220 volt Swimming Pool Pump working via Smart Plug & relay
3 3

12 posts in this topic

I wanted the ability to turn my in-ground swimming pool pump on and off via my smart phone as well as have it operate via a few magic rules. Problem..... the pump is a 220 volt motor and there is no Iris switching device for such. So I picked up a common relay from Radio Shack and wired the pump to the relay and the relay coil to a power cord which plugs into the Smart Plug. Works wonderfully. In the next few days I will post some pictures and part numbers for anyone interested in switching on/off 220v.

scunny and JSMills like this

I would very much like to see some pics and the part number for the relay. I've been meaning to do this for months and never got around to it. I have been controlling one of my garage doors the same way for the last year using a SPST 110 volt relay to replicate the pushing of the wall button energising the relay with a wall outlet.  Having just installed 2 of the garage door controllers this week I have a spare wall outlet that would work fine in this application.I'm also controlling my landscape lighting the same way using the same relays to close the ground on 3 zones and 4 smart plugs controlling the 3 relays and the transformer.

BTW, I've done a little research and found what I believe is a way to save money on the pool pump by running the filter several times per day at small amounts of time totaling less energy usage than say a one time multi hour cycle so the magic rules will be perfect for this.

Better yet go to your electrical supply house and pick up a 20 or 30 amp contactor with a 110V coil. You definately want DPST for switching split phase motor loads.

Make sure you turn over your pool volume once per day. I have my Pentair Intelliflow S-VRS programmed to run at 2400RPM for eight hours during the day and ramp back to 1100RPM at night so the chlorine generator can keep playing catch up with sun-burn.

Better yet go to your electrical supply house and pick up a 20 or 30 amp contactor with a 110V coil. You definately want DPST for switching split phase motor loads.

Make sure you turn over your pool volume once per day. I have my Pentair Intelliflow S-VRS programmed to run at 2400RPM for eight hours during the day and ramp back to 1100RPM at night so the chlorine generator can keep playing catch up with sun-burn.

How many gallons?

20,900 gallons. I have a Bluewhite rotaflow meter on the filter discharge to check GPM, along with Ashcroft stainless suction and discharge pressure gauges for the pump. Running zero cyanurics with an average of .5ppm free chlorine, and a copper algaecide. 40,000 gallon chlorine generator cell.

Nice idea, I like the creativity.  I would love tihs to turn on the spa and heater.  I have a pool and spa that waterfalls into the pool, mine has manual levers to control water flow and suction to each of the units so it is a dream I can never obtain unless they add a outdoor zwave robot that can do the switching for me :) 

Any sort of relay that I could plug in to the smart plug to close a circut when I turn on smart plug? Please post link.

My (very basic) ellectronics knowledge lead me to think that the smart plug should cope with 220v so I gave it a shot and it seems to work. I am only pulling a couple amps but it seems happy.

I actually have mine running with the on off switch. There is 2 110v Lines running in the Pump. I used 1 of the 110 volt lines and let the other stay connected to the Pump. I also hooked up the Neutral that was there and it works and Been working without Fail for well over a Month. the Pump Requires 220 to Run and I am Switching one of the 110 volt Lines

On 8/7/2015 at 7:39 PM, ladams1 said:

I actually have mine running with the on off switch. There is 2 110v Lines running in the Pump. I used 1 of the 110 volt lines and let the other stay connected to the Pump. I also hooked up the Neutral that was there and it works and Been working without Fail for well over a Month. the Pump Requires 220 to Run and I am Switching one of the 110 volt Lines

I was going to post this same question but searched and found this.  I also planned on using an "on/off" switch to toggle ONE of the 110 lines.  I see that ladams1 has done the same thing.  WHY are others talking about a "relay" and what purpose would that serve?  Why can't we just toggle one of the lines?

Here is a link rdisom posted on the official community:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-Z-Wave-40-Amp-Double-Pole-Wireless-Gray-Indoor-Outdoor-Push-Light-Switch/1000167785

https://community.irisbylowes.com/t5/Solutions-Projects-How-To-and/240V-switch-for-water-heater-a-c-water-pump-hot-tub-etc/m-p/784

I posted another possibility below that one but if that device is fully supported it should provide some nice information.  The one I posted I have been using for over a year to eliminate the concern of putting too much of a load on a smartplug.