Keen Smart Vents
4 4

35 posts in this topic

So I have seen some users have already purchased the Keen Vents from Lowes. I noticed that you can only open and close the vents from Lowes Iris. This sparked me to contact Keen and see what all we will be able to do from iris. These are the comments i received from them about Lowes iris and also nest integration. 

Nate_Padgett: Right now that is the functionality with the Lowe's Iris app. Our app will also give you the ability to set the Smart Vents to autobalance temperature in the house. Lowe's system requirements and hub limit access to our algorithms, which make the automation features not possible.

Nate_Padgett: We'll have native integration with our Smart Bridge. Initially the integration will allow you to control your Nest's temperature settings from the Keen Home app, which the Smart Vents will use as a base temperature to autobalance the rest of the home to.

Nate_Padgett: It will be available on November 28th when our app and Smart Bridge ship

I thought this information would be helpful. 

joelh likes this

Hi there! We just wanted to share some additional information about how the Iris app will enable the core functionality of the Keen Vents. Users will be able to execute rules, allowing the devices to interact with the other smart home devices in their Iris ecosystem. Examples of this include opening or closing the vents based upon motion, presence or temperature settings. We are always looking to add functionality to the Iris app and appreciate feedback on these features in the future!

scunny likes this

Can someone explain this disconnect for me?  

My house has been a real challenge to get the temperatures "evened out", so I've read extensively about vents and dampers, etc.  Everything I've read from professionals suggests that you don't want to open/close the individual room vents as it will have a detrimental effect on your HVAC system.  I've found nothing to suggest that opening/closing vents is OK, and in fact, I've found several write-ups tearing apart the idea of electronic vents like these for taking advantage of uninformed consumers. 

So, why would a home improvement company like Lowe's endorse a system like this that most professionals say is bad for your home?  Is there a stash of information out there contradicting all these negative articles that I've simply managed to miss?  I hate to think that Lowe's is just selling anything that seems smart and will make a buck, but that's where my mind is currently heading.  Am I missing something?

One example article is here: 

http://www.energyvanguard.com/blog-building-science-HERS-BPI/bid/76258/Can-You-Save-Money-by-Closing-HVAC-Vents-in-Unused-Rooms

Thanks

I pre-ordered the Keen smart vents and have not received any, so it's frustrating that they are on the shelves in some Lowes stores. they contacted me in September saying they were going to ship them, but nothing happened. I've sent emails following up but no replies.  Strange.

I happened upon one today.  Although I'm not convinced these are good for your HVAC system nor do I fully understand the potential problems I gotta tell you this is one of the highest quality with the best fit and finish of any Iris related product I've seen thus far and that's most all.  It pairs great with V2, the movement is fast and responds well to V2 commands. There are also some limited rules already in place.

ITATodd and dusterp like this

If you have Iris and did the pre order you can email them to let them know you have Iris and you'd like your order shipped now vs waiting for the Keen hub. It's the Keen hub holding these up. I did this an they are shipping mine now.

emtp82 likes this

I happened upon one today.  Although I'm not convinced these are good for your HVAC system nor do I fully understand the potential problems I gotta tell you this is one of the highest quality with the best fit and finish of any Iris related product I've seen thus far and that's most all.  It pairs great with V2, the movement is fast and responds well to V2 commands. There are also some limited rules already in place.

I completely agree.  Too had the good fortune to come across one this week as well.  I'm not sure how good these are going to be for the along term health of my HVAC system, but I suspect it won't have any measurable impact.  As with all things in moderation it's unlikely that one or two vents are going to have a detrimental impact on the HVAC system, after all registers have had moveable louvers practically since forever. 

That aside, this has to be one of the highest quality crowd-funded devices I've ever used.  I'm looking forward to picking up a second for a seldom used basement bathroom.

scunny, dusterp and emtp82 like this

I like them but I'm still waiting for temperature based rules. I have them set based on Motion currently. They are well constructed. Based on the louver design, I don't see how these would harm your HVAC system. I will be getting more.

They need to add the auto mode to iris; they sell these with out keen hub at lowes and iris can't operate them automatically. Rubs me the wrong way... False advertisement.

What's the auto mode?

The auto mode uses the temperature from vents to close or open based on the temp set at the thermostat. So if one room is too hot it would shut the slightly or fully. There's a lowes/keen manual you can download online that says iris will automate the vents if you have a thermostat as well. Edit: tried looking for the article I mentioned; if I find it I'll post it here.

second edit: found the article under irisbylowes website under the support section search "vent".  its a little bit down the first page under keen vents user guide.

So, my house is pretty much all covered in Keen Vents, the only place I don't have them is in 3 spots because basically they don't make those size vents....yet. I've been playing with my for well over 2 months now. I can say that it does make a difference in keeping a room warm/cool depending on how you like to have it by controlling the vents. I'll give more of the good stuff I find with mine then I'll do the bad things. My HVAC system is from the early 90's and is the original in my house. I know that it may probably only last a few more years or less, so if the Vents kill it, then I'm sure I'll find out. I'm ready to replace it out anyways and most likely put in a Dual Zone unit. 2-Story house is why. I can tell you that when you do CLOSE the vents all the way and it senses back-pressure it'll OPEN the vent up partially to relieve any pressure. Controlling each room is nice, but doing it manually right now is a pain, kind of. I'd like to have that automated which from what I understand it will be. 

Now, the things that I don't like are that when the HEAT is on, I see the TEMP on the vent is HIGH, well how am I supposed to know the True TEMP in the room because I can't tell that from the Vent, unless the HVAC system is OFF and we all know Heat Rises. So, without putting a Sensor or something IRIS that monitors TEMP, I really can't see the TRUE TEMP in that particular room. So, HOW we will regulate the TEMP for each part of our homes? From some of the stuff I"m seeing looks like the KEEN's Algorithm won't be used with IRIS? So, basically I'd have to move my Keen Vents off IRIS and let the KEEN HUB control it or ST do it? Not what I want or expected. I really want integration and automation with IRIS. 

I'm about 70/30 on these right now and can say that I do like the fact that I can control some air flow to each area which is pretty much all the bedrooms and Bathrooms right now. They work great to help control the comfort in a room. Like for instance my Living Room is Huge and takes longer to heat up, but is downstairs and I don't want to FRY us upstairs since that'll get warmer quicker. I've adjusted all the bedroom vents upstairs to a certain percentage after playing around to help control the temp of each room, while trying to get the downstairs to warm up at the same pace. I've got that down to about 90% of where I'd like it to be. 

Last but not least I truly don't think that IRIS or KEEN and another manufacturer would have gotten into this market along with investors if they thought it would damage our HVAC systems. Not without those safety features. But, I HOPE that by the time I'm ready for a new HVAC system, that they can and will be a HA model out that that will work with my Vents to control them and the unit.  :)

Got an update from lowesbyiris support. They said that they are currently working on this feature for the next hub software update! I wouldn't be surprised if it launched soon after CES.

Bought a Keen vent to test it as we have a need for tuning the HVAC.  took it home and there is NO way to link it to my hub.

I am going to take it back.  Nice looking toy with no functionality.

I have to ask, why did Lowes decide to roll this product out when it is not useable with their hardware?

Very disappointed.

I am getting pretty upset about this whole migration to the new hub design.  I bought a couple of micro wave sensors to add to my system and the current hub will not connect with them.  I was promised a new hub weeks ago and have nothing.  Now I just burned up most of a hundred bucks on a sensor and this worthless vent.

I recommend that you reexamine your whole process.  I am considering junking the entire system and going with something that actually works.

Bought a Keen vent to test it as we have a need for tuning the HVAC.  took it home and there is NO way to link it to my hub.

I am going to take it back.  Nice looking toy with no functionality.

I have to ask, why did Lowes decide to roll this product out when it is not useable with their hardware?

Very disappointed.

I am getting pretty upset about this whole migration to the new hub design.  I bought a couple of micro wave sensors to add to my system and the current hub will not connect with them.  I was promised a new hub weeks ago and have nothing.  Now I just burned up most of a hundred bucks on a sensor and this worthless vent.

I recommend that you reexamine your whole process.  I am considering junking the entire system and going with something that actually works.

Sounds like your trying to link it up with IRIS V1 hub which it is only compatible with the new V2 Hub System. So, I'd keep it till your V2 hub arrives and then you'll be able to pair it up with the new hub and you'll have control over the vent at that time. I have 6 Keen Vents and they all work fine under the V2 Hub. 

I have several of the smart vents connected to my v2 hub and they work great. I'd hang in there and you will like them with the new hub,  and the ability to use rules and scenes to control the vents, as well as the app.

Mustang likes this

I have two Keen vents and I'm using the hub that Keen sent.It is disappointing ,the range is about twenty feet and it looses connectivity . How is the range with V2 hub?

I have two Keen vents and I'm using the hub that Keen sent.It is disappointing ,the range is about twenty feet and it looses connectivity . How is the range with V2 hub?

I had one packaged in it's box in another area from the hub and it stayed connected.

Mustang likes this