Historical temp & energy reporting
3 3

51 posts in this topic

Just saw you did ask on the Lowes Forum.  I don't know why they won't put the response I listed above in any of the threads over there about energy monitoring,  The quote I show is from a thread about temp graphs.

LobsterBoxed likes this

I don't understand your response because I'm not sure who you are replying to.

What (of the many things about Iris) is wrong.

Your hub knows the battery level, or at least has access to that information on

every battery powered device, they just choose not to do anything with it.

At least that's how I see it being that we can see the battery level of all our devices

through the web portal thanks to thegillion.

I'm saying Lowe's should show the battery percentage in the official app. So yes I know the hub knows it and I do use the gills website. It's a great alternative similar to the Iris+ app. However I didn't buy Iris to have to access a third party website and third party app to manage my smart home. I bought it because I wanted a single app to manage it.

As far as what's wrong my hub is not triggering any of the motion rules to activate my zwave lights. My scenes take several minutes to run if they don't trigger the watchdog process rebooting my hub putting it offline for several minutes. I've done a 2 sec reboot and rebuilt the zwave network several times. Further more I've killed the power to the house to reset the in wall switches. When the lights are on they blink on and off brefily for a few seconds randomly. I had 30 devices offline last night and woke up to 14 offline this morning.

dd11df1c6c53979b1ef02f34309d4cc1.jpg

Re-introducing energy monitoring isn't something we're working on currently. According to our metrics on V1, we didn't see widespread adoption of this feature set. However, we would appreciate use cases for temperature graphing.

Wow...So much builshit there.

As a Lowe's employee, I can tell you exactly why there was no adoption of the feature.  The energy monitoring that you introduced in V1 was limited.  Sure, monitoring the usage of a plug was great, but if I wanted to monitor my entire home usage, I had to either spend weeks hunting down any one of your stores that happened to carry the "Blueline Monitor" or go to another alternative system to use just for whole home usage.  Why?  Because the Blueline units weren't sold but in a few "select" markets (took me 4 weeks of searching before I finally found out from a friend who works at a Lowe's in Seattle that they were stocked in one store in his district).  I spent time searching and found that out of the stores across the US, only about 40 total stores actually carried the Blueline unit (out of approx 1800 stores).  That's where your problem is with lack of widespread adoption.  

I had customers asking me if we carried the unit constantly after I showed them how the energy monitoring worked.  Now, I'm recommending other platforms over Iris for the time being, especially for energy monitoring.

Dan8785, loonytim, scunny and 1 other like this

Thanks Volget -- that explains what I thought was a puzzling statement from Lowes. There is a high correlation between smart home users and those interested in energy efficiency. Lowes is missing the point if they don't market and support this system as an EE tool.

scunny likes this

Dusterp,

I was not suggesting that you use the web portal to see battery levels only that it
proves the information IS there and they choose not to allow us to make use of it.

How many of those offline nodes are GE Z-Wave devices?

Curious because I have had more problems with my GE Z-Wave devices than any others.

I asked the group before and would still be interested to know of those who have GE Z-Wave
devices do they have  a higher frequency of disconnects than your other Z-Wave or your
ZigBee devices.

I don't recall getting many responses other than one who said their GE devices were rock solid
and never lost connection with the hub. Somewhere between the two extremes there are others
with some level of performance that represents the average. I wish we all had zero disconnects
but I think that is far from the truth for everyone.

For me for the past 2 days my GE devices and all others have remained connected. None of
the nodes have been moved and I have not done anything to my wireless network or anything
else around the house that might have cleared up any interference or improved connectivity
between Iris nodes and the hub. So why no problems now I don't know, but its been 10 days
and 7 hours since the last forced reboot of my hub and I have not rebooted it manually.

1 hour ago, sparc said:

Curious because I have had more problems with my GE Z-Wave devices than any others.

I asked the group before and would still be interested to know of those who have GE Z-Wave
devices do they have  a higher frequency of disconnects than your other Z-Wave or your
ZigBee devices.

I have a fairly large system (over 100 devices) with about a 60/40 percent mix of ZigBee over Z-Wave devices and the only issue I have is an occasional disconnect of an uncertified GE Link bulb.  These bulbs use the ZigBee protocol so I can say my Z-Wave network has been solid.  

Communication distance between two Z-Wave nodes can be up to 30 meters (in a perfect world), but the protocol only allows up to four hops between nodes so density can be a contributing factor to a solid network.

Yes, you are the only one who continually reports zero problems with GE Z-Wave devices.

Apparently I am the only opposite to your perfect world.

I am well aware of the number of hops allowed as I have pointed that fact out a couple times over the past 3 months.

30 meters is line of sight with no obstructions such as walls and nothing else operating on or interfering with the frequency used.
NONE of that is realistic in todays home environment unless your home is on a deserted island in the middle of the pacific.

Which is why I think it would be helpful to see the node maps and/or routing tables (you would need separate maps for Z-Wave
and for ZigBee)  and be able to determine the path to the hub for each node.

I also have a large number of Z-wave Devices and the majority of those are GE switches and in-wall outlets and I have had very few issues with mine, a few times I've had some disconnect and not reconnect immediately after turning off a circuit breaker that had a repeater on it.  Those times I either rebooted the hub or did a Z-wave network rebuild and they all came back within an hour.  I agree a network map or at least a page showing signal strength of each device would be great, support seems to have access to this information since once when I called in I worked with a great tech who was able to tell me that my signal strength was fine on all of my devices once I added my second range extender back in (I was having a problem with new Zigbee devices at that time) 

I also have a huge network, 150+ devices and have GE wall outlets, light switches, dimmers and fan controllers in every room and several in exterior outlets on a block and stucco home. My network has been rock solid for several months. I've often wondered why such disparity in network performance across the user base.

My zwave network has been horrible. I had between 14 and 30 devices dropping over the last three days. I have over 140 devices on my hub. To me ZigBee is much more stable over zwave and has a longer connectivity range. I have every light switch connected and my experience has never been solid since going to v2. It may work for a few weeks or a month but it always acts up at some point.

I guess I am in the Z-wave perfect world as well.  I have never had issues with my Z-wave devices.  The only time I had a major disconnect of devices it was all my ZigBee devices dropped. I have 72 devices and 20+ are Z-wave.

My zwave network has been horrible. I had between 14 and 30 devices dropping over the last three days. I have over 140 devices on my hub. To me ZigBee is much more stable over zwave and has a longer connectivity range. I have every light switch connected and my experience has never been solid since going to v2. It may work for a few weeks or a month but it always acts up at some point.

I wasn't able to get my zwave network to stabilize until I remove all 7 of my v2 plugs.

97ee87e8d0c8a8aac35d79153ab0e47e.jpg

So this is a puzzler. For reference, my system is 100+, 26 Z-wave (20 of them GE). Like Vett (100+, @ 40 Z-wave), Terk (large # - mostly GE), scunny (150+ and many GE) and Terminal (72, 20+ GE), my Z-wave devices have been very solid performers for many months.

Sparc (large system, not listed in this thread) and dusterp (140+, 30 or more Z-wave) have experienced a decided lack of stability. We all have large systems with an assumed dense Z-wave mesh. So what variables do they share that we don't?

Dusterp reported that stability was only achieved by taking his 7 V2 Smart Plugs off-line. I have 7 V2 Smart Plugs as well, and they move around the house from time to time with new assignments.  I don't notice any change in dependability of my Z-waves when I do.

My system is only 53 devices, including the hub.

14 of those are Z-Wave and 6 of those 14 are from GE.

The GE Z-Wave are the ones that give me trouble.
The remainder are from Utilitech and First Alert which
have been pretty reliable once the dust settled after
migrating to the V2 hub.

I have 8 V2 Smart Plugs and 1 V1 Repeater. Some of those
smart plugs are not used to control anything and were bought
to try to fill in some dead spots in coverage between the hub
and end devices.

Right now and for the past couple days the system has been stable.
Next time it acts up I will try removing some of those Smart Plugs
whose sole use is as a repeater and rebuild the Z-Wave network
and see what happens.

All this talk about Z-Wave has dragged this thread off topic. Sorry for that.

I have two Aeon Labs energy monitors and would like to use them with Iris.
One will be for monitoring the whole house and the other will be installed to
monitor the 240V charger for the car. Neither is installed yet but I hope to
get to that soon.

I also had a GE in wall dimmer that stopped controlling a light. It seemed to just die. I wonder if this switch was causing a lot of my issues. I had to replace it with a new one. It was the older version that didn't require a neutral. I wonder if this is why some are having issues and others are not.

I have read a couple accounts online of some Z-Wave devices (not Iris but Z-Wave just the same)
going 'rouge' and transmitting gibberish that interferes with everything on frequency.

Last night I got a notification on a topic in the official community forums about energy monitoring by the "operations director"

We were sorry we were not able to bring every single Iris First Generation device to the Iris First Generation platform. The three devices we did not carry forward were the Blueline Energy Meter, the Aeon Energy Meter, and the Ivee voice device. None of these devices were moved to the new platform due to extremely low user counts, and/or the quality of experience they provided our customers. All users with these devices should have received an email informing them of the change on May 2nd, 2016.

Regarding an absence of an energy service at this time, there are several reasons for this.
We heavily prioritize our feature/device roll-outs based on customer demand. Things like a Web UI, Google Home (Coming very soon) and Iris Professional Monitoring (Coming very soon) have very high demand. Unfortunately, the demand for an energy service is very low among our customer service at this time
There is still a general absence of safe, effective whole house connected home energy monitoring devices in the marketplace. Iris is a do-it-yourself solution, and when introducing energy products, we must ensure they are safe to install.
Regarding parity, we are continually balancing customer requests for new products/features with requests for products/features that were available on the old platform. It's also important to remember different members of the Iris team work on different types of enhancements. At a given time we might have capacity in our device integration team that allows us to onboard a new device in an existing family of products, but might be short mobile developer resources that prohibits us from introducing a new family of products that require UI work.

I replied back to reiterate the same thing as another user posted, that there was no contact from the users of the devices in regards to their support being ended. I then explained that when a grand total of 83 stores had the official supported energy monitoring unit (Blueline) and how that the Aeon Labs unit wasn't officially supported until 2015, that they limited the amount of users who could use the energy monitoring.

My post was removed from there by a mod however, which leads me to believe that as it is, we will never see parity, and that they are going to remove negative criticism about the system to try and present a false image. Just in the same manner that most of the negative reviews on the Lowe's site regarding the system have started to disappear.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Thevolget said:

My post was removed from there by a mod however, which leads me to believe that as it is, we will never see parity, and that they are going to remove negative criticism about the system to try and present a false image. Just in the same manner that most of the negative reviews on the Lowe's site regarding the system have started to disappear.

Could you share when you made the post that was deleted.

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 8:28 PM, scunny said:

When you figure out that you can't find another system that can, come back in a couple of months and Iris will be able to.

A couple of months, a year, what's the difference?

Not singling out scunny for his comment, just pointing out how far back this was asked for by everyone and it still hasn't happened.

A couple of months, a year, what's the difference?
Not singling out scunny for his comment, just pointing out how far back this was asked for by everyone and it still hasn't happened.

That's my thing as well. We were promised parity with V1 from the get go. It's still not happened almost a year later and we're still far from parity IMO. I'm just getting tired of being pissed on and being told by the Iris team that it's raining.

loonytim likes this

14 hours ago, Thevolget said:

Last night at approx 12am EST.

They were having a problem with their spam filters deleting posts.  It happened to me.  I reported it and they thought that they had fixed it.  I let them know that it is still happening.   I would suggest that you try to repost until it stays up.  I had to post something three times to get it to stick.