Device disconnection notification
4 4

Device disconnect notifications   100 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like the ability to choose your device disconnection notification preference?

• I would like to have the choice to set my notification to immediate possibly with a time parameter
    • I am happy with the current delayed notification

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

44 posts in this topic

"It's far worse than that. The entire hub can be disconnected for up to 24 hours before you will get a notification about it being offline. The hub disconnect is not even logged in the history. And, of course, nothing that happens while the hub is offline will ever get logged. So, someone could disconnect your internet, break in and as long as they reconnected your internet on the way out, there would be zero indication in IRIS that anything ever happened"

You would think that If you are subscribed to the premium service that the server would be monitoring the status of every hub and report to the owner of record if the hub goes off line. This monitoring would be completely remote to the hub location so no way for anyone to tamper with it or block notification unless they hacked in to the Iris servers. The notification delay if any should be user definable.

I forgot to post, but during some troubleshooting yesterday I got notifications pretty quickly when I unplugged my hub.

"It's far worse than that. The entire hub can be disconnected for up to 24 hours before you will get a notification about it being offline. The hub disconnect is not even logged in the history. And, of course, nothing that happens while the hub is offline will ever get logged. So, someone could disconnect your internet, break in and as long as they reconnected your internet on the way out, there would be zero indication in IRIS that anything ever happened"

You would think that If you are subscribed to the premium service that the server would be monitoring the status of every hub and report to the owner of record if the hub goes off line. This monitoring would be completely remote to the hub location so no way for anyone to tamper with it or block notification unless they hacked in to the Iris servers. The notification delay if any should be user definable

I forgot to post, but during some troubleshooting yesterday I got notifications pretty quickly when I unplugged my hub.

You unplugged Ethernet and got a quick notification?   (Loss of power has always given a quick notification as long as the batteries are working and the internet connection still works.)

You unplugged Ethernet and got a quick notification?   (Loss of power has always given a quick notification as long as the batteries are working and the internet connection still works.)

ok, yeah power cord only.

I just tested my hub.

I disconnected the Ethernet cable at 0658.

After one minute the red and green LEDs started blinking.

One minute later the app showed the hub status as disconnected.

I waited another minute but got no notification in the app or an

email alerting me to the change in status of the hub.

If I had not been actively viewing the app I never would have known

of the change in status because no audible or visual alert was given.

One minute later I reconnected the hub to the LAN, the red and

green LEDs continued to blink red-green-red-short pause-red-green-red...

After about two minutes the LEDs stopped flashing and the green

LED went steady.

The app showed the status of the hub as connected but no

notification received from the app or an email.

NOTHING shows in history.

Unacceptable.

I believe that each device should have its own history page that can

be viewed from the device list with a minimum of 7 days history. This

history should also be downloadable as a text file or CSV file.

I then waited five minutes for everything to stabilize.

I unplugged the power cord to the hub.

Immediately I received a notification from the app.

I waited five minutes as the yellow LED flashed but never received

an email of the change in the hubs' status.

When I plugged the power cord back in the yellow LED stopped and

I again received a notification from the app on my phone.

Again nothing shows in history.

No email to me or the wife of the change in status for any of these tests.

Didn't have time earlier today to write this up but here is another problem with not getting notifications when devices disconnect.

Yesterday evening the wife and I went out to dinner, we got home around 7 PM. When we puled in the drive all the garage doors (#1,  2, & 3) were closed. Walked up to the house and the home scene ran and disarmed the system. Neither of us went out of the house again that evening. This morning I go out around 7:30 AM to get something out of my truck and I find the garage door #1 wide open.

So I asked the wife if she had opened it and she says no. I go to the Iris app on my phone thinking I can find out when the door got opened but alas tilt sensor for GD #1 disconnected around 17:15 yesterday and did not reconnect until 07:00 this morning so no record of when the door opened and nothing in history for the contact switch on man door either. It didn't lose connection just didn't record any opening/closing of the door.

So I went to my security video and reviewed the video from the time we got home until this morning and other than a skunk and a neighbors cat nothing entered or left the garage fortunately.

I do not have a GD opener or interface for Iris. There is nothing automated about my garage door openers. I have a remote wireless keypad outside the garage and the GD buttons in both my vehicles programmed to operate door #1 but nothing else (edit: forgot that my wife has a keyfob that came with the GDO).

Now nothing with the door being opened has anything to do with Iris but I wish that I had received a message when the tilt switch disconnected so I could have checked it out. Also, when you arm the system on a schedule you don't get much of a warning or indication when a security device is offline and you go to arm the system. Didn't the V1 hub warn you with a voice announcement that some devices were offline when arming the system.

Update: Wife and I believe that she may have inadvertently hit her keyfob for the garage door (not an Iris keyfob) when she was digging through her purse that evening looking for something and that is how the garage door got opened after we came home that evening. Its the best explanation we can come up with. Again, this was not an issue caused by or part of any Iris rule or function. But not being able to see the history of when the garage door opened/closed due to a Iris device that won't stay connected was the issue I was bringing up here.

My experience with the tilt sensors has been so bad that I will probably come up with a work-around as others have done that uses contact switches.

This morning I tested my hub, I pulled the power, after about 60 seconds, the red began to flash, the app showed the hub offline.

No email or push notification.

I reapplied power, it went back to green in about 30 seconds and I got an email and a push notification.

So next I dumped the Internet, I pulled the Ethernet from the router and, again nothing.

Upon reconnection of the Ethernet I got a push notification that the hub had been restored.

You get no alerts when you lose the hub but I get them when it's restored. Now that's just plain bad.

I don't think Iris development and the geeks who write code care that the system is a mess.

This morning I tested my hub, I pulled the power, after about 60 seconds, the red began to flash, the app showed the hub offline.

No email or push notification.

I reapplied power, it went back to green in about 30 seconds and I got an email and a push notification.

So next I dumped the Internet, I pulled the Ethernet from the router and, again nothing.

Upon reconnection of the Ethernet I got a push notification that the hub had been restored.

You get no alerts when you lose the hub but I get them when it's restored. Now that's just plain bad.

I don't think Iris development and the geeks who write code care that the system is a mess.

This is just totally not cool at all. So, I did the same and I didn't get ANY PUSH notifications at all to either of my phones. NOTHING! Seriously, It's not been good experience at all. Reason why I stayed on V1 as long as I could. I really hope the DEV Team is getting feedback about what is happening and going on out in the real world. 

OH WAIT a Minute. So, I tried it one more time just to make sure and what do you know, I got a PUSH notification that my HUB is now on Battery Power. And literally got another INSTANT PUSH that it was back on A/C again. So, then I tired to remove the Ethernet cord and waited for the lights to blink that it was now offline and got NOTHING. :(  and of course waited to plug it back in and get my Solid Green Light and still NOTHING. :(

So, I see a lot of things that work as they should at times and then other times they don't. I don't see consistency with the IRIS V2 system. It's like some rules that are set on a schedule that work as they should 1 day and not the next day. 

Its frustrating, but I'm in this for the long haul. Been with IRIS and Lowe's too long to just give up and I really hope they are seeing what it going on out in our homes. They are OUR homes and we want to feel good as well as safe about leaving, knowing we'll get notified right away when there is an issue or problem in our homes. Right now my 3 dogs are doing a great job of protecting it while we are away. 

sparc and Thepurplewing like this

Another bump to keep this on the RADAR.

A month has gone by and not a peep.

On most contracts when one party does not live up to their side of

the agreement the other can withhold payment or take some other action,

but your only choice here is to end the relationship and lose what you

have invested in equipment and services. If I can't recover premiums

paid for months where less than promised performance has occurred how

is that fair?

If I rented an apartment and it was heating season and no heat was

provided or some other requirement of the rental agreement was not

met then there are actions that can be taken as spelled out in the

contract to remedy the situation. But here, where we are trusting

the security of our homes to someone else and paying for the service

yet have no avenue for redress other than to call Support. Are they

likely to give you credit for months where the system didn't perform

as promised I don't know but I doubt it as they would not be able to

collect their "Premium Service" fee from anyone based on performance

to date since forcing everyone over to the new system.

But it's a moot point because in the fine print IIRC they tell you

they make no promises except that they are willing to take your money

with no guarantee that anything will work and don't depend of Iris to

protect your family or possessions or home cause it's basically a toy.

It's getting there but not ready for prime time so I think they should

hold off on charging anyone for their services until they get it right

and have a couple months of stability under their belt, and I don't

think they have reached that point yet.

Sorry, too much coffee this morning, I'm letting the little things get

the best of me I guess.

Dan8785, BB-Nola, loonytim and 1 other like this

Late last night we had a power outage due to someone hitting a pole a mile

down the road. Took about 200 homes offline. The utility line crew was out

pretty quick and they patched it up for the night and got the power back

on in 1.5 hours.

Not a peep from Iris because it never knew what happened. This is because my

three UPSs kept the Iris hub, my internet connection, and my video security

system going the whole time. One UPS for each.

Looking in history I see where multiple devices that are AC powered dropped

out and then later joined back up with the hub when the power was back on.

Same thing happened this morning after I left. Wife texted me to say power

was back off. I told her it was probably the utility putting in the new pole

and transferring cables over from the temp fix they did last night. She came

back 15 minutes later to say power was back on. Looking in history for this

morning I see the same as last night, hub stayed online but AC powered devices

dropped out for the 15 minutes power was out.

Why did we still have internet from our cable provider but not power you might

ask? It's because the power feeds from the other direction so the Comcast cable

was not affected by the downed pole.

That all sounds good but I never got a push notification either last night or

this morning that a dozen devices had dropped out or when they came back online.

So if I had not been home I would have never known that the system was compromised

on two occasions by losing all the devices that act as repeaters for door switches

and other sensors. I should get some type of notification right? And last night I

know I didn't get notified because I was using my phone or had it within arms length

the whole time the power was out. Not a peep.

Sad, very sad.

loonytim likes this

It really drives me crazy.  Especially since V1 notified us all the time if there was an issue.  I feel like with V2, I get notifications maybe 30% of the time.  Maybe.  But, I will say that yesterday, I did get a notification that one of my motion sensors (V1) went off line suddenly.  The battery was dead.  I did not get a notification that it was even close to dying like I used to get on V1.    What is killing me is that this stuff is all basic.  I mean the freaking least this system should be doing, but its not. We don't even know if they are working on it. 

Yeah, we have been getting even less communications lately at least for a while there they had started to update the version release information again but even that has stopped with the last few updates.

So I'd figured I'd bump this since it looks like it's been about a year. I keep having a bulb that disconnects and it's annoying to not find out till either I notice it is off/on outside of the schedule, or I notice it in the app history.

Come on Lowes, how about a reasonable notification? Is this really THAT hard? It's in the history, so the system knows about it. Just change the notification timer, or let the user choose the time.

sparc and loonytim like this

I think the vote tally says it all.

To date 41 out of 41 voted yes they want this fixed.

No hanging chads there to quibble over, fix it.

You are looking at the results of this poll incorrectly.  To date, there have been 100 members who have voted for this to be changed.  Regardless of the number, the fact that nobody has indicated they are happy with current delayed notification should be an indication that this needs to be addressed.

scunny and Thepurplewing like this