Device Battery Indicators
4 4

20 posts in this topic

This has been discussed at great length.  I've personally had devices that disconnect because of a low battery but the device still shows "OK".  One of which was my shutoff valve which could have been very costly in the event of a water leak.

sparc likes this

I keep asking techs at Iris if and when this is going to be improved and they have no information.  It seems that Iris is moving at a snails pace to achieve parity with version 1.  I manage three homes in different states with Iris products.  Being able to determine the percentage of battery life in each device is a huge management tool that Iris apparently is over looking.  Why are they dragging their feet?

Even in version 1 the battery level was never very reliable.  I was woken a few times by smoke detectors that started chirping and never sent a battery low message ahead of time.  This weekend I bought a new Iris water leak sensor which I paired and within 10 minutes got a low battery warning and the devices tab showed 0% and within 3 hours the device disconnected.  I had to remove the device forcefully and re-add it to get it to stay connected and show Battery OK.

I just noticed that one of my gen 2 motion sensors indicates a battery level of 22%, and the other two indicate "OK". Is there a threshold below which the percentage is indicated?

In any case, I'd prefer to always see the percentage, and to be able to trigger notifications when the percentage drops below a percentage of my choice.

Likewise, I'd like to be able to control how I'm notified when a device disconnects.

Is anyone else as frustrated as I am by the lack of what seems like obviously useful features?

Is anyone else as amazed as I am that a product designed to provide home security and safety doesn't have basic ability to monitor its own health?

Dan8785 likes this

I have two systems which have been around for a while and this year device batteries began to fail. So far I have replaced batteries in 8 devices and only one of them actually gave a low battery alarm before disconnecting. All the others disconnected still showing the battery as "OK". I only had 2 batteries fail while still on V1 and both gave a low battery alarm. Battery indicator in V2 is useless.

The low battery alerts are random at best. The percentage should constantly show. I know hub is polling for it because I've seen it in my zwave sniffer traffic.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

sparc likes this

Ah I figured it out, Tapatalk was launching in an internal browser that didn't register my sign in. Looks awesome.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

No offense, but I do not want to see percentage any more than I want to see OK.

I want to see battery VOLTAGE

IRIS knows the battery voltage right now.  That is how they derive OK

I can manage my devices with much more freedom if I know battery VOLTAGE

I have learned that each system component type, has its own exact voltage that it stops working at.

Give me VOLTAGE or give me death.

...... I have learned that each system component type, has its own exact voltage that it stops working at. .....

Can you share this info with everyone? 

Here is what you would use to get the voltage 

Y = P% * X  

Y = Battery current voltage .

P% = Percentage of a device.

X = Start voltage of a battery.

So let's say we have a contact sensor and the start voltage of the battery is 3 volts and its show 50%.

1.5 = 50% * 3

So now we see the current voltage of the device battery is 1.5 volts.

Can you share this info with everyone? 

Here is what you would use to get the voltage 

Y = P% * X  

Y = Battery current voltage .

P% = Percentage of a device.

X = Start voltage of a battery.

So let's say we have a contact sensor and the start voltage of the battery is 3 volts and its show 50%.

1.5 = 50% * 3

So now we see the current voltage of the device battery is 1.5 volts.

No it measures usable voltage.  50% is closer to 2.8 volts.  The Centralite devices are supposed to work down to about 2.2 volts and the starting voltage of a 3 volt CR2 is about 3.3 volts.

sparc and dusterp like this

Sounds like to display this would require a custom bit of code for each device make/type along with a knowledge of what the operating voltage range is for that device.

I guess you could have all that information available in a lookup table that lists each device and the min/max voltages and those values could be plugged into the script to yield the calculated voltage. I say calculated because I am assuming devices do not report the actual voltage but the battery condition as a percentage. This is based on what I see in the device details as below. I don't see an actual voltage reported for any of my devices. Is that the case for everyone or just me?

"devpow:battery":40

Also, how does knowing the voltage vice knowing the percent remaining usable SOC for a battery improve managing your equipment? Either value tells you how far to empty so to speak. I don't see what you will gain by knowing voltage in place of percent. That is assuming the percentage is ranged over the usable voltage range for that device such that (to use the example that Otto gave) o% is 2.2V and 100% is 3.3V in which case a 50% SOC would be about 2.7V.

Is it really easier to remember the voltage range for each device make and type vice a quick glance at a percent battery level?

thegillion, dusterp and Terk like this