Rule to Turn Off Switch Based on Motion Ending?
2 2

4 posts in this topic

I'm trying to set up a rule (or rules) in v2 where the system turns on accent lighting in the master bathroom sink-area that's connected to the master bedroom based on motion or a switch, then turn off when the motion stops. (There's no door in between, the thought is to provide a small amount of light so one of us can see enough to get over there without waking the other. The button is by the bed, the motion sensor is near the sinks, angled so it only sees the local area.)

I set up a rule to toggle the light switch based on the button.

I set up a second rule to turn on the light switch based on motion, and turn it off 30 seconds later. 

However, if the button is the initial trigger, it doesn't turn off 30 seconds after motion ends - the button needs to be pressed again. Anyone know if there's a way to make this automatic?

I guess the backup plan would be just to force it off if it's left on for more than 10 minutes. 

c379776 likes this

Just documenting in case anyone else tries the same... the Iris Tier 2 guy who fixed my camera today confirmed that this is not possible with the current rule setup. You can't turn a switch off based on lack of motion unless that motion rule initially triggered the switch on.

Just documenting in case anyone else tries the same... the Iris Tier 2 guy who fixed my camera today confirmed that this is not possible with the current rule setup. You can't turn a switch off based on lack of motion unless that motion rule initially triggered the switch on.

Correct.  It also is not currently possible to have multiple motion rules to control a light like you could in v1.  Here is the related bug report. 

http://forum.livingwithiris.com/index.php?/topic/2209-rule-duration-bug-in-ver-18/

kayak and dusterp like this

I don't know whether Iris pays more attention to this site or their new "Iris Community". In case they pay more attention to the latter, I encourage anyone interested in this feature to click the thumbs up button for the "Vacancy Rule" feature suggestion in the Iris Community.

Link to "Vacancy Rule" suggestion - https://community.irisbylowes.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Vacancy-Rule-motion-has-stopped/idi-p/1650