Dimmers Turn On and Off at Random Percentages
2 2

37 posts in this topic

Every time my dimmers turn on, they turn on at a random percentage, not at the last percentage that I had it set to.  Also if I turn them off with the app the light turns off but the app may show it on at some random percentage even though the light is off.  Touching the off button again (sometimes more than once) will finally cause the app to show the dimmer as off.  Whenever the dimmer is turned back on either from the switch itself, the app or via a rule it is anybody's guess as to how bright it is going to be.  

sparc likes this

I always turn on my lights on a dimmer not by clicking the on button, but by clicking the dimmer circle on the app to the point I want the lights to turn on at.   I've consistently gotten my desired brightness by turning the lights on that way, instead of the ON button.  

I always turn on my lights on a dimmer not by clicking the on button, but by clicking the dimmer circle on the app to the point I want the lights to turn on at.   I've consistently gotten my desired brightness by turning the lights on that way, instead of the ON button.  

That is a good work around but not possible with rules.  This behavior is also new.

Dan8785 likes this

Every time my dimmers turn on, they turn on at a random percentage, not at the last percentage that I had it set to.  Also if I turn them off with the app the light turns off but the app may show it on at some random percentage even though the light is off.  Touching the off button again (sometimes more than once) will finally cause the app to show the dimmer as off.  Whenever the dimmer is turned back on either from the switch itself, the app or via a rule it is anybody's guess as to how bright it is going to be.  

Are you talking about In-Wall switches, or bulbs that can be dimmed? My bulbs that are on a schedule seem to turn on at exactly the level I schedule them for, and if I use the Lights and Switches card to simply toggle them On or Off they seem to turn back on at the last level I used, although the display on the card seems to sometimes get confused.

I have some Z-Wave In-Wall switches that I have not installed yet, so I was wondering if I should expect problems with those (I know there are ZigBee ones as well now but I only have the Z-Wave versions).

Are you talking about In-Wall switches, or bulbs that can be dimmed? My bulbs that are on a schedule seem to turn on at exactly the level I schedule them for, and if I use the Lights and Switches card to simply toggle them On or Off they seem to turn back on at the last level I used, although the display on the card seems to sometimes get confused.

I have some Z-Wave In-Wall switches that I have not installed yet, so I was wondering if I should expect problems with those (I know there are ZigBee ones as well now but I only have the Z-Wave versions).

In wall GE Z wave dimmer switches.  

I was seeing similar random behavior with my GE in-wall dimmer switch.

I thought it was just not remembering or that because I had manually

adjusted the level and that is where it was turned off at by a rule that the

new light level became the default brightness. It was bugging me because

what I have been trying to do with this switch is control our back porch light.

At sunset I want it to come on at 20% and stay that way until sunup, this I

have controlled by two rules.

But I also have a motion sensor that watches the back porch, and I want the

motion sensor to bring the light on at 75% when it sees motion, then turn it back

to 20% after one minute. I can make it turn the light off after a minute but not

reduce the level to 20%, it seems its off or nothing.

I've never found the combination of rules that would let this happen as above.

Is it possible?

I was seeing similar random behavior with my GE in-wall dimmer switch.

I thought it was just not remembering or that because I had manually

adjusted the level and that is where it was turned off at by a rule that the

new light level became the default brightness. It was bugging me because

what I have been trying to do with this switch is control our back porch light.

At sunset I want it to come on at 20% and stay that way until sunup, this I

have controlled by two rules.

But I also have a motion sensor that watches the back porch, and I want the

motion sensor to bring the light on at 75% when it sees motion, then turn it back

to 20% after one minute. I can make it turn the light off after a minute but not

reduce the level to 20%, it seems its off or nothing.

I've never found the combination of rules that would let this happen as above.

Is it possible?

As far as I know you can only have a dimmer come on at a certain percentage with a scene, otherwise it comes on as it was set last.

Thepurplewing and sparc like this

Ok, thanks, that explains it. Not what I wanted to accomplish but maybe

someday they will figure a way to make it happen. There are bigger

fish to fry that's for sure.

My plug-in dimmer switch is set by a schedule to come on at 100%.  The past few days it has been turning on at 31% then going to 100% within a minute.  It has been turning off by going to 60 something % then to off within a minute.  Nothing to contribute, just relaying my experience.

sparc likes this

I think they are having issues pushing firmware. I have several devices disconnecting and constently trying to update firmware killing the battery.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Thepurplewing likes this

I've had this issue since early summer, about two months after I installed my dimmer switch.   Basically if I set the app to say, 25% lighting, then turn off the screen of my phone after several seconds to several minutes the lights may go brighter or dimmer on their own.    It sometimes takes me having to open the app and modify the brightness level several times before it'll become stable and remain at a constant brightness.   The app history does not show any changes to the dim setting when the dimming level has changed on its own.  It reports when I change it, but not when it happens on its own.  Has anyone else had this behavior?   I've repaired the device and it still persists.  

I have 4 dimmers to install in the next two days after I rework the existing wiring. Seems Dad had been in the Jack Daniels when he wired the rooms downstairs. This is the last big space without Iris and I've got the dimmers here, I bought them from Home Depot on sale, and we shall see if they act up from the beginning.

Being an electrician for 35 years, I remember now why I hated residential work.

I'm having this problem as well.
I have two GE in-wall dimmers in my kitchen that turn lights on with motion for 5 minutes.
When they come on, they seem to come on at a random brightness.
This morning one came on at 28% and the other came on at 3%.

Just an update, I've noticed over the past few days that these two dimmers ALMOST NEVER come on at 100% brightness.  Every time they come on I walk over to the dimmer and turn them up to 100%, but it seems like the next time they are turned on via motion the same thing happens again. This morning I noticed the one "came on" but was dimmed to the point it appeared it was completely off.
I've got these GE in wall dimmers (or switches) in every light in the house. All the bedrooms have dimmers, but they are not controlled via motion, and they don't have any issue that I've noticed. Same goes with my living room and dining room lights. One bathroom and the hallway are on motion, but they are switches (not dimmers) so the only ones that give me issues are the only dimmers on a motion sensor (2 switches in the kitchen controlled by the same motion rule).
I'm thinking this bug is somehow triggered by dimmers being turned on and off by a rule, or the fact that one motion detector is triggering 2 identical rules for 2 different lights.

As this appears to be a somewhat widespread issue, has anyone here contacted Iris support about this already?
I wonder if they are already aware of this problem or if we should report it somehow?
It would be nice if there was a list somewhere of known issues so people weren't constantly calling and bugging support for issues they are already aware of.

I have a similar problem with one at work.  It is turned on by a rule: turn on dimmer when alarm mode changes to Off.  Comes on at really low, random percentages.  Regardless of the setting I left it at.  

Just an update, I've noticed over the past few days that these two dimmers ALMOST NEVER come on at 100% brightness.  Every time they come on I walk over to the dimmer and turn them up to 100%, but it seems like the next time they are turned on via motion the same thing happens again. This morning I noticed the one "came on" but was dimmed to the point it appeared it was completely off.

I've got these GE in wall dimmers (or switches) in every light in the house. All the bedrooms have dimmers, but they are not controlled via motion, and they don't have any issue that I've noticed. Same goes with my living room and dining room lights. One bathroom and the hallway are on motion, but they are switches (not dimmers) so the only ones that give me issues are the only dimmers on a motion sensor (2 switches in the kitchen controlled by the same motion rule).

I'm thinking this bug is somehow triggered by dimmers being turned on and off by a rule, or the fact that one motion detector is triggering 2 identical rules for 2 different lights.

As this appears to be a somewhat widespread issue, has anyone here contacted Iris support about this already?

I wonder if they are already aware of this problem or if we should report it somehow?

It would be nice if there was a list somewhere of known issues so people weren't constantly calling and bugging support for issues they are already aware of.

I'm having the same problem when using a rule to turn on a dimmer when triggered by a motion detector. it comes on dimly and not back to the previous brightness

Has anyone contacted Iris support about this?
Hopefully they are aware of this bug.
I've not had the time to deal with phone support to call it in... is there some other way?

Has anyone contacted Iris support about this?

Hopefully they are aware of this bug.

I've not had the time to deal with phone support to call it in... is there some other way?

They are aware.