Cutting the cable
5 5

103 posts in this topic

I use the Channel Master. I used to have Tivo but you have to have a monthly charge.

I pay no service charge. I believe last year there was a service charge for the grid, but it is no longer so.

I use the Channel Master. I used to have Tivo but you have to have a monthly charge.

You have to pay tivo for use of their service. This can either be a monthly fee, or a one time "all-in" payment for the lifetime of the device.

The new Roamio OTA units have the service fee included in the price of the box. For all others you have to either pay monthly, or buy an "all in" plan (formerly known as lifetime subscription).

I pay no service charge. I believe last year there was a service charge for the grid, but it is no longer so.

If you are not paying a service charge, you have either a "lifetime subscription", or an "all-in" plan.

If its a newer Roamio OTA, then the all-in plan is included when you purchase the box.

If you are not paying a service charge, you have either a "lifetime subscription", or an "all-in" plan.

If its a newer Roamio OTA, then the all-in plan is included when you purchase the box.

Maybe the all-in plan was included, but at a small premium. Still works better than the other two I tried. I liked the Chanel Master but the tuner sucked. the Tablo didn't seem finished. 

Maybe the all-in plan was included, but at a small premium. Still works better than the other two I tried. I liked the Chanel Master but the tuner sucked. the Tablo didn't seem finished.

I liked the Chanel Master but the tuner sucked???

the grid set up was good, but would only see half of the stations my tv did, most were weak signals with lots of pixaling . the Tivo scanned more than my TV and signals are stronger (very few drop outs or pixaling)

I have a TiVo Series 3 with lifetime subscription now.

I also have OTA antenna through which we get about 40 channels, of which about 24 are of any interest to us.

I have not tried the TiVo connected to the antenna but I believe it is possible. I have an earlier version of the TiVo collecting dust that maybe I will see what I can do with it. I know without a subscription it will be crippled but its worth a try to see what it can do. I wish there was a way to hack an older TiVo and it them into a decent DVR. Just wipe the whole HD and load a new system on there. I believe they use a trimmed down version of Linux now. Shame to have all that money tied up in what is essentially a boat anchor without a TiVo subscription.

I have a TiVo Series 3 with lifetime subscription now.

I also have OTA antenna through which we get about 40 channels, of which about 24 are of any interest to us.

I have not tried the TiVo connected to the antenna but I believe it is possible. I have an earlier version of the TiVo collecting dust that maybe I will see what I can do with it. I know without a subscription it will be crippled but its worth a try to see what it can do. I wish there was a way to hack an older TiVo and it them into a decent DVR. Just wipe the whole HD and load a new system on there. I believe they use a trimmed down version of Linux now. Shame to have all that money tied up in what is essentially a boat anchor without a TiVo subscription.

I used to have a Tivo about 5 years ago and this is why I sold it, I didn't want to pay a subscription to have a DVR. I did purchase a Channel Master DVR system and no subscription for this.

I am not sure what Tivo systems you have, but I did see where you can upgrade the hard disk in the unit real easy.

Well if you plan to use a TiVo for more than a couple years its makes sense to buy the lifetime subscription because after 3 years you are saving money over the annual subscription. Yes its not free but its painless once you fork over the $300 or whatever it was back when we bought it which was over 7 years ago.

Yes, I can plug in additional storage in the form of external hard drives but I have never come close to running out of storage space and we usually have two hundred or more TV episodes saved at any given time. Netflix has negated some of the need to record whole seasons of a show and many movies, but there is still much that we like to watch that is not available from Netflix.

I like to record NASCAR races and watch them when I want, same for football games and other events. Being able to skip through the commercials and half time of FB games is nice too.

I love the TiVo OTA and it was upgraded to have auto commercial skip. You push a button and it instantly skips over the entire commercial. You can also watch it in fast foward mode with normal sound, no chipmunks. With Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and YouTube it's a one stop shop for all your viewing pleasure.

How does the channel Master compare to the TiVo for those that have switched?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

sparc likes this

I'm out of touch with the latest TiVo products. As I said we've had ours Series 3 for about 7 years I think now.

Is there a TiVo that can connect to cable using a cablecard AND also be connected to an antenna at the same time? From what I have read it's either one or the other or some models are OTA only, no compatibility with cable or satellite receivers.

I love the TiVo OTA and it was upgraded to have auto commercial skip. You push a button and it instantly skips over the entire commercial. You can also watch it in fast foward mode with normal sound, no chipmunks. With Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and YouTube it's a one stop shop for all your viewing pleasure.

How does the channel Master compare to the TiVo for those that have switched?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

The Channel Master is something like the Tivo, you do have a channel guide like cable or Tivo, it does have some apps build in, you can get a build in hard disk, but I have a 3TB USB drive to record local TV, you don't have a limit on the amount of hard disk to hook up. Also you don't have to pay a monthly fee. I also have a Roku 3 device and a Plex server running Linux with 3 hard disk installed. The server does 3 things only, 1. it runs the Plex server to view my movies, pictures etc, 2. It also streams all my camera's. 3. It also backs up my main office computer so I have a backup of all my needed files and pictures. I take photography as a hobby and I shoot in RAW, so taking a few hundred pictures is nothing in a heart beat.

The Channel Master is something like the Tivo

Also you don't have to pay a monthly fee.

Isn't the 1TB dual tuner channel master $349?

The Tivo OTA comes with lifetime subscription (so no monthly fee) and is only about $50 more than the Channel Master.

It also has 4 tuners instead of 2.

Speaking of plex, the Tivo has a plex app as well as hulu and netflix.

It boggles my mind why Channel master does not have apps for the 2 most used streaming services.

I really think the Tivo Roamio OTA is the better buy. It's only $50 more, it has lifetime service, the user interface has been hailed as one of the best interfaces of any kind in history, and you get apps for the most popular streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime)... If you bought the $349 Channel master, you'd have to add another streaming device if you want netflix, hulu, or amazon prime. You can get sling.tv with the channel master though... but for me the price of sling defeats the purpose of cutting the cable. By the time I paid for sling.tv, netflix, and hulu, I could just go back to cable.

scunny likes this

Isn't the 1TB dual tuner channel master $349?

The Tivo OTA comes with lifetime subscription (so no monthly fee) and is only about $50 more than the Channel Master.

It also has 4 tuners instead of 2.

Speaking of plex, the Tivo has a plex app as well as hulu and netflix.

It boggles my mind why Channel master does not have apps for the 2 most used streaming services.

I really think the Tivo Roamio OTA is the better buy. It's only $50 more, it has lifetime service, the user interface has been hailed as one of the best interfaces of any kind in history, and you get apps for the most popular streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime)... If you bought the $349 Channel master, you'd have to add another streaming device if you want netflix, hulu, or amazon prime. You can get sling.tv with the channel master though... but for me the price of sling defeats the purpose of cutting the cable. By the time I paid for sling.tv, netflix, and hulu, I could just go back to cable.

Yes, The Channel Master does have a 1TB if you buy it build in, I didn't purchase that one. I added my own 3TB drive. I think it was $ 299 I have sling, Netflix and Hulu.So my fee is about $ 50 per month , which cable TV was about $ 159 about 3 years ago.

Directv opened up today offering 100 channels for 35/month.  If you prepay one month you get a Fire Stick with voice remote and if you prepay 3 months you get an Apple TV. No contracts. The 35 for 100 is a promotional offer but is grandfathered in as long as you keep it. Otherwise it's 60 per month.

You can stream on Amazon Fire, Apple TV, Android phone or tablet 4.4 and higher, Chromecast, IOS devices 9 and higher and browsers.

Update to add this is a new streaming service no dish involved.

Directv opened up today offering 100 channels for 35/month.  If you prepay one month you get a Fire Stick with voice remote and if you prepay 3 months you get an Apple TV. No contracts. The 35 for 100 is a promotional offer but is grandfathered in as long as you keep it. Otherwise it's 60 per month.

You can stream on Amazon Fire, Apple TV, Android phone or tablet 4.4 and higher, Chromecast, IOS devices 9 and higher and browsers.

Update to add this is a new streaming service no dish involved.

100 channels of your choice of 80 channels of junk they think you need and 20 you pick.

I switched from Dish to Cox cable last year and my promotional pricing for the first year will be running out soon. I am going to look into the Direct TV deal. 

Cox recently upped our monthly internet data usage to 1TB/month.  It was only 360GB.  They had no set policy if you went over, which we never did.  We currently don't get anywhere close to the old limit with just Netflix and Amazon prime, and other various streaming from websites.  If we started streaming everything I wonder if the 1GB would be enough.   I do have a antenna in the attic and a computer set up with DVR software for capturing OTA, so I don't need to stream network stuff, but that is only a slight portion of our TV watching.  

Cox has it set up now If you go over the 1TB limit, they add another 50GB and charge $10.00 for each additional 50Gb they add.  So I wonder how all streaming will effect my internet monthly bill.

I got a mailer from DIsh yesterday where they are now offering a Flex pak , 50 channels for $39.99. It does require a dish, but it's still on the house, so I can switch back easy.  We very seldom lost signal, it had to get pretty bad before we got complete signal loss.

[edit]  I was just talking with one of my co-workers and he mentioned the Sling service it sounds pretty similar to the Direct TV service you mentioned.  Guess I will have to check these out.