Current Rating...
1 1

23 posts in this topic

I've come into a 2nd Gen Hub and have been reading about the horror stories, especially comparing to 1st Gen. I don't have any other devices at the moment, but am looking to build a home security system. Seeing as how I've had this for a few months now, I'm trying to read up on how/if things have improved since it first came out. Would you say that the "major" problems have been addressed? If you weren't coming from a 1st Gen, would you invest in the new system? I just want to know what I'm getting myself into before dropping a couple hundred dollars for sensors, pads, etc.

I currently have 80+ devices on my system and on a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate Iris at an 8.5.  I'm using the system for both security and home automation and it's doing everything I want it to do, but I think there is always room for improvement.

loonytim likes this

I have 30+ devices, I would say that if you have 1st gen devices you will have a better time then with v2.0 devices. Now Vettester is right there is room for improvement.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I would have to give it a 5.  At this time I would not recommend it to anyone. That being said it mostly works.   I give it the 5 rating because it is mostly just annoying.  I would say 50% of the time I need to open the app and close my garage door or turn on a light, the app will take forever to load or lock up completely and I have to close and reopen.  Also I have a scene to close both my garage doors and turn off all lights and lock doors.  I think it works, but It just takes so long that most times I still have to close the garage doors with the normal remote.

When I activate a scene it will sometime be 10 minutes before some of the commands show up in the log. 

There are still several basic functions that we had in V1 that are still not available, granted there are some functions available that we did not have in V1. 

Temperature graphs, filter reminders, lock scheduling ,web access, local processing.  All these are supposedly on the way.  I have had a useless energy monitor for over a month now, since they shut down V1.  The V2 energy card has been coming soon for about a year now.  This last one pisses me off more than any other. I will admit.

loonytim likes this

I'm at about 80 devices and I would give it about an 8. It is certainly more "plug & play" than Smart Things, but it still requires you to be willing to spend some time understanding the layout of the app, the difference between Zigbee and Zwave and the way they communicate with specific devices, some pairing (or re-pairing) techniques, etc. I have a significant base of lighting and electrical control devices, 7 entry doors, various motion sensors, 6 cameras and 2 thermostats (much of which is accessible for integrated voice control with the Amazon Echo). It has taken some time to get there, but it is basically on auto-pilot now.

Have 60 devices and now returning 18, after changing internet and trying to reconnect my 3 cameras that need to be reset manually. I wasted many hours before giving up. They hardly work to begin with. Last week had a car pull in my driveway and walk around, the camera missed the car pulling in or leaving, only captured a quarter of the car sitting in driveway.Anyway i'd give it a 4.

Almost 40 devices, stopped adding devices because of Lowes handling of Iris. Overall though it works, as expected. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone at this point though, just as I'm not sure how much longer it would be around.Overall I saved enough money compared to a traditional alarm system that my investment payed for itself now.

All my devices pretty much function exactly as they should. The few times they haven't, I have been able to call tech support and get things functioning again. Iris is not without it's hiccups for sure. In the beginning I had to take time to set things up and placed correctly to prevent false alarms and such, but now I have no issues, or false alarms. So overall my experience has been decent, the system does work well once you get it setup.

The other problem and it's well documented is Iris just releases updates without testing. We are the beta testers unfortunately. When they break something, you just have to hope they fix it quickly.

At the moment the biggest problem with the system is if you lose power or internet it will cease to function, and it will not let you know. (V1 did).

My recommendation to anyone this late in the game would be to setup a system with primarily Zwave devices and V2 sensors, that way you could always move your system to Smart Things later if Iris did decide to shut down. I really hope this doesn't happen, but never hurts to have an exit strategy (I really hope it doesn't happen since my most of my system is V1 sensors).

I would currently rate it at a 6/10 for me.    If I hadn't gone with Version 1 and already had a lot invested I would have probably went with something else.  I've already had to downsize my Iris Ecosystem because of how poorly items have worked on V2.   This includes having to go with other solutions for cameras and a thermostat.    I also would have gone with something else because Iris partially sold me on being able to monitor the energy usage of my home and it can no longer do that for me and no word when that functionality will be added back again.   It's been long enough that my feelings toward Iris are more Bleh than anything else which is really disheartening considering the amount of money so many have in the system .    

Energy usage was something I was looking forward making use of

too, but now it is gone and no word on when or if it will be back.

I understand that they may not want to make promises or set a date

when this or that will be turned on or operational again, but maybe

a more general statement that they are working on bringing this back

hopefully be the end of the year or 6 months form now. That would be

better than saying nothing and losing clients because of total silence.

At least I could know that its a ways off in place of now where I just

make a SWAG and maybe decide to go with some other system. Iris is not

the only fish in the sea, and some of those other fish are bigger and

smarter.

Dan8785 and cbtexan04 like this

Sparc, Yes, that X100!!   The lack of communication is the biggest thing for me too.  I really don't appreciate as a customer always being left in the dark about all things Iris except for what we find out through the board.   It's a huge turn off.   There are days that I feel like leaving just out of spite.  It would be really nice to know if we're waiting forever for something that is actually never going to happen.  It's frustrating.   

cbtexan04 likes this

I had Iris on two installations.  V2 on one and V1 on the other.  Right now my V2 is functioning decently with around 60 devices attached to it.  I have significant trust issues using it as a security system, because every time an alarm is triggered at my business (luckily they haven't been anything serious yet), the system completely chits the bed. Cameras don't record of they disconnect, other sensors go off line, etc.  

For the automation part, it has been stable for a couple months now and seems to work well, but I did disconnect my Iris Thermostat because I wanted to be able to control the fan for general circulation around the building.  That has proven to be a real good decision. 

My other V1 system which was setup at my home now has about 40 devices on it, but I switched that over to Smart Things and couldn't be happier with that system and how it functions.  

I'll echo everything that was said above.  Iris V2 has a LONG way to go to get back to where it was with the V1 system (if they will actually reach parity).  The lack of communication from the company is unnerving but more so is their need to bill you for a system that is severely hamstringed.   

Overall, I would give Iris V2 a 7/10.  But that is improved from earlier in the year when I would have gone on a complete rampage destroying anything with an Iris V2 on it. 

It's a neat system, and I hope they keep improving it, but I don't hold my breath anymore.  

I'd give iris a 7.5 or 8. (I would have given V1 a 9.5)
I have 50 devices and it's mostly trouble free. I have no issues with the alarm functionality (other than no local processing).
Right now I am struggling with a light switch that seems to come on again after it is turned off in the app, and two lights that seem to come on at a random brightness instead of 100%. Out of all the lighting in my house being on iris, those 2 issues are the only problems I have had.
When it comes to security I've got window and door sensors on all my windows and exterior doors, 2 keypads, various motion sensors, a deadbolt, camera, siren, and smoke alarm. They all function perfectly, but I don't have any V2 devices other than the hub.

Eh~  I have 66 devices, 13 cameras that I have taken off IRIS again, so 53.  Works pretty good until I upset the zigbee network by adding or moving something then there is havoc until I shut off a couple of repeater-plugs and let it settle down. I'd give it a 7.

Not at this point in time.  The problem with most or all of us is that we used V1 for a long time and it was rock solid and only had a couple of hiccups along the way.  This "upgrade" was forced on everyone and has left many with systems that do not handle the same basic functions that the original performed.  But, they are making it better.  It just should never have been rolled out the way it was, it should have been a completed and functional system with the minimum standards of V1 and better device quality. 

Honestly, it's still a toy. It may well be a more refined toy than it was when v2 initially rolled out, it's still a toy. Until such time that off-line processing becomes a reality it cannot and should not ever be considered for a security or even a realistic automation platform.

So what I'm hearing is, if you're already invested, it's not a bad system, but most of you would not invest from scratch at this point.

@@IrisByLowes This is a huge problem when you have your user base unwilling to recommend your product to a potential customer.

1. Your product is not bad. It needs improvement at this point, but not huge amount. What really needs rebuilding, is rebuilding the trust of your customers. We are not just users, many of us are paying customers, and buying hardware. Not sure how much good will you have left.
  2. What happened to parity? We keep adding new features, which keeps adding bugs. The reviews in the app stores clearly show people don't care about having a new heater or vent added. They want their system to do what it did before.
  3. This is something that needs turned around quickly.

In my personal opinion I feel like communication is the key here. Iris has not been open enough with the community.

@ZeroX, and most of us still have mostly positive things to say. Just as I said, also look at SmartThings, and see if you think that is something you would be interested in. As you may want to have an exit strategy, and the Zwave devices, and V2 Iris devices can be used on Smart things. So if Iris goes under due to their poor decisions, you could move to Smart Things.

loonytim likes this

Thanks...

I was looking at SmartThings as an alternative - it just seemed to have a higher up front cost vs. already having a v2 hub and getting some sensors at Lowes.  If the ST sensors work with the v2 hub, maybe just getting a few to try out won't be too bad.

I have 2 systems, work & home.  Overall I would give it 8 or 9.  I have not experienced many of the issues that some users have, so I am pretty happy with it.  I use the systems in different ways, the work system being almost strictly security and the home system a combination of security and automation.  I currently have everything I had in V1 and more.  More devices, more rules, and more capability.

I do wish they would go back to the workbench on the V2 smart buttons.  Everything else I have is good.

I would probably feel differently if I had some of the problems that other users have experienced.  I guess I've just been lucky.

:unsure: So I bought a few z-wave door/window sensors off Monoprice, following the advice on this thread... it paired, but is shown as "unsupported device".  So it's not enough to just get z-wave devices, you need to get CERTAIN KINDS of z-wave devices.  I think I've pretty much thrown in the towel, even with having received the hub for free.

A friend this past weekend was saying he wanted a security system and asked for recommendations.  I know he basically just wants a system where he can monitor a couple of doors with a camera and would probably have been good with self monitoring, but I did not even mention to him about using Iris.  I know a guy that installs alarm systems and I just directed him to that guy.  If he had asked back when we had V1 I would have told him I would help him set up a Iris system, but no way I am getting in the middle of that with V2.