Update to Record on Motion

6 posts in this topic

Maybe it's just me but the way the cameras handle record on motion seems problematic.  I have a motion detector in my shop and it is set to record on motion, there is also the camera motion detector and it will record if a door or window is opened.  The problem is that if these events overlap which always happens you get many small recordings instated of one long one.  It seems to me once a camera starts recording it should not be started again until it completes it's current job.   Perhaps if they allowed the user to set time between motion capture.  In the shop scenario I would want the detectors to wait at least 2 minutes between captures, in instances where I am keeping a light on it could stay as it is now.  Anyone else have a problem with this.

loonytim and sparc like this

Never thought about it but one rule or scene clipping another is probably why I get some blank recordings from time to time.

I have a rule to start recording when a motion sensor sees movement and another to record when the doorbell is pressed. The clip saved by the first rule is always a few seconds long when it should be one minute. The second will also get clipped when the motion sensor sees movement again after the person moves away from the doorbell and into view of the motion sensor again.

Guess I need to decide which rule serves me better but as you suggest one rule should not cancel another out. Is this caused by a toggle type command? You would think that if a device is ON then a second ON command would not turn it OFF.

If in the rule you had a drop-out timer that would be nice. Then the camera would start recording and continue recording until a user defined length of time had passed then turn recording off, or is that how it is supposed to work now?

Also, I just tried to download a video clip and it tells me I don't have enough space on my device to download the clip which is only 720kb, but my phone has 3GB of free space on the device and 11GB available on the SD card.

Just as an example, this morning when I went out on got on my bike and went to work.  There were 6 recordings made.

The first was 9 seconds when I opened the shop door, the the next 5 were from movement from the motion detector.

They were 42s,1m,55s,2m,4m.  The shop door opening is set to record for 5 minutes.  So the one 5 minute recording from the door could have covered the whole time period, no need for all the other recordings. 

sparc likes this

Back when the camera motion sensor was way to sensitive and almost always recording for a few day period, I disabled the motion record rule and turned on a rule to record on any of the three doors opening and noticed this a bit when I would open the door into the garage then open the garage door. But when I enabled the motion rule again and didn't turn off the door rules I really noticed this and ended up turning off all of the door rules again so it is only my camera motion sensor triggering the recordings. I agree there should be a way for you to be able to have multiple sensors start a recording and the system would notice if another sensor triggered but the camera was already recording and let it proceed and only start a new file if the first recording time ended before the subsequent triggered recording times would have ended.

sparc likes this

This is a bump to keep this in the limelight but also while fixing the recording issue above is it
possible to have a user selectable number of seconds that video would be captured preceding
the moment when the record action was triggered.

I'd like to be able to set my one camera to grab the previous 30 seconds when it is triggered to
start recording when the doorbell is pressed. That way I catch the person coming up the drive
before they even get to the house and I've got something on tape so to speak should they
disable the camera.

My other camera I'd like to set to grab the previous 10 seconds, which is why I say it would be
nice to be able to pick between a couple times like 5, 10, 20, or 30 seconds.

AFAIK there has been nothing done to resolve the recording overlap or clipping issue. Are those
who originally reported this still having the issue or did you work around it somehow.

loonytim and Terminal like this