Do I need a new Hub???
2 2

44 posts in this topic

Ok, if this comes off wrong to people I apologize but I'm SICK OF THIS CRAP!!!!!!!!

I've been putting up with my GE Indoor light switches connecting and disconnecting since the new hub, camera problems, the whole 9 yards. But it's just getting ridiculous now!!!!!!!!

Every time I turn around something is disconnected. I setup two outside GE Light Switches for the Christmas Lights and they do nothing but connect and disconnect everyday!!! Sometimes one sometimes both. My indoor light switches are doing the same thing!

I just looked before writing this and now MY THERMOSTAT IS DISCONNECTED!!!!!!!!!!!

I've had this system since it first came out and like an idiot keep buying things for it!

And to boot I'm now paying for the fastest speed internet and also bought a few new smart plugs to help with the network.

Now my new IPhone 7 isn't recognized by the system so I don't get push notifications!!!! Something I rely on!

Am I the only one with all these problems constantly? I know people are having the iPhone 7 problem.

It would be NICE IF THE IRIS TEAM WOULD AT LEAST ADDRESS THE IPHONE 7 PROBLEM!!!!

Just sick of having to waste SO MUCH TIME dealing with a this on a regular basis!!!!

sparc likes this

I have had none of these major connectivity problems since switching to V2. However I have a couple of range extenders on my system. There is a lot of debate about whether they help or not ,or even work on V2. I believe the v2 smart plugs are supposed to act like range extender as well (for Z wave at least I think,). I'd get a smart plug and add it to your system and see if it improves things. If not then there may be something wrong with your hub.

usmcss likes this

I have 56 devices connected, and the only problems I ever really had were the couple of outages which were reported as widespread here.
I did have an issue with one light switch constantly disconnecting and reconnecting not long after the switch to V2. I did a 2 second hub reset and everything has worked fine ever since.
I have a few known bugs, (lights that don't turn on at 100%, etc) but nothing with devices going offline.
All in all, if we had local processing I'd be pretty happy with my system. Sure, there are a few new features and integrations I would LIKE to see, but for the most part mine does everything I need pretty reliably.

usmcss likes this

I also have had a very stable system and can verify that the range extenders definitely help as I removed 2 a while back and for the first time had a bunch of stuff fall off the network, but the range extenders repeat Zigbee not Z-Wave so if the switches in question are Z-Wave you'd need to use another Z-Wave switch between it and the hub or a v2 Smart Plug to repeat that signal.

usmcss likes this

I don't know if you have seen an increase lately, but I have. The past few days I am having a lot of disconnects/reconnects. I might try a short-button reset tonight to see if that changes anything.

usmcss likes this

Thanks a lot guys for all the replies!!! The main problems seem to be with the Zwave devices and I have two Gen 2 Z-Wave Smart Plugs, one in between both trouble areas.

I guess I will get two more to see if it helps any.

I hope I don't need a new hub as I'm sure I would have to pair everything back and that would be a nightmare!!!

Thanks again guys!

And it has been in the last few weeks weather 42 that I have seen more problems then usual. Actually for a while it seemed things were working ok until as I said the last few weeks.

GE Z-Wave devise are my problem child, and have been since going to the V2 hub.

I just got over a week with out being able to get them to reconnect at all.

Should have done earlier what I did at the end of the week and force removed them all from the network and then reset the hub and bring them all back in. For me that is 3 GE outdoor plugs, 1 GE smart plug, and 1 GE in wall dimmer switch. I played with trying to repair them, the Rebuild Z-Wave network tool, and moving closer to the hub to repair. Moving to within direct communication with the hub was the only thing that worked. I could pair them up again immediately and if the device stayed there it did not lose the connection. But if I moved it back to where I needed it to work then it lost the connection within 24 hours, probably within a few minutes but the hub did not report it as AWOL for 24 hours. That to me points toward a problem with Z-Wave packets being repeated through the network or maybe something is hosed with the packet itself (not formed correctly, bad header, etc) such that it is not recognized by the repeaters in the network.

So I got them all paired up again and got everything back to how I had it. Next day 2 outdoor plugs lost connection to the hub. Later that day the in wall dimmer switch dropped out. It's been 2 days and I have the dimmer working again but the two GE outdoor plugs are still AWOL.

I have a network of 9 smart plugs now. The V2 smart plugs are supposed to repeat both Z-Wave and ZigBee packets. Z-Wave allows four hops between the end device and the hub, none of my paths back to the hub from any device should exceed 3 hops, but since we can't view the routing table there is no way to see which device can see its neighbors, signal quality, or how many hops from one device to the next.

I wish they could figure this out. As I said in a previous post I will not buy any more Z-Wave devices and am looking at changing out my Z-Wave junk for ZigBee wherever I can. NONE of my ZigBee devices cause me this pain. I have 49 devices in my system right now, with about a dozen more still in boxes as spares or waiting to be deployed when I find a use for them. NONE of those are Z-Wave.

loonytim and usmcss like this

I too am curious about a few things.  1)  How wide spread is this problem.  You hear spatterings of people with z-wave issues on mid-sized systems, but enough to see that there is a problem.  2)  Why is the range of the Z-wave radio in the V2 so bad?  How can a device be "upgraded" but have so many problems.  3)  For those of you without problems, are you sure you are without problems?   For at least the 2nd time in a week, I have noticed that my Z-Wave devices are "connected" in the iris App, but not actually functioning.  I have a Schlage Lock that is "connected" but is not reporting any events.  It decided this morning not to function right.  I also have one GE switch and one GE outlet that are reporting "connected" but are actually not running any events either.  I also have an outdoor plug that reports as connected but cannot be controlled via the app/hub.  I normally look at my app and say "Hey, everyone is happy, it looks like we are in good shape", but if you dig deeper and look at actual event recordings (let alone the issues with notifications) you may start seeing some issues present themselves. 4)  Why is "Resetting your Hub" and/or "UnPair/Re-Pair your devices" even an appropriate response for bugs on the system?  Up until V2, I had always enjoyed and valued my Iris system, but now  I'm having a real hard time staying positive with a system that was so poorly planned and executed. 

These issues do not happen consistently, and I cannot find a rhyme or reason to them.  My whole system worked perfectly with V1.  The placement of all my devices remained exactly the same when I "upgraded" to V2, with the exception of having to add some V2 "Smart Plugs" for range issues.  With V2, I don't think you can actually trust that what you are seeing in the app is actually what is happening on your system.  

Ugh.  But my problems aren't as bad as some.  I just have doors that decide to unlock randomly, or lights that don't want to turn on or off. 

For those of you without problems, are you sure you are without problems?   

Yep, I'm positive that I am not experiencing any issues.  I have a total of 45 Z-wave devices on my system and I honestly can't remember the last time one disconnected on its own.  With the exception of my smoke/co and water leak detectors, I use all these devices on a daily basis and I can see they work as expected. 

I have 70 total devices 21 of which are Z-Wave.  I have 13 Z-wave GE switches, and they have never given me a problem.  If any of them did I would know it.

Well it looks like I have the exact same situation as Loonytim and Sparc. Right now all is good except one outside z-wave light switch. But I know by the end of the day that will probably reconnect and the other one will go out or an indoor switch will disconnect. It's all Z-Wave for me too. Except for the thermostat that went out a few days ago and reconnected. Not sure if that's z-wave.

93 devices, of which 48 are z-wave. In terms of staying connected, they just do. Other than the first few weeks of my move to Gen 2, when dimmers were acting squirrely, they've been practically mission-critical in performance.

This topic raises again the question of how helpful or unhelpful a dense mesh is.  For me, it seems to provide real stability.

loonytim likes this

Had one out today now 5 are disconnected! IRIS team can you give advice???

Is there any kind of pattern to the disconnects?  Maybe one switch that always disconnects first?

GE Z-Wave devise are my problem child, and have been since going to the V2 hub.

I just got over a week with out being able to get them to reconnect at all.

Should have done earlier what I did at the end of the week and force removed them all from the network and then reset the hub and bring them all back in. For me that is 3 GE outdoor plugs, 1 GE smart plug, and 1 GE in wall dimmer switch. I played with trying to repair them, the Rebuild Z-Wave network tool, and moving closer to the hub to repair. Moving to within direct communication with the hub was the only thing that worked. I could pair them up again immediately and if the device stayed there it did not lose the connection. But if I moved it back to where I needed it to work then it lost the connection within 24 hours, probably within a few minutes but the hub did not report it as AWOL for 24 hours. That to me points toward a problem with Z-Wave packets being repeated through the network or maybe something is hosed with the packet itself (not formed correctly, bad header, etc) such that it is not recognized by the repeaters in the network.

So I got them all paired up again and got everything back to how I had it. Next day 2 outdoor plugs lost connection to the hub. Later that day the in wall dimmer switch dropped out. It's been 2 days and I have the dimmer working again but the two GE outdoor plugs are still AWOL.

I have a network of 9 smart plugs now. The V2 smart plugs are supposed to repeat both Z-Wave and ZigBee packets. Z-Wave allows four hops between the end device and the hub, none of my paths back to the hub from any device should exceed 3 hops, but since we can't view the routing table there is no way to see which device can see its neighbors, signal quality, or how many hops from one device to the next.

I wish they could figure this out. As I said in a previous post I will not buy any more Z-Wave devices and am looking at changing out my Z-Wave junk for ZigBee wherever I can. NONE of my ZigBee devices cause me this pain. I have 49 devices in my system right now, with about a dozen more still in boxes as spares or waiting to be deployed when I find a use for them. NONE of those are Z-Wave.

All of what you just posted is exactly the situation I have. Had about a 2 month period where everything worked great.....then an update was run and back to the problems. I am not buying any more Z-Wave products until this isn't happening. It's pretty frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sparc likes this

Yep, I'm positive that I am not experiencing any issues.  I have a total of 45 Z-wave devices on my system and I honestly can't remember the last time one disconnected on its own.  With the exception of my smoke/co and water leak detectors, I use all these devices on a daily basis and I can see they work as expected.

But how many are from GE? The only problem devices I have are from GE. MY 4 smoke/CO detectors are Z-Wave and function flawlessly.

For those of you having problems with Z-Wave devices, it would be helpful if you stated how many are GE and how many are another brand.

For me it's like this

GE Devices = 5 with 4 of the 5 having a recurring connection problem

First Alert = 4 and NO problems, rock steady, never lose communication or malfunction

Everything else in my system is ZigBee, and only a couple of those gave me headaches when I first transitioned over to the V2 hub. Since then they have been very reliable with only my 3 NYCE Tilt Sensors dropping out occasionally but they have been fine for the past 3 months.

Yes, I too had about a 2 month run with no problems with anything in the system. But starting last month (Nov) the Z-Wave issues started up again.

For those looking for more information on how Z-Wave operates than

the little bit Iris gives us, the following should be helpful.

http://www.vesternet...z-wave-networks

From reading the above and thinking about the problem I have with my GE devices I am inclined to think the problem is with how the GE devices using or understanding my local mesh network and the routing table. Since they work fine when in direct communication and only have a problem when they have to communicate with the hub through a relay it leads me to believe something is amiss in the GE device and not the Iris hub.

usmcss likes this

You have run Z Wave optimization, correct?

What happens to the Z-Wave Optimization routine if even though

you leave the app open as requested your phone goes to sleep.

Does the routine still run in the background or can the OS running

a battery saver routine halt the app until the phone is awaken again.

If it stops then the optimization would take forever to complete without

some type of heartbeat subroutine that would override the phone and keep

the app running. Not being a programmer I am sure I have not worded this

correctly but I think you get my drift. :-)

loonytim likes this

But how many are from GE? The only problem devices I have are from GE. MY 4 smoke/CO detectors are Z-Wave and function flawlessly.

For those of you having problems with Z-Wave devices, it would be helpful if you stated how many are GE and how many are another brand.

For me it's like this

First Alert = 4 and NO problems, rock steady, never lose communication or malfunction

Everything else in my system is ZigBee, and only a couple of those gave me headaches when I first transitioned over to the V2 hub. Since then they have been very reliable with only my 3 NYCE Tilt Sensors dropping out occasionally but they have been fine for the past 3 months.

Yes, I too had about a 2 month run with no problems with anything in the system. But starting last month (Nov) the Z-Wave issues started up again.

From reading the above and thinking about the problem I have with my GE devices I am inclined to think the problem is with how the GE devices using or understanding my local mesh network and the routing table. Since they work fine when in direct communication and only have a problem when they have to communicate with the hub through a relay it leads me to believe something is amiss in the GE device and not the Iris hub.

I just checked my home system and it is 27 GE devices, 1 First Alert, and 1 Radio Thermostat, 2 Linear GDOs, and 1 oddball appliance outlet (can't remember the brand).  I did find out that my thermostat is disconnected while looking though, so thanks for that.

I used to have issues with 3 of the 4 outdoor modules disconnecting, a different one about every week or 10 days.  That has not happened for several weeks now.

I have had a GE switch disconnect each of the two times I moved my Wink hub.  The repaired without issue.  I assume it was due to interference introduced by the Wink hub move.  I have had nor more issues since leaving the hub in its current location.

For me it's like this

For those looking for more information on how Z-Wave operates than

the little bit Iris gives us, the following should be helpful.

http://www.vesternet...z-wave-networks

22 GE devices - No issues

Thank you everyone and IRIS for responding!!! I have run the Zwave Optimization but will try removing resetting the smart plugs and doing it again. Do I need to remove the old smart plugs as well or just the second Gen Ones? Thank you!!!