Do I need a new Hub???
2 2

44 posts in this topic

@usmcss: Can you try removing and resetting your Iris Smart Plugs. After that, run the Z-Wave Optimization.

I removed the two 2nd Gen Smart Swtches I have and I reset them by holding the button in and plugging it back in until the light come on. I tried to remove it with the Zwave remover and it just kept beeping.

Anyway I paired them both back up and I'm running the optimizer now.

I would imagine that everything that is disconnected would have to be connected for the optimizer to work?

Do I need to remove and reset the old smart switches too?

Thank you for replying IRIS, it means a lot to all of us!!!!!

Ok, everything is back on line. The keypad was a battery issue. I will let you guys know how it goes! Thank you all and thank you IRIS for stepping in. We really need more of that.

Funny how the Gen 2 Keypad has two giant CR123A batteries and its alarm is as quiet as a mouse. And I have turned it all the way up. Everything is still up and running.

sparc likes this

Yep, I'm positive that I am not experiencing any issues.  I have a total of 45 Z-wave devices on my system and I honestly can't remember the last time one disconnected on its own.  With the exception of my smoke/co and water leak detectors, I use all these devices on a daily basis and I can see they work as expected.

Do you have three GE outdoor switches?

I'll send you my crappy ones and take three of your good ones. :)

Here's a couple screen shots of the app to show what it looks like on a 'normal' day for me.

OD is a GE Outdoor Switch.

post-4879-0-96495000-1481319660_thumb.jpg

post-4879-0-34244700-1481319661_thumb.jpg

post-4879-0-64379700-1481319661_thumb.jpg

loonytim likes this

Do you have three GE outdoor switches?

I'll send you my crappy ones and take three of your good ones. :)

Here's a couple screen shots of the app to show what it looks like on a 'normal' day for me.

Sorry, but I only have two of these.  I really don't care for them because they don't have the range I need.  I've had better success using V2 smart plugs installed inside an outdoor enclosure.

Below is a normal day for me, with everything working.

post-122-0-20049100-1481331411_thumb.jpg

sparc likes this

"I really don't care for them because they don't have the range I need. I've
had better success using V2 smart plugs installed inside an outdoor enclosure."

So essentially you agree that the GE outdoor switches have a problem which you
refer to as a range issue, and you've worked around it by using something else
and adapting it to function where the GE outdoor switch was intended to be used.

But maybe your range problem is the same one I am seeing. Mine work fine too
when they are within 10 feet (with no obstructions such as walls) of the hub.
When they are moved out past that and are dependent upon another device to relay
packets to/from the hub is where I find problems.

If the best all three of my switches can do is ~10 feet LOS from the hub then
the radio must be very weak, poorly designed antenna, or some other manufacturing
or design defect such as bad code at the transport or routing layer.

I see my link to an explanation of Z-Wave networks was been removed. Sorry all but
you will have to Google "Understanding Z-Wave Networks, Nodes, and Devices"

on your own as apparently educating people about how the system works is verboten.

usmcss likes this

I wouldn't say they are bulletproof, but I am using 4 of the GE outdoor modules much further than 10 feet from hub. Closest one I have is 20 feet, then 25 feet, 60 feet and last one is about 60 feet in the opposite direction in another building. That one has 2 exterior walls between it and the hub. 3 of the 4 are running Christmas decorations on a schedule every night, so I would definitely know if they don't work. These are the same ones I had random disconnects with, but have been good for a couple of months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sparc likes this

So essentially you agree that the GE outdoor switches have a problem which you

refer to as a range issue, and you've worked around it by using something else

and adapting it to function where the GE outdoor switch was intended to be used..

I wouldn't say I agree that they have a problem, its just that the way I have my system setup, the ZigBee protocol just works better for me outside.  If you're are only getting 10 LOS you definitely have a problem.  Not knowing all the details of how you have your system setup I would suggest you remove them completely from your system and start over.  After using the Z-wave removal tool re-pair them in close proximity to your hub and then as @rdisom suggested, try spacing them out accordingly.

Here's one for you; my 2nd Gen Keypad that disconnected had dead batteries. I removed the batteries and it has been sitting all day yesterday and today with the batteries out. But all night it's been connecting and disconnecting??? Is it due to a slow discharging capacitor???

Also, I have a facucet controller that has never had a schedule. Last night it said Schedule applied. I went to make sure there isn't a schedule and there isn't???

Bad Hub?

I moved my smart plug last night so I could use it for my Christmas Lights. It is no long fee between my foyer and front yard light switch. The foyer switch disconnected. I'm going to put it back in between the foyer switch and the Hub.

Now it looks like I have to buy more 2nd Gen Smart Switches just to get things working and do what I want to do like use one for my Christmas tree. More money! Sorry but this isn't right to have to buy smart switches when the switches the smart switches are helping work are only 20 feet from the Hub!!!

post-4907-0-34754600-1481380912_thumb.png

post-4907-0-64243200-1481380930_thumb.png

Hmmm... these are both odd issues that shouldn't have occurred.  I would suggest you call support and see if they can explain.  If you do call them, would you please post their response to this thread?  

usmcss likes this

I wouldn't say they are bulletproof, but I am using 4 of the GE outdoor modules much further than 10 feet from hub. Closest one I have is 20 feet, then 25 feet, 60 feet and last one is about 60 feet in the opposite direction in another building. That one has 2 exterior walls between it and the hub. 3 of the 4 are running Christmas decorations on a schedule every night, so I would definitely know if they don't work. These are the same ones I had random disconnects with, but have been good for a couple of months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mine were behaving until a couple weeks ago, then they started acting up.

Hmmm... these are both odd issues that shouldn't have occurred.  I would suggest you call support and see if they can explain.  If you do call them, would you please post their response to this thread?

Yes Vett, I'm hoping IRIS on here will answer but I will give them a call on Monday.

@usmcss: Can you try removing and resetting your Iris Smart Plugs. After that, run the Z-Wave Optimization.

Ok everyone, it seems that this was the Fix for me! Things have been very stable for two days now! Thank you IRIS Team.

I was having some very strange things happening that I wish you could address IRIS. I had no batteries in my 2nd Gen. Security Key Pad and it was connecting and disconnecting.

I also had my faucet controlling setting scheduling when I have never set up a schedule for the facet controller. And there isn't any listed.

I have since put new batteries in the keypad and it is saying connected. The scheduling on the Facet controller has seemed to stop as feel.

This info might help with other issues people have.

Thanks!

Ok everyone, it seems that this was the Fix for me! Things have been very stable for two days now! Thank you IRIS Team.

I also had my faucet controlling setting scheduling when I have never set up a schedule for the facet controller. And there isn't any listed.

I have had my hose end controllers run their schedule a couple of times even though I put them on manual back in September. Not consistently it will just randomly run the schedule.  It runs at the time it was last set to by the last schedule I was using.  By randomly I mean just out of the blue it will run one morning.  They are currently setting in my shop and not connected so it's not a big deal, but apparently there is some kind of issue with schedules.  Also it's been a couple of weeks since it happened so maybe it's taken care of now.

usmcss likes this

Thanks Terminal! It's just weird because I never setup scheduling or have any listed in the app for it. Probably related somehow to what you are experiencing.

I have had my hose end controllers run their schedule a couple of times even though I put them on manual back in September. Not consistently it will just randomly run the schedule.  It runs at the time it was last set to by the last schedule I was using.  By randomly I mean just out of the blue it will run one morning.  They are currently setting in my shop and not connected so it's not a big deal, but apparently there is some kind of issue with schedules.  Also it's been a couple of weeks since it happened so maybe it's taken care of now.

I had to go in and delete my schedule completely, setting it to manual didn't work for me, it still wanted to run the schedule on manual.  This was a couple of weeks back though.

Now my thermostats don't work lol! The one is 15 feet from the Hub. Says it's connect and shows temp in app but can't be controlled by app! Never ending! I should be getting paid to keep my house lights on, heat on, house secure........ or maybe just hire a live in maid and Butler to keep things running!

I took the batteries out for 30 seconds and put them back and still doesn't work.

loonytim and sparc like this