Cameras & Videos - Incredible and Irritating
1 1

13 posts in this topic

In the last two days, my V2 cameras seemed to become much more sensitive to motion, then seemed to go back to normal. The attached is a video snip of a passing garbage truck a good 80 yards from the camera. And it wasn't a fluke -- the camera caught it going both ways. That's great in certain circumstances, but I also had to delete a bunch of videos that occurred about every twenty minutes, seeming to show nothing. I'm guessing there was some slight movement in the trees. Anyone else see a bump in sensitivity in that time frame?

So, that's the incredible part. The irritating part is two-fold:

1) When I'm deleting videos through the app, the top-most video almost invariably renders as the wrong screen shot. The information shown is correct, i.e., which camera and the time stamp, but the image is usually the image of the screen shot just below it in line. Click on the video, and I get the right recording, but the screen shot for it is from the one below.  If I drag down a little bit and then back up to the top image, it usually fixes it. Is this a problem for others?

2) If I have deleted a large number of videos, and then try to go back to my remaining video clips, I get the message: "You have no video clips." (It's like the Gatekeeper in the Princess Bride: "I have no Gate Key." You know it's lying, but don't have Andre the Giant with you to threaten your app.) When this happened today, I continued to get that message for almost 2 hours before my clips were available to me again.  Is this a common problem?

IMG_4802_Moment.jpg

I can't say I have ever had the issue with deleting that you describe.  I also can't comment on the camera sensitivity as I quit using motion on the camera and added a motion sensor to my shop and I use that to trigger recordings.

I stopped using the Iris app's camera functionality because of its limitations a few months ago and have never looked back.  Third party apps can add much more functionality to the cameras.

Never had a problem deleting clips.

My two cameras rarely capture anything on motion, it's almost like its not functional in there two cameras.

I use a motion sensor or another trigger to be able to record video with either camera, but to get them to
record using the internal motion sensor has never worked for me in 3 years.

I had my motion sensors on the cameras go hyper sensitive after a firmware update a few months ago, at the time I switched over to using contact sensors instead to trigger the recording since I was getting so many recordings for that time, however after a few days it settled back to normal and I switched back to the built in motion sensors on the cameras and haven't had issues since.

Maybe that's part of the answer Or problem) for me. Both my cameras are wireless and
as I understand it they will not get updates unless connected by Ethernet. Unfortunately
they are located in places where removing them and connecting to the LAN is difficult
and piping Ethernet to them is too which is why they are wireless to begin with.

I'd prefer a more secure hardwire connection like the rest of my cameras but wireless
will have to do for these two.

So maybe since I am running the original firmware on these cameras is why they are
not having the problems others are seeing and also why they don't work as I expect
them to with the V2 hub. IIRC I didn't have a problem with my first outdoor camera on
the V1 hub detecting motion and triggering recording. My second camera is a 2G outdoor
camera, slightly different from the first but also made by Sercomm.

loonytim likes this

Sparc, is that a "new feature" In Our upgrade to v2?   I remember v1 cameras would update on wireless.  It took a long time and did t always work, but you had a button to push on their web app that let you choose when to upgrade them.  

Wow, there are like 3 parity items in just this simple post.  Hah. 

21 minutes ago, sparc said:

I thought it was always over Ethernet. I never heard that the V1 cameras could update over Wi-Fi.

You're right, with V1 the camera had to be connected to your router with a cable to receive updates.

Is V1.0.04 the most recent firmware for V1 Cameras?  I have not hooked up my cameras to Ethernet in over a year so I was curious if I need to hook them up to Ethernet to get any updates or if I already have the most recent firmware

sparc likes this