Thermostat not responding to iPhone app
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I have a 1st Gen thermostat and a Gen 2 Hub.  Over the past two months, I've experienced several cases where the thermostat won't respond to temperature adjustments made via the app or where manual temperature settings on the thermostat don't appear on the app.  For example, if I want the heater to come on, I'll raise the temperature on the app.  The app will look like it's sending the request but after about 30 seconds, the previous temperature setting will appear and the heat doesn't come on.  When this happens, the only way to adjust the thermostat is to do it manually.  Last night, my son set it manually at the thermostat for the AC to come on but the app didn't show this change, so in effect the AC was running when the temperature inside was already below the setting showing on the app.  It took about a dozen attempts on the app before the thermostat finally recognized my command to turn off the AC.  I do have a range extender but the thermostat is well within range of the hub even without an extender.

Two months ago while we were away during Thanksgiving.  I noticed that even though I had set the thermostat to minimize run time, it had reverted back to its daily schedule and was heating the home when no one was there.  When I got home, I took out the batteries, did a hard reset, deleted the thermostat from the app and hub, and repaired with new batteries.  Apparently that worked for about 6 weeks.

The batteries in the thermostat are good.  I've logged out of the app and back in.  I've even deleted and re-installed the app.  No success.  The firmware on my hub is V2.0.2.016.  My iPhone app version is 1.15.1.

I've had lots of issues since the hub "upgrade" with sensors losing signal, batteries running down faster, and now a thermostat that seems to need resetting/repairing every month.  I've had IRIS for several years but I'm ready to admit this was a bad purchase.

I have a similar problem where when I adjust the temperature in the app it doesn't "stick" and reverts back to the previous temperature. However I have found that if I don't exit the app straight after adjusting it, or go elsewhere in the app, the temperature adjustment is more likely to stick.   ie. make the adjustment and just keep the app open and stay exactly where you were in the app, and wait and it will work.  This seems to work most of the time.  But it's really annoying that I have to do that.

ghvz1 likes this

I have other Zwave devices do this when they aren't actually connected to the hub. There for a while my door lock would do this. Every few days the the app and hub would think it's connected but it really wasn't. If you hit the unlock button in the app it would just sit there forever and act like it was trying to unlock, but it never would. If I popped the batteries out of the lock, and put them back in, and reset the hub, everything would re-connect, and all would be good again temporarily.

Eventually I found a device with low batteries, that I believe was the actual cause of my Zwave problems. However not after remove and repair all my Zwave devices. However somewhere between removing/repairing all the Zwave devices, and replacing all the batteries my problems have been solved. Just an FYI, my low battery device was a smoke detector, that was so low it wouldn't even test, and it never even did the low battery beep, and still said ok in the app....

On a side note, I wish the thermostat adjustments would wait a second and let you make a final adjustment before sending. IE, if the temp is currently set at 65, and I want to change it to 70, I wish I didn't have to wait for it to send 66, 67, 68, 69, etc. It takes to long. Give me a second, and let me choose what I actually want, then send that to the thermostat.

44 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

On a side note, I wish the thermostat adjustments would wait a second and let you make a final adjustment before sending. IE, if the temp is currently set at 65, and I want to change it to 70, I wish I didn't have to wait for it to send 66, 67, 68, 69, etc. It takes to long. Give me a second, and let me choose what I actually want, then send that to the thermostat.

I don't adjust my thermostat that often in the app, but when I do, I agree it's annoying.  I have to push the up or down and wait second for it to set then send the next and so on.  If you tap the button quickly it will just be a waste of time as it will go back to that first adjustment.

With mine at my rental house, I have it set on auto and I find it works the best of you grab the little arrows around the dial and drop it where you want it. For me that seems to work better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, accessdenied79 said:

With mine at my rental house, I have it set on auto and I find it works the best of you grab the little arrows around the dial and drop it where you want it. For me that seems to work better.

I tried Auto several times and it would mess up and cool the house down the the Heat setting or heat it to the Cool setting.  For example, if it was 70 inside and I set the Heat to come on at 65 and the AC at 75, the heater would come on and heat up the house to 75 and then the AC would come on and cool it down to 65.  It'd keep going back and forth like this.

6 hours ago, Terminal said:

I don't adjust my thermostat that often in the app, but when I do, I agree it's annoying.  I have to push the up or down and wait second for it to set then send the next and so on.  If you tap the button quickly it will just be a waste of time as it will go back to that first adjustment.

I did notice that issue as well.  If it was 62 inside and I wanted to warm it up to 67, I would have to tap +, wait for everything to catch up, tap + again and wait and so on.  Seems like the overall issue is it just takes time for the hub and t-stat to catch up.  

7 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

I have other Zwave devices do this when they aren't actually connected to the hub. There for a while my door lock would do this.

That is why I haven't gone to the door locks!  Nothing would be as bad as not being able to get in especially if I left a code with a neighbor to let the dog out and feed him.  IRIS is much too finicky for me to try the locks.

3 hours ago, ghvz1 said:

That is why I haven't gone to the door locks!  Nothing would be as bad as not being able to get in especially if I left a code with a neighbor to let the dog out and feed him.  IRIS is much too finicky for me to try the locks.

Using the keypad on the lock itself still works fine when this happens, it just means the lock can't be controlled by the app or the alarm.  So I still can operate the lock without a key. So if your neighbor had a code, it would be no worries.

The lock in my opinion has been an excellent purchase. I bought mine through an online vendor though. It was still new in retail packaging, but saved me a fair amount of money. Just if you buy one online for use with Iris, make sure it has the Zwave chip, many of the ones that are dirt cheap, don't have the Zwave board included (It's sold both ways, and you can buy the board separately, but it costs as much or more than buying it with the lock typically).

On 2/3/2017 at 5:16 PM, ghvz1 said:

Once the codes are uploaded to the locks, they are in the locks.  You can throw your hub out the window and the locks would still work.  Iris allows you to unlock and lock with the app and upload codes to it.  Once they are in there, they stay until you tell Iris to remove them.

Edit: oops just noticed after I typed this, there was already a response below it.