Garage Door Lock
2 2

11 posts in this topic

Anyone here used a Iris compatible deadbolt to lock their
garage door or been thinking about how it might be done?

I'd like to have this capability to lock the door up tight
when we're away so the door can't be forced open or
the GDO defeated which really doesn't provide as much
security as you might think. It's not too difficult to get by
the GDO, but I will not go into details here about that as
they're not needed.

I was thinking of mounting the deadbolt just to the outside
of one of the rails and the throw of the bolt would protrude
into the path of the wheels preventing it from moving. The
deadbolt would need to be positioned so that the door could
not move more than an inch which means you just need to
place it so the bolt is positioned an inch above one of the wheels.

Some rails (or tracks if you prefer to call them that) have
perforations in them at various intervals but they may not work
as far as placement of the deadbolt to prevent movement of the
door. Shouldn't be too hard to cut a square hole of the slightly
larger than the deadbolt.

If you have a better idea I'd like to hear about it.

Honestly, the GDO provides zero security at the moment, thanks to V2 Iris. Also thanks to Lowes / Iris to giving us a heads up on this change when they rolled this out.

That being said, if some next level hacker that is capable of hacking the GDO, they are probably capable of hacking the deadbolt as well.  There was a story a while back where at a security conference they were hacking Zwave and Zigbee devices now. Honestly we (well most of us) aren't trying to stop the next level hackers from getting into our homes, we're trying to stop the idiot smash and grab crack heads.

Not that your idea won't work, most garage doors have a manual lock on them already. When I go on vacation, I push this over, and put a bolt through it so it can't be moved back.

2 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

Honestly, the GDO provides zero security at the moment, thanks to V2 Iris. Also thanks to Lowes / Iris to giving us a heads up on this change when they rolled this out.

That being said, if some next level hacker that is capable of hacking the GDO, they are probably capable of hacking the deadbolt as well.  There was a story a while back where at a security conference they were hacking Zwave and Zigbee devices now. Honestly we (well most of us) aren't trying to stop the next level hackers from getting into our homes, we're trying to stop the idiot smash and grab crack heads.

Not that your idea won't work, most garage doors have a manual lock on them already. When I go on vacation, I push this over, and put a bolt through it so it can't be moved back.

My doors don't have any lock hardware on them, don't know why, never have as long as we've been here (18 years).
There is no external handle or lock mechanism.

My concern with security was not with the known vulnerabilities of Z-Wave or ZigBee, but someone physically
forcing the door. There are a couple easy work-arounds to GDOs which I won't list here. There is also an easy
and inexpensive fix for this condition which I have implemented, but I like the idea of a hard lock too.

What I was thinking about with the deadbolt was to be able to have that deadbolt set when the system is armed or partially
armed, then open when either of us approached the house and our keyfobs were recognized which usually happens at the
end of the driveway. Then if we need to open the garage door (which I refuse to connect to Iris because of security concerns)
it's a simple matter to push the button in whichever vehicle and open the door. I have a motion sensor in the garage that turns
on a light inside so it's never dark as you enter and turns the light out after 4 minutes which is more than enough time to get
out of the car and into the house.

I know some that have a jasco appliance smart plug and use the switched side to power the garage opener and constent power side for the GDO. Then they cut power to the garage opener as an extra security layer when on vacation.

Also make sure you put a small zip tie on your emergency pull cord so no one can defeat it with a clothes hanger.

FF to 1:45

Vettester and thegillion like this

9 hours ago, dusterp said:

I know some that have a jasco appliance smart plug and use the switched side to power the garage opener and constent power side for the GDO. Then they cut power to the garage opener as an extra security layer when on vacation.

Also make sure you put a small zip tie on your emergency pull cord so no one can defeat it with a clothes hanger.

FF to 1:45

so much for not showing how to break in.

I was pretty sure everyone knew how to prevent this, and I tried to NOT post anything that gave away how to do it, but I knew it was gonna happen.

It's on you tube and the bad guy already knows how. It's the innocent person that would never think this is possible. Knowledge is power, share it.

rdisom likes this

It's on you tube and the bad guy already knows how. It's the innocent person that would never think this is possible. Knowledge is power, share it.

I actually was not aware of the emergency release vulnerability, so will need to fix that. I also like the idea of using a smart plug for the garage in case someone can find a way of electronically opening the door when on vacation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I found a related problem in that I have several controllers for the garage door opener, and IRIS was not least of my problems. I finally realized that if I disconnected the power from the garage door opener, then the task of opening the garage door was significantly harder (not that it couldn't be done with a bar or other prying device, but at least the problem would be more difficult).

I was experiencing sporadic opening of my garage door at night, when no one was around (to the best of my knowledge); control devices were in there normal storage compartments, or in the cars in the garage, etc. I was concerned that someone was wandering through my neighborhood with a hacking device and wanted a second line of defense. My solution was to install a switched outlet where the garage door was normally plugged in. Yes, it is necessary to turn on the power before I try to open the garage door with any device, but turning on the power does not in-it-self opening the garage, and someone hacking either the Iris controls (or any of the other devices) is not in-it-self a guarantee that the garage door will open.

It provides a much greater since of security when I am away from home, not to mention when I turn over to go to sleep at night.

6 hours ago, TWilliams said:

It provides a much greater since of security when I am away from home, not to mention when I turn over to go to sleep at night.

Wouldn't work for me, my GDO has a battery backup.