Halo's are now available
3 3

28 posts in this topic

This is an exciting development on two levels. I like the functionality offered, and I'm pleased that Halo shows confidence in the IRIS system by emphasizing IRIS connectivity in its materials. ( I will note that Halo's corporate offices are located only 45 minutes from Lowes' corporate offices, so there may be some home-cookin' going on.)

On to the product itself. The Lowes product page has links to Operation and Quick-Start Guides applicable to both Halo and Halo+ units. A couple of observations after reviewing them:

1) The unit automatically ceases working after 10 years (and commences beeping every 45 seconds!). It has a rather extensive "decommissioning" procedure.

2) The guides are somewhat vague on how the Halo+ weather alert feature functions. A chart in both guides states that when:"Halo+ has received a weather radio alert the user has subscribed to", a blue light will flash, and there will be an audible "NOAA Alarm Sound [tune in to radio]." The chart instructs you to then "Check the severity of the alert and take appropriate action." The "tune in to radio" comment seems to indicate that the device itself does not give you the substance of the alert. Yet later in the operating guide, it states:

"Weather Radio station quality may vary around your home."
and
"1. Check the severity of the alert by listening closely to its description, affected areas, and lifesaving directives.
         2. Operate test/hush button or use app to silence."

So I can't tell if you get the substance/details of the threat, or just a warning alert to tune in to a weather radio. I'm guessing it's the former, but it isn't clear.

It also talks of tailoring the alerts to what you want to receive. I hope this is more than just being able to choose your county code, because there are some alerts I don't want going off and scaring my family in the middle of the night, like Amber Alerts or Lake Wind Advisories. The Guide directs you to: "visit support.halosmartlabs.com for more information about the weather radio alerts and functionality."  I did -- there's nothing there that isn't already in the guide.

19 hours ago, dusterp said:

Anyone find a zip code that you can actually get it?

none around me, that's 12 stores. They are available to ship so you can buy online.

Check zip 08302

Has anyone installed a Halo yet? If someone has the Halo+, can you fill me in on how the weather alert feature functions, i.e., does it just let you know audibly that a weather alert is available, or does it actually read aloud the text of the specific weather alert?

That whole WX alert thing on the Halo+ sounds gimmicky to me. There are other
ways to achieve the same functionality that overall might be a better choice as they
have greater flexibility and offer more information.

If you have an Amazon Echo, Tap , or Dot you can add one of the many weather
skills for free. a few have listed that you can set WSX alerts, but I can't say how well
they all work as I have only used one and there are over 600 WX skills listed, a large
segment of them are snow reports for ski resorts.

8 hours ago, pavalov said:

Has anyone installed a Halo yet? If someone has the Halo+, can you fill me in on how the weather alert feature functions, i.e., does it just let you know audibly that a weather alert is available, or does it actually read aloud the text of the specific weather alert?

As far as I can tell you will be notified in the app of a weather alert and there's an Icon on the device screen that when you tap it the Halo begins streaming your local weather station with the alert.  You select your state, county, weather radio frequency and then select which of the 75 alerts you want to be notified of.

pavalov and sparc like this

1 hour ago, scunny said:

As far as I can tell you will be notified in the app of a weather alert and there's an Icon on the device screen that when you tap it the Halo begins streaming your local weather station with the alert.  You select your state, county, weather radio frequency and then select which of the 75 alerts you want to be notified of.

Sounds like most of the functionality comes from the Iris app then. But you get
some sort of notification from the alarm by the light glowing is that how it works?

9 minutes ago, calvin386 said:

Does anyone know why the unit would stop working after 10 years.

It is recommended that all Smoke and CO detectors be replaced every ten years.  Some even stop working in seven years.  

sparc likes this

On 2/20/2017 at 11:34 AM, Terk said:

The material they use to detect smoke degrades over time and after 10 years it is supposedly not reliable any longer.

The module/component used to detect CO is recommended to last only up to 10 years.  The smoke section generally just needs cleaning, but does eventually get gunked up by dust and dirt...which results in the degradation of sensitivity of the photoelectric sensor.

39 minutes ago, Otto Mation said:

Here is an interesting article that compares all of the smart alarms.  Looks like Halo is a good choice.

http://homealarmreport.com/halo-smoke-alarm-vs-nest-protect-vs-other-options/

" Phil Smith, CMO of Halo, claims that their dual smoke alarm was able to beat Nest Protect by a minute and a half during a UL smoke test. He claims this is in part thanks to ionization, but also because the alarm can read temperature and humidity. When Halo is monitoring, it is using data from all sensors. "

I wasn't aware that Halo has temp and humidity sensors. I wonder if IRIS will be able to report that data with the rule "Monitor Humidity" found in the Climate Rules?

39 minutes ago, pavalov said:

I wasn't aware that Halo has temp and humidity sensors. I wonder if IRIS will be able to report that data with the rule "Monitor Humidity" found in the Climate Rules?

It does.  There is currently a decimal error on the barometric pressure reading that will soon be fixed.  You get temperature, humidity and barometric pressure readings.

Screenshot_2017-02-20-09-41-02 (Mobile).png

Screenshot_2017-02-23-12-28-04 (Mobile).png

Screenshot_2017-02-23-12-28-50 (Mobile).png

pavalov likes this

That is a real plus for the Halo on IRIS systems, and is an encouraging development. I have hopes that IRIS will eventually support multi-sensors that include humidity in their data reporting.

What has been your experience with the weather alert reporting feature? Are you satisfied with the extent of its ability to customize the reports (i.e., filter out reports you don't need to hear about at 2am)?

sparc likes this

1 hour ago, pavalov said:

That is a real plus for the Halo on IRIS systems, and is an encouraging development. I have hopes that IRIS will eventually support multi-sensors that include humidity in their data reporting.

What has been your experience with the weather alert reporting feature? Are you satisfied with the extent of its ability to customize the reports (i.e., filter out reports you don't need to hear about at 2am)?

Since they have only been available for a few days, I have not yet had an alert.  I have alerts enabled that would be relevant to my area set for warnings only.  I have not enabled watches because I assume that they would come to often.  That being said the number of alerts and options that you can receive is astounding.  I was going to post screen shots of all of them but there were too many.  77 by my count.

Screenshot_2017-02-23-13-11-45 (Mobile).png

sparc and pavalov like this

This is exciting!  can the light on the Halo be scheduled then like a regular light in Iris?   This would work great for a nightlight in my hallway..! 

15 minutes ago, Dan8785 said:

This is exciting!  can the light on the Halo be scheduled then like a regular light in Iris?   This would work great for a nightlight in my hallway..! 

Yes.