Leaking leak detector batteries
1 1

15 posts in this topic

A caution for anyone who has a Utilitech leak sensor and put in the "GP" batteries that came with it. I bought one about 18 months ago with the sensor down in my sump pit (above the float switch line, so I'd know if it failed). Recently the Portal was showing the battery at 40%, so I decided to change them. Opened it up and the batteries had leaked all over the place. It was all "wet" inside. They were the ones that came with the unit.

I cleaned it out and replaced them with name brand AAs. Had odd behavior, like the battery level still showing at 40%. I tried testing it and had no alarm or notification it was being tripped. I left it like that for a few days, but Iris did not show it as disconnected, yet the Portal still showed battery at 40%. I tried removing it from Iris and had to force it. I tried re-pairing with the 8 presses method and it wouldn't re-pair. I think the leaking batteries caused it to go south.

I ended up buying a new unit. (which, by the way, you need to push the button once after the batteries are put in to get it to pair. The instructions included are old, refer to the website and don't say that. The App step-by-step pairing for that item does say to.)

sparc likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, I think I will check mine as it has been in service about a year now.

Don't remember if I used the supplied batteries or put fresh Duracell batteries
in when I first set it up but I know I have not changed them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've bought more than my share of GP batteries, but I've never seen another brand so prone to leakage. You can't leave a GP alone for long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I installed mine with Duracell batteries, don't trust other brands for this exact issue, leakage.  I do know from history that vinegar makes a great cleaner for the potassium carbonate as it cleans the potassium carbonate (excuse me) and cleans the surface (q-tip on springs). Sorry guess I should have been more specific.

sparc likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, accessdenied79 said:

I installed mine with Duracell batteries, don't trust other brands for this exact issue, leakage.  I do know from history that vinegar makes a great cleaner for the white battery crap as it neutralizes the acid and cleans the surface.

That "white battery crap" is not acid, it is potassium carbonate.  It is destructive to battery contacts and electronic circuit boards as believed.

Vinegar IS acid, and is also destructive to battery contacts and electronic circuit boards.

Vinegar (acid) can be used to flush away the potassium carbonate, but get the vinegar off there as soon as possible.

 

sparc likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, accessdenied79 said:

I installed mine with Duracell batteries, don't trust other brands for this exact issue, leakage. ...

For the last 4 or 5 years I am having a 75% leakage rate from Duracell brand alkaline batteries.  At first I was not even paying attention.  Then it dawned on me that I have lost thousands of dollars of products.  Now, I am mailing the products with batteries to Duracell, and sometimes get the product replaced. You have to focus on "Unhappy with the battery" as they explicitly do not cover damage from leakage, but sometimes choose to be nice and replace products.  When possible I have changed to using Tenergy brand centura Ni-MH "LOW SELF-DISCHARGE" style.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EyeRuss said:

For the last 4 or 5 years I am having a 75% leakage rate from Duracell brand alkaline batteries.  At first I was not even paying attention.  Then it dawned on me that I have lost thousands of dollars of products.  Now, I am mailing the products with batteries to Duracell, and sometimes get the product replaced. You have to focus on "Unhappy with the battery" as they explicitly do not cover damage from leakage, but sometimes choose to be nice and replace products.  When possible I have changed to using Tenergy brand centura Ni-MH "LOW SELF-DISCHARGE" style.

Sorry, I edited my post above to clarify.  Also are you keeping batteries in the fridge?  My wife was making that mistake on some batteries and they had 100% chance of leaking from everyone that was in the fridge, no matter the brand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't use any of the generics that come with the devices for this very reason. I've also noticed even when you get "brand name" batteries with a device generally there is a weight difference between those prepackaged with t a device, and the once you buy in retail store. These lighter weight batteries never last as long. I've had tons of Duracells leak, so I don't use them at all anymore. I only use Energizer's at this point, knock on wood, those have been pretty good for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2017 at 6:25 PM, EyeRuss said:

Interesting that the guarantee is limited to AA/AAA and hearing aids (and you have to keep the package to prove that it had the guarantee printed on it).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2017 at 2:41 PM, pavalov said:

Interesting that the guarantee is limited to AA/AAA and hearing aids (and you have to keep the package to prove that it had the guarantee printed on it).

Hmmmm. It is interesting that you mention the package.  I ordered some of these batteries from Amazon.  They came in a package WITHOUT the guarantee printed on the package.  So Before seeing this message I called EverReady.  They made it perfectly clear that they sell a battery that looks exactly like the guaranteed style.  BUT they are sold at a lower price and not to the public.  They have unique factory codes stamped on them, and they are explicitly NOT guaranteed.  The ones I got were sold buy an unauthorized source and were not intended to be resold. (They were fulfilled by Amazon, but sold by a 3rd Party Seller)

So watch out!

sparc and pavalov like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2017 at 5:31 PM, accessdenied79 said:

Sorry, I edited my post above to clarify.  Also are you keeping batteries in the fridge?  My wife was making that mistake on some batteries and they had 100% chance of leaking from everyone that was in the fridge, no matter the brand.

I store them in the house, not refrigerated.  However, I do use them outside in some cases.  It gets below zero degrees F here from time to time.  Most are used at room temperature.  There is no difference as to which leak.  If anything, the ones outdoors leak less.  I do live at 7000 FT elevation.  I am thinking if that is a factor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
1 1