Kwikset 910 z-wave constant disconnect
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I have the Kwikset 910 z-wave and it seems that either once every week or two weeks, it gets disconnected from the hub. But as soon as I open the lock manually from the inside or using the code, it reconnects. I don't know if the lock has a sleep mode to conserve power. This started a few months ago. Has anyone gone thru the same situation?

YES.. 100X YES... I had the same exact problem. The problem is the cheap Z-wave radio chip in the 910/911/908/912 locks. I had the same problem for several months and it was driving nuts the same as you. My solution was at first to buy a GE (not Iris) smartplug GE_12719 and pair it with Iris, and then put it 1/4 away from the lock towards the Iris hub. Problem went away after a Z-Wave mesh rebuild. After a while i decided to swap out the smartplug for the GE Toggle hardwire switch for my outside front door lights. Problem never came back. I have 6 of those GE toggle switches next to the 6 exterior doors and the 6 kwikset 912 locks, and they are flawless.

I originally tried the Iris Z-wave (gen 1) and it didnt fix my problem. I also tried the Iris Smart Plug (GEN 2) and it didnt fix my problem either. The reason the GE devices work and the Iris devices do not work as repeaters is because the GE support secure z-wave messaging, which your kwikset lock requires. The cheaper Iris devices dont support it, so the encrypted packets from your lock to the hub dont get relayed properly with Iris brand repeaters, but the GE brand works flawlessly.

I had a similar problem and my 910 lock is actually ~3 away from my hub, and 1.5 half away from a GE wall switch. My problem so far seemed to being another device in my Zwave network with a low battery. Eventually my entire Zwave network went down, and I ended up figuring it out. My lock has been stable since i replaced all the batteries in the devices.

Interestingly enough, the KwikSet 910 locks I have installed have pretty much worked flawless since day one.  The only issue I had was quite some time back trying to get the contacts PIN code to download successfully.  It took several tries but eventually they all showed up. 

I've had the locks in place for months - probably the better part of a year and have had zero issues.  Ironically the only real dropouts I have had to deal with have been the GE outlets but (knock on wood) they too seem stable now.

If history is any lesson - since I've just bragged on the system, I have just jinxed the damn thing - starting in the next few hours the system is going to start crapping out.... 

mikeyc likes this