Lowes Dumping IRIS for Google Home?
2 2

18 posts in this topic

A sales associate at Lowes in Fort Myers today said that they were not stocking any new IRIS devices because Lowes was dumping IRIS and moving to Google Home. Does that even make sense and has anyone else heard anything like this?

Doesn't really make sense, since they are not the same thing.  Maybe dumping the Amazon devices?  I know the link on Lowes Iris website for an Amazon Echo now takes you to Amazon website instead of Lowes website.

This isn't true.  Lowe's would have to rebuild their back end for this to work. They also just released a FW update for the 4g modems.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

A sales associate at Lowes in Fort Myers today said that they were not stocking any new IRIS devices because Lowes was dumping IRIS and moving to Google Home. Does that even make sense and has anyone else heard anything like this?

Sales associates know nothing.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

thegillion likes this

I think it is more likely that Iris is working on interfacing with Google Home as they do
with Amazon Alexa so they can tap into that user base as well as what they have now.

Sales Associates are guessing, I had one tell me that Iris was being phased out for Apple HomeKit because Apple had a bigger display.
I'm sure there will be some changes made as Iris is a small player in Home Automation.
Much of the Iris line is available on Amazon, as is Smart Things.

20 minutes ago, Thepurplewing said:

......as Iris is a small player in Home Automation.

That's their own fault... They have a way to distribute their product in a nationwide chain of stores, as well on a website that is used by millions of people. They had an app that had good reviews on the app store until it got bombarded by bad reviews after their bungled V2 launch. Then failing to to listen to the user base and what they wanted. Even now, it's clear no one in the stores has any idea about the Iris products, and the displays look like garbage in many stores. Either take the product serious, or they will continue to be the small fish in the big pond.

I will give them credit they are finally starting to listen, but after all this time I'm being cautiously optimistic.

As for Google home, well Google has a long history of just dropping products and services randomly without notice, if they don't go how they want. So I'd be hesitant to put any real money in any Google product that relies on a Google service. I like their hardware, We have 5 Nexus tablets in my house, I've had nothing but Nexus phones for quite a while. However I really don't have much interest in Google home. Just like I didn't have much interest in Alexa, or any of the Amazon stuff. Just my opinion though.

sparc and Thepurplewing like this

When I returned all my V1 devices and dumped Iris in the ditch, I had a long talk with the manager in the store a few weeks later. He said no one in store management has any idea what path Iris will take. He called it the red headed step child in the store.
It could be a wonderful system but it is underfunded, understaffed, and undersold. There is no advertising outside of the stores except for a few reviews. Those reviews for V2 aren't very good at this point.
I'm using Smart Things but I'm not 100% sold on it. I'm using it for HA but my alarm is still a very old modified Nutone alarm that works. I just got tired of Iris failing or being wonky at 3 am.

Jewjenk likes this

I've noticed no matter what Lowe's store I visit, the IRIS display is poorly stocked.  The price wouldn't be so hard to swallow if the system worked consistently.  However, considering how often my thermostat disconnects (and cannot reconnect without a reset), and that my iPhone app just spins, IRIS is a waste of $$$$.

Thepurplewing likes this

Been dumped my IRIS due to false alarms, reconnecting and disconnecting and numerous promises to fix things, this has gone on too long, how much longer must the consumer attempt to fix an ALPHA product when they rely on it to automate and protect their property.

EyeRuss likes this

dcaa966d2f380b46591c0686f2b3a588.jpg

It is hard to comprehend that this alarm system that has been frankensteined performs better than Iris.

I really wanted Iris to work but over a year out and it's still the same issues. SmartThings is not perfect and it's a taller learning curve but it is a stop gap measure until someone comes along with a better mousetrap.

EyeRuss likes this

On 3/2/2017 at 7:36 PM, Otto Mation said:

Sales associates know nothing.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

They know  nothing about Iris or anything in my Store and only getting worse. 

Thepurplewing likes this

I went to my local Lowes yesterday to pick up a tool chest and passed by the Iris display and they had no hardware, nothing on the display. They just had small display cards showing version 2 hubs. They had zero, nothing on the shelf on the. They didn't even had the hub's on display. Looks like the store isn't doing anything within this section. It is hard to believe they have zero hardware. I can tell you I haven't purchase anything for the Iris alarm when they drop V1. I told my wife I am not sure how long I will keep this system. I hate to start over with another system and losing my investment in the system I have now.

Needless to say I ended up going to Home Depot picking up a tool chest from them.

It's at my store too. I'm one of maybe 3 associates in the store that know about iris

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

You have 3 that know about Iris? The store I bought all the Iris stuff from had ZERO employees who understood Iris.

Example:
I was buying about a dozen GE Smart switches in Lowe's and the "electrical" person rolled up on me and said "Those are speciality switches, they won't work without a special controller", I explained I had Iris and he said Iris doesn't use GE, it has all its own devices. I had to show the poor guy that he was wrong.
sparc likes this

6 hours ago, Thevolget said:

It's at my store too. I'm one of maybe 3 associates in the store that know about iris

What is at your store; the lack of general knowledge about Iris (only 3 people know what they're talking
about) or the knowledge that Iris is being dumped (only three people know Iris is on its way out).

Sorry, typed up and forgot to read over before posting.

There is a maybe 3 people in my store that know what they're talking about with iris (me being one). The other people who know about it, only know a very limited amount (which devices are compatible), my knowledge is from first hand use.

sparc likes this