Reverb -- the app that turns your phone into an Alexa Tap

8 posts in this topic

Last September, I recommended the Roger app to give you voice control of your IRIS system through your phone, like an Alexa device.  Roger has since quit supporting Alexa, but I have found a better app with the same feature. It is called Reverb, and it is put out by the Rain Consultancy, a group that develops Alexa skill functionality for other companies.

It has been much more dependable than Roger, responds quickly, and uses Alexa's voice.  A number of folks on this site have found that Alexa saves them from having to scroll through their app to activate a device, thereby increasing the ease and functionality of their smart home systems.  What Reverb does is increase that functionality even further by giving you voice control with the device you are most likely to have right at hand -- your phone.  I'm surprised IRIS hasn't created a native function that does the same -- V1 had something like it.

Available in iOS and Android.

sparc and Terminal like this

Thanks works great. Real easy to set up. Hope they bring out a widget so you can trigger it in the pull down window on the iPhone for quick access, like Roger had.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pavalov likes this

I loaded it on my Android phone and its working just fine. I am surprised that Amazon
never brought out their own app. I guess their aim was to push hardware sales.

pavalov likes this

Thanks for the tip!  Set it up for my Android and the wife's iPhone.  Except for having to adjust a few names of the devices, it is working great.  Great way to test out Alexa before purchasing an Amazon Tap or Echo.

pavalov likes this

Just got a notice of an update to the amazon app and it says it now allows you to use Alexa through it.  Surprised it took them this long.

sparc likes this

3 minutes ago, Terk said:

And it is strange that it is the Amazon Shopping app and not the Alexa app that has this capability.

Probably because they are trying to push you to shopping using Alexa.

Once you get used to asking Alexa for everything they've got you hooked.