DO GEN 2 CAMERAS WORK BETTER THAN GEN 1?

7 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me if the Gen 2 camera sets up easier and operates better on the new hub (relative term) than the gen 1 indoor camera?  The reason that I ask is that I have always struggled getting the camera set up correctly and always have to call Lowes which is becoming tiresome.  My latest situation is that I attempted to get the Gen 1 connected to a "guest wifi" signal which is supposed to be more secure.  Never did work and I could never get it re-connected to wifi even the regular channel it was on before. So I just left it connected to cable.  However, it even stopped recording clips.  I finally called Lowes yesterday and we got things back.  I would VERY much like to get another camera installed outdoors (actually at my covered front porch) so the hard cable connection will not work.  I am reluctant to spend the money for another camera until I become comfortable that the system will work reliably.  So to summarize:

1.  Will the version 2 camera pair more easily than the version 1?

2. Does the version 2 camera have the still picture display problem (no picture or very old picture).

3. Will the version 2 camera work on a "guest wifi" signal from my router?

Thanks for your help in advance.

This should help you.

gen2 cameras work great and look better in the dark with IR then gen1 (outdoor) 

gen 2 work better at 15 feet or less gen 1 is better at 15 or more. 

The back yard is a Gen2 

The carport is a gen1 outdoor.

preview.jpg

8bf47ec7-0e1b-4832-912c-7536ca6c2cec.jpg

ralph7up likes this

3 hours ago, ralph7up said:

Can anyone tell me if the Gen 2 camera sets up easier and operates better on the new hub (relative term) than the gen 1 indoor camera?  The reason that I ask is that I have always struggled getting the camera set up correctly and always have to call Lowes which is becoming tiresome.  My latest situation is that I attempted to get the Gen 1 connected to a "guest wifi" signal which is supposed to be more secure.  Never did work and I could never get it re-connected to wifi even the regular channel it was on before. So I just left it connected to cable.  However, it even stopped recording clips.  I finally called Lowes yesterday and we got things back.  I would VERY much like to get another camera installed outdoors (actually at my covered front porch) so the hard cable connection will not work.  I am reluctant to spend the money for another camera until I become comfortable that the system will work reliably.  So to summarize:

1.  Will the version 2 camera pair more easily than the version 1?

2. Does the version 2 camera have the still picture display problem (no picture or very old picture).

Thanks for your help in advance.

In my opinion the image quality and field of few on new indoor / outdoor camera is much better than the V1 cameras.  So much so that I upgraded all of my V1 cameras to the new Indoor / Outdoor cameras late last year.

1.  Will the version 2 camera pair more easily than the version 1?  -  I have never had an issue with pairing on either version so I can't say that one is better than the other.  

2. Does the version 2 camera have the still picture display problem (no picture or very old picture).  -  This is/was an application issue so it wouldn't matter which version of camera you used.  I just looked at the still images through my Iris app and they appear to be close to realtime.  However, I stopped using the in app camera functionality months ago so I'm not sure if this is still occurring or not.  I use Blue Iris to manage all of my camera functionality and can highly recommend it as a 3rd party app.

3. Will the version 2 camera work on a "guest wifi" signal from my router?  Running your cameras on a separate guest network will not work.  The camera and hub need to be on the same network.  "Guest mode" isolates your guests onto a separate Wi-Fi network that typically only has internet access.  

ralph7up likes this

21 hours ago, ralph7up said:

The whole point of a "guest wifi" network is to isolate the guests from your regular network. It usually prevents any device on the guest network from talking to any hard wired device or devices on your normal wifi network. In fact, it will often even isolate one guest from another. This isolation is what makes it "more secure". There may be a way to disable these features depending on your router, but then it would really be no difference between your guest network and normal network (except maybe they use different passwords).

In short, the "guest wifi" network is doing exactly what it is supposed to do by not allowing your camera (on the guest network) to communicate with your hub (on your regular network).

ralph7up likes this

18 hours ago, Vettester said:

In my opinion the image quality and field of few on new indoor / outdoor camera is much better than the V1 cameras.  So much so that I upgraded all of my V1 cameras to the new Indoor / Outdoor cameras late last year.

1.  Will the version 2 camera pair more easily than the version 1?  -  I have never had an issue with pairing on either version so I can't say that one is better than the other.  

2. Does the version 2 camera have the still picture display problem (no picture or very old picture).  -  This is/was an application issue so it wouldn't matter which version of camera you used.  I just looked at the still images through my Iris app and they appear to be close to realtime.  However, I stopped using the in app camera functionality months ago so I'm not sure if this is still occurring or not.  I use Blue Iris to manage all of my camera functionality and can highly recommend it as a 3rd party app.

3. Will the version 2 camera work on a "guest wifi" signal from my router?  Running your cameras on a separate guest network will not work.  The camera and hub need to be on the same network.  "Guest mode" isolates your guests onto a separate Wi-Fi network that typically only has internet access.  

Thanks Vett!  Helpful as always!  I will check into "Blue Iris" but do you know if it an apple app?  I had guessed that the "guest wifi" would not work for the reason that you mentioned.  Gone back to a wifi channel on same network and system now working.

Thanks to Gillian as well!

Vett,

If I decide to go "Blue Iris" it looks like I will need to purchase and download the PC software for my Windows 7 system as well as one of the 3 Apps for my iPhone.  Is that correct?  Are you using the paid versions or the "free versions"?  Also, does my PC need to be "on" all the time?  Finally, can the camera be connected configured to IRIS and Blue Iris at same time?

Thanks

Vett,
If I decide to go "Blue Iris" it looks like I will need to purchase and download the PC software for my Windows 7 system as well as one of the 3 Apps for my iPhone.  Is that correct?  Are you using the paid versions or the "free versions"?  Also, does my PC need to be "on" all the time?  Finally, can the camera be connected configured to IRIS and Blue Iris at same time?
Thanks

I am using the paid version and have a dedicated computer that runs Blue Iris and Plex at the same time. If you buy the software I would highly recommend you get the accompanying app that is available for iOS or Android. The app is another $10, but its well worth the money.

Blue Iris runs about $60 for a single PC license and is typically installed on a computer that will be on all the time. Ideally you should install this on a dedicated PC that has sufficient hard drive space for the length of time that you want to store your video clips.

The application is highly customizable and you can set up options like motion detection, zones, profiles, geofencing, I/O option, etc to fit your individual needs. There are some minimum PC hardware requirements so make sure you check your computer before purchasing the software.

You can get more info on the Blue Iris application and hardware requirements at ipcamtalk.com.

You can also connect your cameras to use multiple applications at same time. Even though I'm using Blue Iris I can still see my cameras through the Iris app.