V1 Keypad Experience
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Have most users found the V1 keypads dependable? I have three, which I use for their "beep" function when a door is opened. I do not find them dependable when trying to arm/disarm the system.  We've had several experiences where the alarm is simply not able to be turned off by the keypad. The mobile app is the only thing that will do so. Is this uncommon among users? Any suggestions for making them more dependable?  

There is a post on the official IRIS blog about trouble with a V1 keypad that is identical to my own:

https://community.irisbylowes.com/t5/Solutions-Projects-How-To-and/Problems-with-V1-keypad/m-p/789#U789

I have one V1 and three V2 keypads and to be honest I can't remember the last time I used any of them to enable or disable the alarm.  We typically just rely on rules and/or scenes.  If we have to manually arm or disarm the system we use a permanently wall mounted iPad or our mobile devices.

pavalov likes this

1 hour ago, Vettester said:

I have one V1 and three V2 keypads and to be honest I can't remember the last time I used any of them to enable or disable the alarm.  We typically just rely on rules and/or scenes.  If we have to manually arm or disarm the system we use a permanently wall mounted iPad or our mobile devices.

Which is funny if you think about what they are . . . keypads. I prefer the V1's because they have a louder door beep than the V2 keypads, even when turned up. But I can count on one had the number of times I've actually used either version as keypads per se.

I have two, one which I bought with my V1 hub and which I recently acquired. I bought the second mainly for the loud sounder to place in the back of the house which even though it is not that big (2200sf) you can't hear the V2 hub anywhere but in the room where it resides near the center of the L shaped rancher. Neither end of the house is no more than 50 feet away but can't hear it. The first V1 KP is near the entrance door at one end. It's loud and you can hear it at the other end of the house but its faint. So we bought the second and placed it at the other end of the house near the sleeping area. Don't use either to arm/disarm much but when we have used the first one by the entrance door it has worked fine. At that location it is only about 40 feet from the hub.

Looks like posting on the official Iris blog is not doing anyone much good since its been 2 months and no response to the initial post.

Have you called CS to see if they can help with something more than a remove and re-pair.

Were there any firmware updates for V1 keypads? I don't know, both of mine show the same model number and driver version 1.1, but no firmware version is listed.

pavalov likes this

We have two V1 keypads, one mounted by both doors. We don't use them very often, but every time we go to use them they work. It does take a second.  When I press Off, sometimes it's a delayed before the alarm actually disarms, just like the chime is delayed sometimes, but it does disarm.

pavalov likes this

We have a V1 keypad at each exterior door (2 doors). I rarely use them to arm the system when leaving because you have to close the door, arm the system, then open the door to leave in order to keep that door from being excluded from the alarm. We mostly rely on presence rules, keyfob buttons, and the app to arm except setting to partial at night. We either manually set the alarm to partial from the front door keypad (never had an issue with this) or from a bed-side smart button which runs the "goodnight scene". However, if we are later than 12am, the goodnight scene runs automatically to lock up everything and set the alarm in case we forget to set the alarm before going to bed (this also serves as a good reminder that we have been up too long and should be in bed).

As far as disarming, every morning we disarm from the front door keypad BEFORE opening the door and we never have any issue with this.
On occasion we do forget to disarm before opening the front door and are able to quickly disarm from the keypad with no issue.
On two occasions, however, I have had someone who was unable to disarm from the keypad after entering via the front door and triggered the alarm. During one of those instances, there was a big update that day and lots of strange behavior being reported. The other time was my mother-in-law and I assumed she was entering her code incorrectly as she rarely has to use it.

For the most part our V1 keypads have been trouble free. The only thing that gets confusing sometimes is the delay between pressing a button and the confirmation beep you get. I try to just ignore the beeps but it does mess with your head a little while trying to enter your code.

pavalov and sparc like this

We have 3 and generally don't have problems with them.  We use one in the kitchen to arm and disarm the system a couple of times a day.  The only times we may have problems is if we set off a smoke detector or don't disarm the alarm before it's triggered.  If either happens, every once in a while it seems to ignore input to turn off the alarm.  Connectivity-wise they have been solid.  -Jim C

pavalov likes this

10 hours ago, JimC said:

The only times we may have problems is if we set off a smoke detector or don't disarm the alarm before it's triggered.  If either happens, every once in a while it seems to ignore input to turn off the alarm.  Connectivity-wise they have been solid.  -Jim C

That's when I've had the problem. When we've tried to use the key pad, it has been when an alarm has already been set off. Guess we just need to use the app instead when that happens.

I have one that has only given me trouble once. I unknowingly tried to disarm the system when it was upgrading. Other than that never an issue.

On 3/6/2017 at 10:46 AM, JimC said:

The only times we may have problems is if we set off a smoke detector or don't disarm the alarm before it's triggered.  If either happens, every once in a while it seems to ignore input to turn off the alarm.  Connectivity-wise they have been solid.

I have used this as well with the smoke detector. when your cooking and hands are a mess, using the phone is not practical. Besides it's already ringing with the notification of the alarm. I have keypad mounted adjacent to kitchen.

On 3/5/2017 at 10:23 PM, pavalov said:

Have most users found the V1 keypads dependable? I have three, which I use for their "beep" function when a door is opened. I do not find them dependable when trying to arm/disarm the system.  We've had several experiences where the alarm is simply not able to be turned off by the keypad. The mobile app is the only thing that will do so. Is this uncommon among users? Any suggestions for making them more dependable?  

There is a post on the official IRIS blog about trouble with a V1 keypad that is identical to my own:

https://community.irisbylowes.com/t5/Solutions-Projects-How-To-and/Problems-with-V1-keypad/m-p/789#U789

We have 3 version 1 keypads.  We use all of them to turn the alarm off and on.  We have no trouble using them on the V2 hub.  We have learned that when turning the alarm off, do not hit the keys at a rate faster than one key per second.

pavalov likes this

I too have key pads at the front and back doors, mainly for the chime.  When used to arm/disarm (infrequent) we have no issues.

MY big issue with these things is that the chimes are way out of sync.  The hub usually chimes immediately when a door is opened, but the two key pads are up to several seconds late.  Sometimes the keypad doesn't chime until I'm through the door and it's closed behind me.  

They still do the job (let us know when a door to the outside is opened), but the "chime cascade" (they never sound simultaneously) is grating to me and my OCD.

pavalov likes this

6 hours ago, joelh said:

"chime cascade"

What a perfect description. It's worst late at night when the dogs need to go out. With nothing else making noise, I can hear the "cascade" run from the hub to each of my 4 keypads (although the one V2's sound is so mousey it almost doesn't count).