My iris grade is...
1 1

35 posts in this topic

If you were to give Iris a grade right now would it be A,B,C,D or F and please only list one item that you based the grade on.

B

I have most everything I had on V1, plus.

Yes, I am missing stuff as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does not play well with others, so I would give a D.

I'd like to see more interoperation, compatibility, whatever you wish
to call it with other brand equipment like Aeon Labs, especially for
those areas where they have no comparable device to offer like
the Aeon Labs doorbell, energy monitors, or their Multi-Sensor 6.

loonytim likes this

Somewhere between a C and a B mainly due to the slow progression.  Compared to other systems it certainly seems like the folks at Iris are dragging their feet.

loonytim likes this

I'm at a C.  (Today anyways)  Like others commented.  The awesome potential is there (or was there in V1), but the roll-out and pace of improvements has been so poor it is embarrassing.  I haven't expanded my system since we were forced to upgrade to V2, so I am spending zero dollars on Iris products (except the mandatory $10 monthly fee for it to function) whereas I have spent another small fortune outfitting my home with Smart Things and compatible gadgets.  The nice thing is that my system has seemed much more stable now a days, so that does make me happy-ish. 

sparc likes this

I give it a C-

The problems that haven't been addressed that if fixed would make me give it an A are as follows:

1. Scenes that properly control locks.  Right now a scene will not properly lock more than 2 locks at a time.
  2. Lighting duration rules that work with multiple trigger and target devices.  It is impossible to keep a light on using two motion sensors at the same time.
  3. Care rule time options vs current minimum of 30 minutes.  We need more choices that are less than 30 minutes.
  4. Battery percentages for less than 70% vs current 30%.
  5. Echo advanced skills.  Based on the fact that Lowe's doesn't sell Echo any longer, I don't hold much hope for getting advanced skills and I invested heavily in Echos based on the fact that this was coming at one time.
  6. Energy Monitoring is missing.

With the exception of Echo advanced skills every issue above is parity related.  So my number one issue with v2 is lack of parity.

loonytim, sparc and scunny like this

Right now a C+,

1. I'd like to see parity with Local processing (hopefully coming soon)

2. I'd like to see my locks recover quickly after using the app to control them, sometimes it works as expected but often not and while it unlocked or locked, the app will not reflect the change and the control options will be greyed out (this may be something I can resolve by un-pairing the locks and repairing them although it took me the better part of 2 hours to get one lock paired and I had to power up my hub next to the lock with it plugged into a wireless bridge so I'm a little leery to attempt that again).

3. I'd love to see Geo fencing that works well and allows for (all home, all away, one or more individuals home, one or more individuals away) rules and scenes with the ability to add users that only participate in Geo fencing with rule processing but does not allow them access to anything else in the app like cameras for people to stop by to check on the house while you are on vacation or other use cases like baby sitters or dog walkers

4. The rule builder functionality they talked about introducing over a year ago in that briefing on v2 would be really nice so we aren't so limited to the rules Lowe's have thought up would be nice

39 minutes ago, Otto Mation said:

Battery percentages for less than 70% vs current 30%.

I do appreciate the more active participation they have started to show in the community lately and the new development which has been or has been promised lately.  Before that I would have given them a D- since they had been so quiet with only a handful of new device offerings in the last year.

sparc and Mustang like this

19 hours ago, scunny said:

If you were to give Iris a grade right now would it be A,B,C,D or F and please only list one item that you based the grade on.

If I have to pick one...........

I'll give it a C, leaning on the C- side, due to lack of V1 parity.

sparc likes this

D- The way they crowed about V2 being better and forced us into it. So, Parity- it should have started out equal or better and be well past that by now.

sparc likes this

I'd give it a C-.   Lack of Parity is the major issue.   Really no excuse at this point.  V2 has been out for how long now?   Squeaking close to two years now?   

I give my system a " A"

A lot of C's and D's,  tough crowd.

It does everything I can could imagine and I rarely have any issues.  

A few new features or app UI improvements would be nice but I don't think it's accurate to say the system is a D.   The Echo (Alexa) integration for turning on lights is life changing, the Osram multi-color bulb option is cool, ability to download video clips directly to your phones camera roll, ability to adjust thermostat schedule on app, free care card, and the more modern look of the app are all things I use daily that didn't exist in V1,  so to be hung up on not having power monitoring or local processing I think is a little short sighted when compared to the new features and UI improvements over V1.     I'm sure a lot of readers on the forum are power users and want the highest level of customization but I think the "average consumer"  just wants to turn lights on/off with basic rules, control thermostat, etc.  as is with the ~ 10 people I've referred to IRIS.    My concern is in agreement with a post someone made a while back about posting POSITIVE reviews on Lowe's site.   If you're rating the system a C or D,   are you giving it a 1 or 2 star review on Lowe's.com and the app store?    

I think if you give it a negative review in 2017 based on missing a feature you had in 2014 or how the transition was isn't an accurate viewpoint for a new consumer reading the reviews online considering purchasing IRIS today.   Just saying,  negative reviews may scare customers away and one certainly could speculate that the more subscriber growth they get,  you'd hope would allow for them to grow their development resources.

Last rant,   the competitor systems that have the greener grass,   does a single one call your telephone if your alarm is triggered?   (not just a push notification).    I could be wrong, but to my knowledge Wink only sends push notifications?    If my security alarm goes off at 3 AM while I'm out of town,   I most likely wouldn't awaken by a push notification however when the phone rings (especially with a unique ring tone set for IRIS)  I most certainly would wake up to investigate.

Maybe part of that poor grade is based on unfulfilled promises as well as lost functionality.

Or maybe its based partly on repeated lost device connectivity since last June which never occurred with V1.

Maybe it about paying $10/m for something that is less than was free with V1.

The ratings and reviews on Google Play were not that great last time I looked.

If Iris is doing so well why are people building their own apps and web portals to fill in the gaps that exist in the current offering from Iris.

loonytim likes this

5 hours ago, jeff909 said:

I give my system a " A"

A lot of C's and D's,  tough crowd.

It does everything I can could imagine and I rarely have any issues.  

A few new features or app UI improvements would be nice but I don't think it's accurate to say the system is a D.   The Echo (Alexa) integration for turning on lights is life changing, the Osram multi-color bulb option is cool, ability to download video clips directly to your phones camera roll, ability to adjust thermostat schedule on app, free care card, and the more modern look of the app are all things I use daily that didn't exist in V1,  so to be hung up on not having power monitoring or local processing I think is a little short sighted when compared to the new features and UI improvements over V1.     I'm sure a lot of readers on the forum are power users and want the highest level of customization but I think the "average consumer"  just wants to turn lights on/off with basic rules, control thermostat, etc.  as is with the ~ 10 people I've referred to IRIS.    My concern is in agreement with a post someone made a while back about posting POSITIVE reviews on Lowe's site.   If you're rating the system a C or D,   are you giving it a 1 or 2 star review on Lowe's.com and the app store?    

I think if you give it a negative review in 2017 based on missing a feature you had in 2014 or how the transition was isn't an accurate viewpoint for a new consumer reading the reviews online considering purchasing IRIS today.   Just saying,  negative reviews may scare customers away and one certainly could speculate that the more subscriber growth they get,  you'd hope would allow for them to grow their development resources.

Last rant,   the competitor systems that have the greener grass,   does a single one call your telephone if your alarm is triggered?   (not just a push notification).    I could be wrong, but to my knowledge Wink only sends push notifications?    If my security alarm goes off at 3 AM while I'm out of town,   I most likely wouldn't awaken by a push notification however when the phone rings (especially with a unique ring tone set for IRIS)  I most certainly would wake up to investigate.

Thank you for reminding me to lower my play store rating of the app to 2 stars.

loonytim likes this

27 minutes ago, sparc said:

Maybe part of that poor grade is based on unfulfilled promises as well as lost functionality.

Or maybe its based partly on repeated lost device connectivity since last June which never occurred with V1.

Maybe it about paying $10/m for something that is less than was free with V1.

The ratings and reviews on Google Play were not that great last time I looked.

If Iris is doing so well why are people building their own apps and web portals to fill in the gaps that exist in the current offering from Iris.

Because they are confusing activity with accomplishment.

loonytim likes this

I'm going to be honest here.  The reason I started this thread is because I'm tired of the lingering issues we are having that have been reported to the team month after month after month such as the following.  These are all V1 parity issues except for Echo.

1. Scenes that properly control locks.  Right now a scene will not properly lock more than 2 locks at a time.  The problem has been going on for a very long time.
  2. Lighting duration rules that work with multiple trigger and target devices.  It is impossible to keep a light on using two motion sensors at the same time.
  3. Care rule time options vs current minimum of 30 minutes.  We need more choices that are less than 30 minutes.
  4. Battery percentages for less than 70% vs current 30%.
  5. Echo advanced skills.  Based on the fact that Lowe's no longer sells Echo, I don't hold much hope for getting advanced skills. I invested heavily in Echos based on the fact that this was coming at one time.  This is truly the most disappointing turn of events yet because Echo has been one of the few things that just worked properly upon initial release.
  6. Energy Monitoring is missing.
  7. Water softener flow rate monitoring with the ability to alert for excessive flow via email or push and associated shut off rules that were available with v1 is missing. 
loonytim, sparc and Vettester like this

Iris Generation 1 started out as a B+ and fell to B- as their development speed slowed down in order to release Gen 2.

Generation 2 started out as a D and has gotten better, so now it is roughly a C.  If they started releasing new products and improved apps/website, and provided better battery status monitoring, it could return to a B-....but they've had awhile to deliver that and haven't made it there yet.

blaine07 likes this