My iris grade is...
1 1

35 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, jeff909 said:

I give my system a " A"

A lot of C's and D's,  tough crowd.

It does everything I can could imagine and I rarely have any issues.  

as is with the ~ 10 people I've referred to IRIS.    

My concern is in agreement with a post someone made a while back about posting POSITIVE reviews on Lowe's site.   If you're rating the system a C or D,   are you giving it a 1 or 2 star review on Lowe's.com and the app store?    I think if you give it a negative review in 2017 based on missing a feature you had in 2014 or how the transition was isn't an accurate viewpoint for a new consumer reading the reviews online considering purchasing IRIS today.   Just saying,  negative reviews may scare customers away and one certainly could speculate that the more subscriber growth they get,  you'd hope would allow for them to grow their development resources.

The reviews are clear, most people just want the system to do what it did before. They need to go back to basics before worrying about all the new features. There are still several things V2 does not do that V1 did do. They keep adding in new features, some of which work, some of which just sort of work. The entire time all the reviews keep pointing to the fact that we want our systems to work the way they did before.

My positive review is no review at all, because I can't give it a review. I'd be scared to recommend the system to anyone at this point, because I'm not sure how much longer it will be around. It's disappearing from stores. Stores don't stock items anymore. However a positive review says they are doing things right. In my opinion, they haven't got it right yet.

So while you're right, my system mostly works the way Lowes / Iris thinks it should, it fails to do things the original product I purchased does. Do you know long we've been promised this or that has been coming. They just up and do things like decide garage door controllers don't need to be alarm devices anymore leaving our homes unprotected and don't warn anyone about the change.

It's so aggravating because they could be great... They could be best system out there, they just keep narrowly missing the mark. They just refuse to listen and don't I know why. They are making attempts, but the changes seem to be coming very slowly. This may just be because they attached to a huge company, and have to deal with overhead that brings.

loonytim likes this

While I can see some peoples issue with parity, the only things I can think of that I am missing are local processing for the alarm and grouping.  As long as I have internet, everything functions pretty much as V1 did, at least for me.  I have much more rule flexibility with rules, and can work around groups by using scenes.  Not overly concerned with the app, once I got used to the differences.  While not ideal colors and fonts, I have been able to re-create everything I was doing before on 2 completely different systems. We have the ability to add devices with phone now, which used to be a major chore.  I remember carrying an XP laptop around with my hub, powerline adapter and a spare cable just to add a device.

I know that i'm not the technical expert that some of you are, but it works for me. Alarm with keypads and a phone call when Wink doesn't have that.  Automation while Simplisafe has none.  Z-wave and Zigbee where you have to by a Harmony hub and Extender (for z-wave).  Way more automation devices than Wemo, Avi-on, iDevices, and iHome.

Yes, I would love to see compatibility with other devices such as Nest and Ring.  Maybe more affordable cameras, since I have 5 Iris cameras, ouch.  

All in all, it serves the purpose as a security system that alerts me if someone comes in or around my house. It automates or gives remote access to most of my lighting, ceiling fans and HVAC.

If Iris had offline processing, I would have given it an A.

ps: V2 smart buttons still suck.

11 hours ago, scunny said:

I'm going to be honest here.  The reason I started this thread is because I'm tired of the lingering issues we are having that have been reported to the team month after month after month such as the following.  These are all V1 parity issues except for Echo.

1. Scenes that properly control locks.  Right now a scene will not properly lock more than 2 locks at a time.  The problem has been going on for a very long time.
  2. Lighting duration rules that work with multiple trigger and target devices.  It is impossible to keep a light on using two motion sensors at the same time.
  3. Care rule time options vs current minimum of 30 minutes.  We need more choices that are less than 30 minutes.
  4. Battery percentages for less than 70% vs current 30%.
  5. Echo advanced skills.  Based on the fact that Lowe's no longer sells Echo, I don't hold much hope for getting advanced skills. I invested heavily in Echos based on the fact that this was coming at one time.  This is truly the most disappointing turn of events yet because Echo has been one of the few things that just worked properly upon initial release.
  6. Energy Monitoring is missing.
  7. Water softener flow rate monitoring with the ability to alert for excessive flow via email or push and associated shut off rules that were available with v1 is missing. 

Another one is the Hose timer.  My Hose timers have been set to manual and laying on a shelf in my shop since early October, but they faithfully go off every even day and run for the prescribed time of the schedule I shut down 5 months ago.  Also you still can't search for the hose controller in the history.

"ps: V2 smart buttons still suck."

I think that one is unanimous, but is anyone that can (or maybe will is closer to the truth) do anything about it listening?

3 hours ago, Terminal said:

My Hose timers have been set to manual and laying on a shelf in my shop since early October, but they faithfully go off every even day and run for the prescribed time of the schedule I shut down 5 months ago.

Terminal: I had a "ghost" schedule that kept running in my CT101 t-stat last year. It was deleted from my app, but kept firing. I called CS about it. The delete hadn't "taken", even though I could no longer see it. On the server side, they could still see the schedule. Once they deleted it on their end, the ghost schedule disapparated.

1 hour ago, sparc said:

"ps: V2 smart buttons still suck."

I think that one is unanimous, but is anyone that can (or maybe will is closer to the truth) do anything about it listening?

Yes the V2 buttons suck but they suck for one and only one reason the way the battery goes in and connects.

sparc likes this

2 hours ago, thegillion said:

Yes the V2 buttons suck but they suck for one and only one reason the way the battery goes in and connects.

That is a critical piece though, without a good connection to the battery its a POC.

2 hours ago, pavalov said:

Terminal: I had a "ghost" schedule that kept running in my CT101 t-stat last year. It was deleted from my app, but kept firing. I called CS about it. The delete hadn't "taken", even though I could no longer see it. On the server side, they could still see the schedule. Once they deleted it on their end, the ghost schedule disapparated.

These are the kind of hidden features that really sell the system. When you tell friends and prospective buyers stories like this they don't walk they RUN away to something else, and don't look back. What was it your Mom told you; "you only get one chance to make a good first impression, make it count". Yeah, Iris missed the boat on that one.

Have you guys gone to the Lowes Website and looked at the reviews of the Iris Hub?   There are 14 of them.  Both of my reviews (one before and one after the website "upgrade") are not there, as I am sure many of yours aren't either.    I'm not cool with that.

Dan8785 likes this

3 hours ago, loonytim said:

Have you guys gone to the Lowes Website and looked at the reviews of the Iris Hub?   There are 14 of them.  Both of my reviews (one before and one after the website "upgrade") are not there, as I am sure many of yours aren't either.    I'm not cool with that. 

I think I reviewed it as well and I don't see mine, but the reviews they left are less than stellar.  If I was doing research and reading reviews I would not buy it based on those.