Halo Installed and Issues
1 1

35 posts in this topic

I installed one Halo and one Halo+ last night. Several observations:

I've never had devices pair so quickly -- practically as soon as I hit the + button.

The devices cannot be linked to both the IRIS hub and to the Halo app. Halo says they have worked with IRIS to give most of the functionality of the Halo app in the IRIS app. One functionality that does not appear to have been replicated in IRIS is "One Touch Dialing" of local responders' numbers.

Alexa can turn on the light, but not the weather radio. The radio itself broadcasts pretty clearly for me, and automatically chose the strongest station in my area.

On one unit, I am occasionally experiencing the chirp that Otto mentioned.  When I called about it, the CSR said that it wasn't a low battery signal because the unit would also be vocalizing that the battery was low. He recommended removing the device from the IRIS system, then downloading and linking to the Halo system so that they could push firmware updates that would solve the chirp problem.  Sounds like a lot of trouble to me, so I'm going to wait to see if they go away as Otto reports they do for others.  Has anyone heard of a need to connect to the Halo app for firmware updates?

2 hours ago, thegillion said:

@pavalov my web portal shows the battery of Halos I would check it out there.

Good point! Upon checking, both show 100%. I'm not sure how long they've been at that level, but we've had no more chirping either.

thegillion likes this

Spoke too soon. It just chirped three times about 30 seconds apart. Battery shows 100%. Time to call IRIS.

43 minutes ago, pavalov said:

Spoke too soon. It just chirped three times about 30 seconds apart. Battery shows 100%. Time to call IRIS.

Just run a self test.  It will eventually stop.  Alternatively, you can remove them from Iris and set them up on the Halo app and they well get new firmware which is supposed to stop the chirps.  When you put them back on Iris afterwards they should work just fine.  The only issue that I have seen by doing this is that afterwards the test date of the device is not updated by Iris with the new firmware.  Iris is aware of this and it will be addressed.

10 minutes ago, Otto Mation said:

Alternatively, you can remove them from Iris and set them up on the Halo app and they well get new firmware which is supposed to stop the chirps.

That's what Halo told me, but when I followed up just now with IRIS CS to verify that that was necessary, I was told it wasn't, and that IRIS will push the firmware updates through itself! (I'm not aware of IRIS providing 3rd party FW updates for any of my other devices.)

In any event, I'll just run a few self tests and see if that solves the problem simply.

I bought 2 HaloPlus but so far only installed 1 of them. I'm not too impressed with it. The colored night light is kind of "cheesy" to me and really doesn't make a lot of sense to me..I'd rather have the night light be turned on by motion when I walk in room like Nest Protect rather than always just on for certain period of time. Also, the center button in Halo is loose & "floppy" when pushed and looks cheaply made to me. These are strictly my opinions. Not sure if I will keep them or not. The weather radio is a nice feature though. The jury is still deliberating for me.

2 hours ago, mojo2600 said:

I bought 2 HaloPlus but so far only installed 1 of them. I'm not too impressed with it. The colored night light is kind of "cheesy" to me and really doesn't make a lot of sense to me..I'd rather have the night light be turned on by motion when I walk in room like Nest Protect rather than always just on for certain period of time. Also, the center button in Halo is loose & "floppy" when pushed and looks cheaply made to me. These are strictly my opinions. Not sure if I will keep them or not. The weather radio is a nice feature though. The jury is still deliberating for me.

I agree with you on the "cheese." Integration with Iris of an all-in-one package of fast fire, slow fire, CO2 and humidity sensors, though -- that is unique.

Jury comes back with verdict on Halo for me:

After debating on whether to keep my Halo Plus's after only installing one of them, this past Sunday before Memorial Day finalized my decision:

I do not watch TV or weather...haven't done so in over 5 yrs. If someone tells me about the weather at grocery store or wherever, that's how I get my weather. LOL.

TV shows & movies are just a waste of time for me as well.

I installed one of 2 Halo Plus the other day and Sunday May 28 at about 5:00 PM my Halo Plus goes off with a tornado warning for my area. Hail and damaging winds etc. Local area was hit hard with downed trees, power lines, etc.

Electricity goes off at 5:15 PM Sunday and just came back on last night, Tuesday May 30.

Needless to say, I'm keeping my Halo Plus.

Installing my second Halo+ too. :)

I can live with the cheesiness of the multi-colored night light.

Thanks Halo+!

pavalov and thegillion like this

I use motion detection in Iris to trigger the night light. Obviously it's using a separate motion detection device to achieve this. It comes on for. A set time that I pick. Works well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk