Hub Firmware Download

5 posts in this topic

I'm wondering if there is a way to use a web interface or another non-intrusive method to download the firmware off of the hub.  This would make trying to see where the hub shortcomings are as well as allow for more development possibilities.  There's probably zero way to upload it back to the device due to checksum verifications and such, but would be awesome to be able to figure out the inner workings of the software the hub runs.  

As I just thought about it, I wonder if a hard reboot while using a PC as a wireless bridge (for testing), and having wireshark running would expose the server allowing for a download of the firmware/configuration files.

You can use my web portal to download a backup of the hub. It is just a Base 64 encoded binary blob file. I know all the servers IPs and DNS names but all data is running on SSL. I was able to get the log and system files off the hub but that has been patched 2 FW updates ago.

7 minutes ago, thegillion said:

You can use my web portal to download a backup of the hub. It is just a Base 64 encoded binary blob file. I know all the servers IPs and DNS names but all data is running on SSL. I was able to get the log and system files off the hub but that has been patched 2 FW updates ago.

Hmm...  That leaves the only method to see the hub software as direct connection via serial interface.  Looking over the datasheets and at the images, I'm going to make an assumption that the unpopulated header at J1 is the UART interface for the TI Processor (main processor), J6 is the Bluetooth controller UART interface, and J5 is the JTAG header for the Zigbee chipset,  The main processor seems to communicate with each of the modules via serial communications.  Interestingly enough, based off the datasheets, all of the devices with the exception of the BT-LE module support communications over USB.