We asked 86 burglars how they broke into homes

4 posts in this topic

Very interesting read (associated video interview was worth watching as well). So, the most effective deterrents are big aggressive dogs, a car in the driveway, radio/TV left on, visible cameras and lights (although that was not universal), trimmed landscaping, promptly emptied mailbox.

Less effective: Security service signs, drawn shades.

News to me: bedrooms were universally the first place checked for valuables -- consider keeping valuables elsewhere in the house.

Thanks for sharing.

sparc likes this

I am not surprised the BR is the first place they look. It yields the smallest, easiest pickings with value,
so highest dollar/pound return on their investment of time and risk.

Think about it, how much jewelry is laying about that is not protected in a safe or locked drawer even.
Where is your billfold when its not in your pocket and you are home.

After the BR I would guess the den or family room would be the next target since it most likely holds
some valuable portable stuff like electronics (games, TVs, audio equipment).

Next I would guess (I haven't read the article) the garage and the targets tools, sporting goods, and
maybe a car or two with the key left in the ignition, though that option is disappearing in todays' vehicles
which is good.

Did they mention what was the favorite point of entry? I would guess the garage or a window that can't
be easily seen from the street or neighboring home.

6 hours ago, sparc said:

Did they mention what was the favorite point of entry?

Bathroom window - usually in the back, and the one most often left unlocked.  As to other methods, a preference was stated for kicking in doors rather than breaking windows because the noise was considered less noticeable to others.

awraynor and sparc like this