IRIS Team: Important notice about Alarm Requirements
1 1

23 posts in this topic

Just received this:

Iris Customer,

Based on your current security settings we have determined that our work on Professional Monitoring is bringing new enhancements that may impact you in the near future.

To help reduce false alarms and improve the overall alarm experience, the Alarm Requirements setting, which determines the minimum number of devices to be triggered before setting off the alarm,  will soon only include motion-only devices upon our next release. In the past, this setting pertained to any device participating in the security system. Currently, if this number is set to two, then a contact and a motion sensor being triggered would set the alarm off. In the next release, if this number is set to two or more then it would require two or more motion sensors to trigger before alarming, and any single non-motion sensor, like a contact sensor, would set the alarm off.  

To view or make additional changes to your Alarm Requirement setting, follow these steps:

Tap the Alarm Card > Tap the More tab > Tap on Alarm Requirements and view this Setting is correct.

It's important to always download the most recent version of the Iris app available. Not only will downloading the latest version of the app ensure the highest quality user experience and give you access to new features, but it will prevent bugs or issues from occurring which can happen when using outdated app versions.
92966f182e219cf039bd612d7919e16d090402a3

The next version of the Iris app should be out later this week. Look for the new app tile that has our updated Iris logo on your phone to make sure you have the latest of the Iris app or download it once it is available.   
Thank you,

The Iris Team

I also got this 

Iris Customer,

Later this week Iris will be launching release 2.1 which will change the way your dashboard will appear in the Iris app. We strongly recommend downloading the latest version of the Iris app in the Google Play/iOS app stores to ensure the highest quality user experience and give you access to new features. This will also prevent bugs or issues from occurring which can happen when using outdated app versions.

Please note, we will also be conducting a hub firmware update starting March 30th. Please use your Iris system as you normally would during this time.

For information on the feature enhancements being released, read more here.

Once again, look for the new app tile (shown below) that has our updated Iris logo on your phone to make sure you have the latest version of the Iris app or download it once it is available.

I got the same email as pavalov, but not the message that thegillion posted.

So with Safety and Security being merged, are both these areas going to be
part of 'professional monitoring', and if so what does that mean for those who
do not wish to pay even more per month for a buggy system.

I like the new look of the app.  No more picture of your house in a circle.  

Iris_Mobile_Dashboard_History_Final-502x1024.png

Edit:  Looks like he left is garge door opened.  What is a garge door anyway? :)

What about us DIY that don't want to have anything to do with professional monitoring?

I prefer to know that only one sensor has been tripped.

Does this mean that we are about to have this new policy crammed down our throats for the benefit of IRIS  ????????????????

13 minutes ago, EyeRuss said:

What about us DIY that don't want to have anything to do with professional monitoring?

I prefer to know that only one sensor has been tripped.

Does this mean that we are about to have this new policy crammed down our throats for the benefit of IRIS  ????????????????

You can set up whatever push notifications that you want.  This is about having police respond to a break in.  

4 hours ago, pavalov said:

Just received this:

Iris Customer,

Based on your current security settings we have determined that our work on Professional Monitoring is bringing new enhancements that may impact you in the near future.

To help reduce false alarms and improve the overall alarm experience, the Alarm Requirements setting, which determines the minimum number of devices to be triggered before setting off the alarm,  will soon only include motion-only devices upon our next release. In the past, this setting pertained to any device participating in the security system. Currently, if this number is set to two, then a contact and a motion sensor being triggered would set the alarm off. In the next release, if this number is set to two or more then it would require two or more motion sensors to trigger before alarming, and any single non-motion sensor, like a contact sensor, would set the alarm off.  

To view or make additional changes to your Alarm Requirement setting, follow these steps:

Tap the Alarm Card > Tap the More tab > Tap on Alarm Requirements and view this Setting is correct.

It's important to always download the most recent version of the Iris app available. Not only will downloading the latest version of the app ensure the highest quality user experience and give you access to new features, but it will prevent bugs or issues from occurring which can happen when using outdated app versions.
92966f182e219cf039bd612d7919e16d090402a3

The next version of the Iris app should be out later this week. Look for the new app tile that has our updated Iris logo on your phone to make sure you have the latest of the Iris app or download it once it is available.   

Thank you,

The Iris Team

The email i received was worded a bit different.

Iris Customer,

Our work on Professional Monitoring is bringing new enhancements that may impact you in the near future.

Safety & Security cards will merge into one seamless alarm experience in the next version of the Iris app. As a result, for the customers that had different people in their “Safety” and “Security” notification lists, the Security Notification List will soon take precedence. Additionally, the account owner will be the first person to be notified in the event of an alarm. 

To prepare for this update, make sure you are running the latest app version and review your Alarm Notification List. 

It's important to always download the most recent version of the Iris app available. Not only will downloading the latest version of the app ensure the highest quality user experience and give you access to new features, but it will prevent bugs or issues from occurring which can happen when using outdated app versions.

Although we strongly encourage you to download the latest version of the app before editing your Notification List, any changes made to your Safety Notification List in an older version will change in your Alarm Notification List once you download the newer version of the app. 

The next version of the Iris app should be out later this week. Look for the new app tile (shown above) that has our updated Iris logo on your phone to make sure you have the latest version of the Iris app or download it once it is available.   

Thank you,

The Iris Team

I wonder why different notices are going out. What could the reasoning be behind that.

Each of the three contains information that all would want to know.

Very strange.

I received all of the notifications posted above. Go figure...

Important notice about Alarm Requirements

Important updates about your Alarm Notification List

New Features & Enhancements from Iris

Edit: Forgot to mention that I don't have Alexa. 

4 hours ago, Vettester said:

It may have something to do with the Alarm Requirement settings.  I currently have mine set to trigger on a single device.

I did receive all three -- just got busy and couldn't post the other two. I am currently set to trigger on two devices; that may be why I got it and you didn't.

If I understand the text of my original notice, in the updated app any one contact sensor will trip the alarm, but I can set my motion sensors to be less sensitive. I think this makes sense, and I'm glad they've divorced the contact sensors from the motion sensors regarding the number setting.  ANY participating contact sensor being tripped on my system means someone has breached my interior, whereas my exterior cameras' motion sensors are often going off due to bugs, wind, etc.

What I'd really like is to be able to set the number separately for the ON and Partial settings.

sparc likes this

4 hours ago, pavalov said:

I did receive all three -- just got busy and couldn't post the other two. I am currently set to trigger on two devices; that may be why I got it and you didn't.

If I understand the text of my original notice, in the updated app any one contact sensor will trip the alarm, but I can set my motion sensors to be less sensitive. I think this makes sense, and I'm glad they've divorced the contact sensors from the motion sensors regarding the number setting.  ANY participating contact sensor being tripped on my system means someone has breached my interior, whereas my exterior cameras' motion sensors are often going off due to bugs, wind, etc.

What I'd really like is to be able to set the number separately for the ON and Partial settings.

As I read it the camera motion won't be part of the alarm trigger.  Only "motion only" devices.

14 hours ago, Otto Mation said:

I like the new look of the app.  No more picture of your house in a circle.  

Iris_Mobile_Dashboard_History_Final-502x1024.png

Edit:  Looks like he left is garge door opened.  What is a garge door anyway? :)

One with a dent in it.

19 hours ago, c379776 said:

As I read it the camera motion won't be part of the alarm trigger.  Only "motion only" devices.

That's a good point. I was assuming that included the cameras, but it may not. I need to give them a call for clarification.

Scunny developed some more information on this with a question on the IRIS blog. Here's the answer from IRIS staff:

Outside of motion sensors - The alarm will always trigger on any single non-motion device event that you have participating in the security service (contact sensor, tilt sensor, glass break) 

For motion sensors, you do not need to set the requirement to more than 1, you can set it to as many motion sensors as you have.   

If you have the number of motion sensors set to 2 or more, the total amount of time between events before resetting (meaning considering the next event a first event) is 5 minutes. For example, if you have the number of motion devices needed to set off an alarm set to 2 and you trip the first one at 1:00:00 PM and the d one at 1:04:59 PM it will cause the alarm to go off, but if you trip the first one at 1:00:00 PM and the second one trips at 1:05:01 PM, the second one is considered a “new” event and thus the first event. 

OK, So if I break in your house I just need to move real slow
so I don't trip more than one motion sensor every 5 minutes.

9 minutes ago, sparc said:

OK, So if I break in your house I just need to move real slow
so I don't trip more than one motion sensor every 5 minutes.

Or avoid tripping a single contact sensor, tilt sensor or glass break sensor.  That is not going to happen at my house.  I do wonder what happens if you trigger the same motion more than once within the same 5 minute window, though.

Yeah I admit it's not likely that some could get past all the sensors.

And a system that depended on only motion sensors would not be very robust.

I like using the 2 out of 2 devices triggered to set off an alarm but the problem with
that is for some areas such as my shed or garage I have to have two devices to
protect them so my 10x14 shed has contact sensors on the doors and a motion
sensor to back them up and provide the second half of the 2 out of 2 trip logic.

18 hours ago, Otto Mation said:

Or avoid tripping a single contact sensor, tilt sensor or glass break sensor.  That is not going to happen at my house.  I do wonder what happens if you trigger the same motion more than once within the same 5 minute window, though.

@Otto Mation, don't the motion sensors detect motion at 1 minute intervals?  Seems like I read that in the discussions of triggering lights with motion sensors.  I guess I am wording that incorrectly.  Don't they report motion to the hub at 1 minute intervals?

18 minutes ago, rdisom said:

@Otto Mation, don't the motion sensors detect motion at 1 minute intervals?  Seems like I read that in the discussions of triggering lights with motion sensors.  I guess I am wording that incorrectly.  Don't they report motion to the hub at 1 minute intervals?

They do which is why I posed the question.  I doubt that repeatedly triggering the first motion would set off the alarm by itself but was just wondering if it is possible.  I guess we can test that out when the new app is released.

sparc likes this

That would be good to know if two separate activations of the same motion sensor
would be interpreted as satisfying the 2 out of 2 logic and triggering the alarm.