Trusty camera is short-timing recordings

13 posts in this topic

One of my Gen 1 outdoor cameras keeps recording snippets of 4, 12, 27 etc seconds when it is supposed to fire for one minute. I've been on the phone with Tier 1 CS several times. The first guy said it was a bandwidth problem, which is not the case. Some or all of my 8 cameras fire at the same time on occasion, and my bandwidth is sufficient to capture full video from all of them.  Still, I tried lowering settings to satisfy him. Also tried deleting and rewriting the rule, resetting the hub, etc. No go...

Then the problem ceased for a day -- it was consistently firing for the full 60 seconds. Now the problem is back.

Are others experiencing this problem? Solutions?

The only time I see that is if I have multiple rules for that camera to record like the door opening and motion detection.  The door opening will start recording then a few seconds in the motion recording will cancel the door recording and start recording its own video.

sparc likes this

11 hours ago, pavalov said:

Are others experiencing this problem? Solutions?

My cameras have always done this, ALL of them (At least since V2) (however not as short as you are saying). They are all set to record for 10 minutes. They never record for 10 minutes. The recordings area always for random lengths, however they always restart, so I have multiple recordings. So I may get 6-8 minutes continuous, then I get a 2-3 minute clip at the end.  If I do get a 8-9 minute clip usually it just stops there and does not restart.

Usually I find the problem is most likely to happen when I try and view the camera when the alarm is going off, while the camera is trying to record. However this is not the only time, as it does it entirely on it's on as well.

3 hours ago, Vettester said:

Just out of curiosity what do you have your frame rates set to?

30 FPS. That was something else we tried -- lowering the frame rate. Didn't make a difference.

3 hours ago, Terk said:

The only time I see that is if I have multiple rules for that camera to record like the door opening and motion detection.  The door opening will start recording then a few seconds in the motion recording will cancel the door recording and start recording its own video.

Wish that were the problem, then I could just modify my rules. But in my case, there aren't any competing rules. It just short records. I don't even get several recordings like OhioYJ; it just stops.

7 hours ago, pavalov said:

30 FPS. That was something else we tried -- lowering the frame rate. Didn't make a difference.

Do you have any of your cameras connected to your router via Ethernet cable or are they all wireless?  If so, are you seeing the same issue with your wired camera(s)?

2 hours ago, Vettester said:

Do you have any of your cameras connected to your router via Ethernet cable or are they all wireless?  If so, are you seeing the same issue with your wired camera(s)?

All wireless. And to make diagnosis harder, the problem is intermittent -- I have two recordings in the last hour that were 59 & 60 seconds.

Have you ruled out wifi interference?  Obviously I'm grasping at straws because I don't use Iris for any of my camera's functionality and I'm not sure what is causing your issue.  However, a good solution to this would be to use a third party app to monitor your cameras.  I highly recommend Blue Iris as a third party application.

On another note using 30 FPS is overkill for for video surveillance cameras.  By setting your frame rate this high you are just increasing the amount of bandwidth your cameras are using with no visible increase in video quality.  It also increases the size of your video files which limits the number of files you can store within the Iris app.  For maximum efficiency I would recommend using 15 FPS for your Iris cameras.

Here's a simplified explanation of FPS:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22TCiQ6_yTs

16 hours ago, Vettester said:

Have you ruled out wifi interference?  Obviously I'm grasping at straws because I don't use Iris for any of my camera's functionality and I'm not sure what is causing your issue.  However, a good solution to this would be to use a third party app to monitor your cameras.  I highly recommend Blue Iris as a third party application.

On another note using 30 FPS is overkill for for video surveillance cameras.  By setting your frame rate this high you are just increasing the amount of bandwidth your cameras are using with no visible increase in video quality.  It also increases the size of your video files which limits the number of files you can store within the Iris app.  For maximum efficiency I would recommend using 15 FPS for your Iris cameras.

Here's a simplified explanation of FPS:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22TCiQ6_yTs

Thanks for the ideas. As for wifi interference, I'm on 2 acres, so neighboring signals are pretty weak. If you are referring to interference from other electronics in the house, I'm not sure what to look for.

As for 3rd party options, I've watched with interest the success you've had with that, but have not yet pulled the plug on doing it all within IRIS.  In part, it is helpful for my bride for it all to be in one place.  I haven't loaded the Avi'on app on her phone for similar reasons, although I do have a small network of lights working on that system as a security redundancy since it works even without internet.

As for the fps issue, I especially appreciate your info. I hadn't realized how little functional difference there is between 15 and 30, so I've dialed back all of the cameras.  Thanks to The Gill's portal, I have the ability to customize the fps a bit, so I've tried setting several to 20 just to see if I can tell the difference.

5 hours ago, pavalov said:

Thanks for the ideas. As for wifi interference, I'm on 2 acres, so neighboring signals are pretty weak. If you are referring to interference from other electronics in the house, I'm not sure what to look for.

You could start by running a simple continuos ping test to the camera.  Open up a command prompt in Windows and enter ping 192.168.0.1 -t  (replacing the 192.168.0.1 with the ip address of your camera).  Let this run for 5 - 10 minutes and then stop it (Ctrl+c).  If you post your results I'll see if I can help.

" If you are referring to interference from other electronics in the house, I'm not sure what to look for. "

What other Wi-Fi devices do you have in the house.

How many laptops or tablets or phones are connected by Wi-Fi.

How many Iris devices do you have that operate on Wi-Fi.

How about cameras, are they Wi-Fi or hardwired.

There are a number of free apps for iOS and Android that will scan all the Wi-Fi
channels and show you activity on them. WiFi Analyzer for android is one I use.

I can see my home network and that of all three neighbors plus the school across
the street which is at least 250 feet away. The app shows what channel they are
all on and the signal levels as read by my smartphone so if I place my phone near
my hub or near my WiFi access point I can get an idea of how much traffic there is
on any individual channel. Works on 2.4 and 5 GHz bands.

Fling is another tool which will show all the devices on your LAN along with their IP
and MAC addresses..

Netgear has a free app called WiFi Analytics. With it you can do some additional tests.