Firmware causing systemic problems
1 1

28 posts in this topic

So I joined this forum after browsing it for years. I was one of the holdouts to migrate from V1 to V2 and have 60+ devices. I have had no issues until the morning of 4/1. I got the new firmware update which, after calls to iris support, I have been told "only adjusted security settings on the backend and would not affect my environment at all." Well, that cannot be true. Every morning since all of my lighting, switches, and GE devices are disconnected, every single one of them. Alexa can't find the devices, scenes don't run, scheduled tasks fail, and until I go and manually trigger every device, the network is useless. Once I power or toggle the switch/plug/outlet a few times, they reconnect. I have rebuilt my zwave network twice, I have reset/rebooted the hub multiple times, and iris support is sending me a repeater plug as apparently they feel my zwave network that has been solid for 12 months has decided to become weak signaled right as they roll out the firmware.

I don't know where to go from here and if I am an isolated incident. Anyone else have this issue presently or previously?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I noticed scenes have a hard time completing and I was having a disconnect issue with a V2 smart plug at my rental house that a reboot fixed. The signal was 48% and dropping up and down. Reboot took it to 98% then it leveled back to 100%.

Only rebooted the hub. The iris tech had said next step is to remove my devices and reconnect. The premise of walking my hub around to 60 devices made me see red. I really feel whatever they pushed out has caused this, and was hoping I was not an isolated case. Have others here had the update yet and is your system functioning as normal???

sparc likes this

I got the update everything is great. 

19 Switches (3 Iris smart plugs, 16 GE in wall switches) 1 Dimmer (GE) and 3 Lights (OSRAM). Other CS and MS.

2 minutes ago, scunny said:

17 here and no problems.

Yea right.... I think you left a number off the end.

Thanks all, I did another hub reset, rebuilt the zwave network, and will hope for the best. If not I am going to reset all the devices and reconnect. Thanks again for the insight!

5 minutes ago, scunny said:

Sorry, 017.

Is that the number you added over the weekend?

I have two outdoor cameras and starting on Thursday (the 6th) they stopped connecting. Tech support told me to reboot the system, which didn't work. Then tried to delete cameras and re-pair, which didn't fix connectivity issues. The cameras now work when they are inside of wall where they are mounted but when I move them outside they stop connecting. I have top internet connection, router and modem. I have run speed test and signal strength where cameras are mounted and the numbers are high enough it doesn't seem like an issue. The numbers are well above the minimum upload/download speeds the tech support wanted. The cameras were installed and working from mid December up until last Thursday. Iris tech support told me that it's not an equipment issue and they don't know what the fix is...Can anyone help me out with ideas? 

Maybe try switching channels on you wireless setup, if one of your neighbors recently changed their router/AP it could be causing too much noise on the channel you have been using.

21 minutes ago, Terk said:

Maybe try switching channels on you wireless setup, if one of your neighbors recently changed their router/AP it could be causing too much noise on the channel you have been using.

How do I switch channels?

Sign into the web interface of your router/AP and on the wireless tab you should be able to select the channel something like the Control Channel at http://event.asus.com/2012/nw/dummy_ui/en/Advanced_Wireless_Content.html, you can see this one is set to Auto be default.  That doesn't necessarily mean it will detect noise and move it though so I'd try 1, 11, or 6 if you have an Android there is a good app for detecting WIFI noise called Wifi Analyzer https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer

I found where to change the channels and I downloaded the Analyzer App. My signal strength is about 2x stronger than the closest WIFI. There are several networks in range though. As for channels, I have Auto (default) and then my channel numbers are all much higher (start at 36, 40, 44...) and have a GHz number after the channel. Would a higher number be better? I have tried several different channels with no luck connecting the cameras. 

Sorry I should have pointed that out, many APs these days have both a 2.4 GHZ and a 5 GHZ antenna and you can control the channels independently, the 2.4 GHZ network uses the lower channels.  The original Iris cameras are 2.4 GHZ, I'm not sure about the new camera but I'd guess it is still 2.4 GHZ.

The only other thing I can think of that could allow it to work inside but not out is if the outlet your using outside isn't working, I'm guessing that's not the case but have you tried plugging something else in there?

Yeah, I have 2 cameras doing the same thing. Outlets are both working. Cameras worked in these spots for almost 4 months without any issues. 

Do the cameras work again when moved back inside after taking them outside? If not it could be your router assigning a new IP to the cameras when you unplug them and move them.

If that is the case you could go into your router and assign them a fixed or static IP to keep them from changing.