Deadbolt locked but iris doesn't know

11 posts in this topic

I've been having a random issue with our front door deadbolt.
Occasionally it seems that when we lock it manually, iris doesn't "get the memo".
For instance, this morning my wife and I both left at the same time. She locked the door behind her and I paused to verify it was, in fact, locked.
After we were both gone for about 10 minutes our away rule ran and set the alarm... I also have a rule that will lock the front deadbolt if it is unlocked when the alarm is set.
It seems that iris THOUGHT the door was not locked, and I received a notification saying that iris was locking the front door because it was unlocked when the alarm was set.
I have looked at my history, filtered by that particular device, and I see several instances over the last few days where it was unlocked more than once without a "locked" event between them (obviously you cant unlock a door that isn't already locked). Its almost like sometimes when it is locked manually, iris isn't notified.

I just tried something and got a strange result. From the web based interface I ran the "home" scene which also unlocks the front door... I looked at the history and it showed the front door was unlocked.
I then ran the "away" scene and received the notification that the deadbolt was going to be locked because the alarm was set... then I checked my log. It did not show an entry that the front door locked. I was in the web based interface, so I went to devices and it showed the front door deadbolt as "locking". After about 5 minutes it still showed as "locking", with no indication that it was locked in the log. I ran the home scene again and checked the log... it showed that it had been unlocked. Then I waited a minute or two and ran the away scene (again, received a notification that the deadbolt would be locked) and now the log shows the door was locked at that time.

Had the exact same thing happen last night, it showed the door was unlocked when it wasn't. I just pulled the batteries, waited 10 seconds, plugged it back in, and cycled the lock open and closed manually and the status was correct again. For how long, we shall see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm only two weeks in to having a (Schlage) deadbolt on the system.  What you described is what I've been experiencing almost since it was installed. For the first few days, notifications were reliable. Now, more often than not, the notifications either don't occur at all, or come 15-20 minutes after the lock has been manually locked/unlocked.

Dan8785 likes this

I have also seen where it can take 15 minutes or more for Iris to realize my lock did in fact unlock when asked to through the app so I cannot lock it again until it detects the unlock.  So I will only unlock it through the app if absolutely necessary since I don't want to rely on the person I'm unlocking it for to lock it again and I don't want the house to remain unlocked while I wait for Iris to detect the locks true state.  I moved one of my locks to my SmartThings system and unfortunately it wasn't any more reliable and I don't like relying on community created apps to set the codes in my lock or to send the codes in clear text to the SmartThings IDE from the Keypad so I moved the lock back to Iris.

I've had the same thing going on with the Kwikset locks,  but to be honest with you I think I have the away scene set to lock the doors when the last one leaves - without really specifying not to if they are already locked. 
I'll have to check and see, but honestly I haven't really worried about it.

Well, I first noticed this several months ago. My wife would be the last to leave and I would get a notification saying the door was being locked because the alarm came on.
I kept fussing at her about leaving it unlocked when she leaves, and she insisted that she had double checked and had, in fact, locked it upon leaving. Eventually I was able to verify this.
It seemed to get better for a while, but lately it has started up again.
It bothered me at first (I thought maybe it was somehow unlocking after we left), but now that I know it is actually locked but iris doesn't realize it, it doesn't bother me as much.
I like getting that notification to let me know someone forgot to lock the door, (and the fact that iris will then do it for me), but I have no confidence in its accuracy, so it really means nothing when I get it.

59 minutes ago, awraynor said:

Same thing for my garage doors. Neither open nor closed is greyed out. Look through camera and fortunately it's shut. 

Similar to this?

Deadbolt.png     Deadbolt 2.png

Manually cycling the lock brought it back.

17 days after installation, and my Schlage just disconnected. Manually cycling didn't bring it back. Followed the IRIS instructions, but even using the programming code didn't bring it back. Instructions said a factory reset was the next thing to try, which involves removing the cover and disconnecting the battery, then reconnecting the battery while pressing the front Schlage button. Did it, and I immediately got a notification that the deadbolt had reconnected to IRIS. However, it had reset to the default codes and said there were 0 people authorized with a pin code. Tried to authorize myself, but the IRIS app assumes you are already authorized and so it just had an option for adding a visitor. All buttons grey. Half hour later, and the buttons were functioning, but had to change the PIN through the programming code at the lock -- it didn't automatically read the IRIS PIN. I can't remember if that's how I had to do it originally, but last week I was able to change the IRIS PIN and it automatically changed the door PIN. Couldn't do that tonight.

I'm glad I'm not crazy.  I got onto the forum today just to see if anyone else is having this happen.  I have the Schlage touch-screen deadbolt.  This issue seems to have started in the last few weeks for me.   I never recall having this issue in the past.  It is annoying, especially since I happen to have company staying at my house right now so I'm paranoid that the lock wasn't locked properly...