Range Issue on Contact Sensor on Shed Door
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I've got a V2 hub with quite a few devices (both V1 and V2) working on it.  It is pretty robust overall.  I tried installing a contact sensor on a backyard shed door but it appears to be out of range.  I believe that the smart plugs act as range extenders so I moved a V2 smart plug to an internal outlet closest to the shed and that didn't seem to help.  The shed is probably 50' from the smart plug which is plugged into a basement outlet so it is masked by the foundation wall.  The smart hub is in another part of the basement about 60' away from the smart plug.  Does anyone have any suggestions to get additional range to hook the contact sensor into the network?

Thanks in advance!

If you have power to the shed you try putting the smart plug in the shed to see if you can control the plug.  If you don't have power to the shed you could just try putting the smart plug somewhere outside between the hub and the shed.

thanks for the input guys.  It is a V2 sensor and I don't have a V1 sensor handy or i'd try it for grins.

No power to the shed but I do have shielded external outlet so I plugged the smart plug into that.  Nothing immediately got better so I opened the shed door and saw that the sensor was flashing different colored lights.  Red steady then flashing then green flashing and even saw a blue light here and there.  I guess it was trying to talk to the mother ship.  It did this for a few minutes and there didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason or pattern.  Still no connection to the hub and i was losing my patience so I slid open the battery cover a bit and the flashing stopped.  I closed the door and saw the green light flash signaling that it closed and then it was connected to the hub again and I could see the status.  Looks to be working fine now.  Not sure if the light flashing is typical or not but it was kinda pretty.  Anyway, it worked so thanks for the help.

Best,

Jerry

I'm glad you got it working. The flashing multi-color indicates an error.  If you pull the battery out and put it back in it will typically reset and you should be fine.  

I'm glad you got it working. The flashing multi-color indicates an error.  If you pull the battery out and put it back in it will typically reset and you should be fine.  

With the contact open. I believe doing it closed contact causes the light show, happened that way with mine, correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like AccessDenied79 said, Sometimes if you put the battery in while the contact sensor is closed (by its magnet) it will flash like that and pulling the battery and putting it back in while the sensor is open usually will fix it.

I noticed too that after the last platform update all my gen 1 contact sensors range has been reduced. when i called iris they said i needed to go purchase gen 2. 

18 minutes ago, Irisuser01 said:

I noticed too that after the last platform update all my gen 1 contact sensors range has been reduced. when i called iris they said i needed to go purchase gen 2. 

I have all Gen 1 sensors with very few exceptions and my system is rock solid with many devices.  I believe that the Gen 1 sensors are superior to the Gen 2 sensors in most every way including range. 

Edit:  You might want to get on the web portal and find out what Zigbee channel your hub is using and make sure that your 2.4 GHz WiFi is on a channel does not interfere with your Zigbee channel.  That would be the first place that I would start.

I have to agree with Otto, I am using gen 1 contact sensors on some outside gates and I have not noticed any change in the effective range of these sensors.

7 hours ago, Otto Mation said:

I have all Gen 1 sensors with very few exceptions and my system is rock solid with many devices.  I believe that the Gen 1 sensors are superior to the Gen 2 sensors in most every way including range. 

Edit:  You might want to get on the web portal and find out what Zigbee channel your hub is using and make sure that your 2.4 GHz WiFi is on a channel does not interfere with your Zigbee channel.  That would be the first place that I would start.

I have quite a few wifi  networks where I am at but I will try that. Yay for connected condos. 

7 hours ago, Otto Mation said:

Router is on 6 hub is on 14 which leaks into chan 1. However several of my neighbors are on chan 1 and 2..

It is quite crowded. Guess I need a smart plug..

On 4/9/2017 at 3:39 PM, derby said:

Hey everyone,

I've got a V2 hub with quite a few devices (both V1 and V2) working on it.  It is pretty robust overall.  I tried installing a contact sensor on a backyard shed door but it appears to be out of range.  I believe that the smart plugs act as range extenders so I moved a V2 smart plug to an internal outlet closest to the shed and that didn't seem to help.  The shed is probably 50' from the smart plug which is plugged into a basement outlet so it is masked by the foundation wall.  The smart hub is in another part of the basement about 60' away from the smart plug.  Does anyone have any suggestions to get additional range to hook the contact sensor into the network?

Thanks in advance!

Is this a Steel or a Wood shed? 

Steel will attenuate the signal, if the sensor is inside.  Perhaps up to 90 percent.

Wood will not be much of a problem at all.

Hi EyeRuss,

Sorry for the tardy response.  This is a wood shed; I think the issue was just the distance.  I ended up placing a smart plug in an outside outlet fairly close to the shed.  The outlet is shielded environmentally.  This worked and has been in place for a few months with no issues.

Thanks

Jerry