Iris_by_Lowes, why did you take away temperature graphing over time in V2???
2 2

15 posts in this topic

Iris_by_Lowes, why did you take away temperature graphing over time in V2???

It was such a useful feature in a number of scenarios.

No offense, but I'd like to hear that directly from Iris_by_Lowes.

Personally, I find that answer to be unacceptable.  What ever happened to 100% parity between V1 and V2??

6 minutes ago, synack said:

No offense, but I'd like to hear that directly from Iris_by_Lowes.

Personally, I find that answer to be unacceptable.  What ever happened to 100% parity between V1 and V2??

From the official Iris forum:

Iris

Community Manager Iris

Community Manager
‎01-12-2017 01:27 PM 

Status changed to: Needs Info

"Re-introducing energy monitoring isn't something we're working on currently. According to our metrics on V1, we didn't see widespread adoption of this feature set. However, we would appreciate use cases for temperature graphing."

Here is a link to the official forum topic if you want to let them know your opinion:

https://community.irisbylowes.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Temperature-and-Energy-Usage-Plots-Like-Version-1-0/idi-p/212#comments

What ever happened to 100% parity between V1 and V2??

To my knowledge Lowe's has never officially stated there would be 100% parity between the two versions.

1 hour ago, Vettester said:

To my knowledge Lowe's has never officially stated there would be 100% parity between the two versions.

No but we were promised parity.  And still what I'm seeing isn't parity in the least bit IMO.

No but we were promised parity.  And still what I'm seeing isn't parity in the least bit IMO.

Hmmm... I don't recall any promises from anyone who works for Lowe's either.

straight from the Q&A...

7.     We've been told that V2 will ultimately be in parity with V1. Does this mean all features and rules such as temp based device control, energy history on Smart Plugs, energy history on the meter reader?

We are working diligently toward full parity.  However, I’d suggest “all features” is a difficult statement as there may be things that we think we can do better. This means they may not be exactly as they were in V1, and there may be some new things that take priority over a V1 feature given their benefit to you. 

However, all of those things mentioned are in the roadmap and all within what I would call a “short” time span.  The temperature rules I expect very soon.

Also, we are working on an improved whole-home energy solution. We want to provide the best energy accuracy we can

scunny likes this

13 hours ago, Isenberg said:

straight from the Q&A...

7.     We've been told that V2 will ultimately be in parity with V1. Does this mean all features and rules such as temp based device control, energy history on Smart Plugs, energy history on the meter reader?

We are working diligently toward full parity.  However, I’d suggest “all features” is a difficult statement as there may be things that we think we can do better. This means they may not be exactly as they were in V1, and there may be some new things that take priority over a V1 feature given their benefit to you. 

However, all of those things mentioned are in the roadmap and all within what I would call a “short” time span.  The temperature rules I expect very soon.

Also, we are working on an improved whole-home energy solution. We want to provide the best energy accuracy we can

They had a couple whole home solutions that worked.  One of which I have and still have hooked up and am using, just not with Iris.  My power bill is almost on par with the reader (+/- 5KWH variance).  I've had it installed at my current address for 3 years now, no issues besides having the batteries in the sensor for the meter dying out every few months (which was from using cheap batteries, switched over to Lithium batteries and haven't changed in over a year).  

I am able to get the temperature outside (measured at the power meter), a real-time usage, and a usage per hour.  I'm able to look at the graph and note when certain appliances are turned on.  I can tell that my water heater turns on every 30 minutes for about 5 minutes in total to bring the temperature back up to 120F, I can tell when the dryer element is cycling on and off, I can tell when the compressor in the heat pump has kicked in, all by the amount of energy used.  But Lowe's decided to drop support for it.  Same thing with the other unit that was supported via V1, which was even more accurate.

The short time span is also a lie.  It's been almost a year now since V1 was shut down.  Sure some of V2 has gotten better, but there's still more issues and missing features that should have been implemented from the start. From my perspective, a "short" time span is about a month or two tops.  It took me less than a month to write and develop code and circuitry for a project (unrelated to Iris, but required similar abilities).  That was not knowing a thing about C++, and not having designed circuitry or done any engineering work before.  All while only working on the project in my spare time after working a 10 hour day.  Including debugging and testing the code on the actual device.  It's taken the Iris team almost a year to give us a half functional Web UI (which another user has developed a working one before), and half functional features.

And as far as the Q&A, that answer of working on a whole-home solution doesn't match up with what was stated on the official Iris community forums about "not being enough demand and users on V1 to justify the feature on V2".  Iris limited the number of users by not supporting one of the solutions that worked with V1 officially until 2015, and by not carrying the other working solution but in very limited stores.  They self-restricted the demand, then blamed us for the lack of users.

scunny likes this

On 4/19/2017 at 9:47 AM, Vettester said:

Look up parity in the dictionary.   There is no such thing as 99% Parity (or any smaller number). It strictly refers to 100%.

Sort of like someone trying to say they are 70% pregnant.  Either you are, or you are not.

I really miss the temperature graphs.

3 hours ago, EyeRuss said:

Look up parity in the dictionary.   There is no such thing as 99% Parity (or any smaller number). It strictly refers to 100%.

Sort of like someone trying to say they are 70% pregnant.  Either you are, or you are not.

I really miss the temperature graphs.

And your point is???

The energy monitoring capability of V1 was the single most important feature that lead to my investment in Iris in the first place. I found the ability to measure energy usage both at the smartplug and the meter reader lead to significant energy savings and the savings eventually paid for the iris components. I spend my winters out of state in warmer climates, so its CRITICAL that I be able to see the temperature history of key areas of the house to ensure that my pipes dont freeze. I tapped contact sensors to the pipes on external walls of my basement, and had alerts sent to me when the temperature was within 5 degrees of freezing. When I got the alert, I would raise the temperature set point of nearby thermostats. This process allowed me to minimally heat the house and achieve the highest degree of energy savings. I dont know how Lowes determined that this feature wasnt heavily used in V1, but I think its a MAJOR selling feature of the overall system. I would also like to be able to monitor the humidity levels of my basement during the summer months, and have a rule to turn on the dehumidifier if the humidity gets too high. The dehumidifier is the largest single electrical cost during the summer months. I'm asking Lowes to reconsider the priority of the energy management ability for V2.

sparc likes this

17 hours ago, dbjh said:

The energy monitoring capability of V1 was the single most important feature that lead to my investment in Iris in the first place. I found the ability to measure energy usage both at the smartplug and the meter reader lead to significant energy savings and the savings eventually paid for the iris components. I spend my winters out of state in warmer climates, so its CRITICAL that I be able to see the temperature history of key areas of the house to ensure that my pipes dont freeze. I tapped contact sensors to the pipes on external walls of my basement, and had alerts sent to me when the temperature was within 5 degrees of freezing. When I got the alert, I would raise the temperature set point of nearby thermostats. This process allowed me to minimally heat the house and achieve the highest degree of energy savings. I dont know how Lowes determined that this feature wasnt heavily used in V1, but I think its a MAJOR selling feature of the overall system. I would also like to be able to monitor the humidity levels of my basement during the summer months, and have a rule to turn on the dehumidifier if the humidity gets too high. The dehumidifier is the largest single electrical cost during the summer months. I'm asking Lowes to reconsider the priority of the energy management ability for V2.

We all know there are no energy use graphs in V2, but with the exception of humidity rules, everything else you mentioned can be accomplished with V2.  If your thermostat has the ability to monitor humidity you could have Iris send you a notification and then manually control your humidifier through a smart switch.  

On 4/22/2017 at 6:13 PM, dbjh said:

I would also like to be able to monitor the humidity levels of my basement during the summer months, and have a rule to turn on the dehumidifier if the humidity gets too high.

Robust humidity rules and devices have yet to be developed by Iris. The monitoring structure is there already, but the only things on the system that measure humidity so far are the CT-101 t-stats and the Halo smoke detectors. There is no rule that will activate a device based on humidity; only one that notifies you when humidity goes above or below a certain level. Iris needs to support a simple humidity sensor, and create a rule that activates devices based on humidity readings.

That said, there is a crude work-around for your situation. Install a Halo or CT-101 in your basement. Then set a Climate Rule to notify you when humidity gets above a certain level. Activate your dehumidifier with a smart switch. Turn it off when you get notified by a second Climate Rule that humidity has dropped below a certain level.

I've bought a CT-101 to use in this way in my crawl space, but haven't installed it yet. (It shouldn't have to be attached to an HVAC system; I'll just use it as a humidity sensor). BTW, there is one for sale in the Market Place section of this forum.