Iris vs SmartThings
3 3

20 posts in this topic

If you have either recently moved from one platform to the other, or if you were contemplating this decision, what would be the single most important factor you would consider in making this decision.  Please list only one.

I have just switched to ST.  I have about 5 devices left on Iris right now and I have switched to the free account.

The main reason was Energy monitoring.  I bought the ST hub because I was tired of waiting to use my Aeon Labs energy monitor.

Once I got my first device connected started reading their community forum and seeing all the things I could do, I am now just about entirely on ST

Geo Fencing, would be a strong second to energy monitoring.

You mentioned free account,  energy monitoring and geo fencing. Which would you consider the most important? 

I haven't switched and I don't plan on it, but if I had to start over I would base my decision on overall system functionality.  I know that is a broad subject, but in my opinion the system that has the most functionality in the end is going to be the winner.  If Iris wants to maintain their closed platform mentality, they better step up their development processes or they are going to be left behind.

scunny and loonytim like this

26 minutes ago, Terminal said:

As I said the main reason was Energy Monitoring

My bad. I wasn't paying attention. 

I have most of my lights and a number of sensors on SmartThings primarily because of Geo fencing.  But I have my security related things on Iris still because of the phone call notifications.

Local processing.

According to the ST web site:

"The Samsung SmartThings Hub (Hub v2) is capable of local processing and has battery backup;"

and

"The Smart Home Monitor “child SmartApps” that can run locally include Alert with Lights, Alert with Sirens, Close Valves (for Leaks), and Unlock doors (for Smoke)."

I have not switched completely either.  I am looking into other systems, also because of energy monitoring.  This was one of the main reasons I got an iris system to begin with.  I have not moved over yet but I am also not replacing any batteries anymore and once everything is done, I most likely will be done as well.  Out of my entire system, I have a water timer, two door sensors and one motion detector that still have batteries working... the battery life on my system has been atrocious. 

DuoDS likes this

Wow, it's strange how everyone's mileage varies so much most of my v1 devices are still on their original batteries from 2+ years ago.  And all of my v2 devices are on their original batteries.  I did get a bad v2 motion detector which would chew through a battery inside of a week but took it back and the one I have now has been working for more than 6 months without fail.  The third party devices like NYCE, Schlage, and Yale, have all lasted 6 months or more at a time but I have had to replace their batteries a few times each throughout their lifetimes.

I am sticking with Iris for the same reason I originally bought into it.  They had almost everything I wanted at the time.  I'm in too deep to jump ship now.

awraynor likes this

I'll stay with IRIS if the developers actively maintain and improve it at a reasonable pace, and especially eventually implement local processing, mostly due to the possible switchover costs - I have ~60 devices including water softener.

Actively maintained, supported, and improved is my watchword.  I used to do quite a bit of open source software development, and I'm careful about being stuck with abandonware.

That said, I sometimes feel like I'm on failing platform and if I don't move, I'll be the last one using it.  The speed of iris development during the last 18 months has been atrocious, and the presentation of IRIS devices in the Lowe's stores is getting worse each year....I'm embarrassed to shop near it as most of the items are out of stock, and even the pickit signs that indicate Lowe's employees have to get the item for you are nearly always completely empty.  I'm afraid shopping for IRIS devices is going to be entirely online soon.  There is no way the stores are making any money and if it's as if they are trying to make a point about how awful IRIS is for them.

Strangely enough, if you call IRIS support lately...they seem to be really on the ball and get back to you quickly.  It's weird how it is the complete opposite of the stores.

loonytim likes this

17 hours ago, Terk said:

I have most of my lights and a number of sensors on SmartThings primarily because of Geo fencing.  But I have my security related things on Iris still because of the phone call notifications.

If you link ST to IFTTT you can receive phone calls. I have it setup that way and both times I accidentally set off my alarm I received a phone call from IFTTT almost immediately. 

My biggest reason for switching was the types of rules ST had - setting up multiple devices controlling other multiple devices etc. But there were also several very close seconds.

If I was to switch to anything but IRIS, it would be over monitoring, energy and temp monitoring are the main reasons I started building a smart house in the first place. At this point, I am still hopeful this will come back to IRIS. 

On 4/25/2017 at 5:05 PM, yuriypgh said:

If you link ST to IFTTT you can receive phone calls. I have it setup that way and both times I accidentally set off my alarm I received a phone call from IFTTT almost immediately. 

My biggest reason for switching was the types of rules ST had - setting up multiple devices controlling other multiple devices etc. But there were also several very close seconds.

I do have some things setup in STs to call me using the IFTTT method however I could only find a way to have it call one number and there are times where my Wifes phone has signal but mine doesn't (Sprint vs Verizon) so I'd like it to alert us both and I haven't found a way to set that up with the IFTTT Call option.  Are you aware if that is possible?

Thanks.

26 minutes ago, Terk said:

I do have some things setup in STs to call me using the IFTTT method however I could only find a way to have it call one number and there are times where my Wifes phone has signal but mine doesn't (Sprint vs Verizon) so I'd like it to alert us both and I haven't found a way to set that up with the IFTTT Call option.  Are you aware if that is possible?

Thanks.

Haven't tried, but you could just try setting up multiple IFTTT rules - one for each phone number. You can also set it up to go to a google voice number, which can in turn ring all of the mobile numbers linked to it.

Interesting to see energy monitoring mentioned so much. Its the most important feature that caused me to invest in Iris. You cant have a "smart house" without energy monitoring. I hope iris brings this back. I may jump ship if this doesnt come back in the next year.

On 4/25/2017 at 1:37 PM, rdisom said:

I am sticking with Iris for the same reason I originally bought into it.  They had almost everything I wanted at the time.  I'm in too deep to jump ship now.

Kind of the same for me, but keep Iris more as a security system. I would really like the Ring Floodlight/Doorbell cams, Automatic and a few other devices.

I do like everything under Iris being in the one app, and I couldn't even begin to change to ST for the prices I paid for my Iris devices. 

rdisom likes this

On 5/2/2017 at 5:28 PM, dbjh said:

Interesting to see energy monitoring mentioned so much. Its the most important feature that caused me to invest in Iris. You cant have a "smart house" without energy monitoring. I hope iris brings this back. I may jump ship if this doesnt come back in the next year.

@dbjhRight! without the monitoring, it is just a fancy remote controlled house. Not really a smart house at all. . . At least not as smart as it could be.

Especially now that my locks are no longer telling me who's code unlocked them (gotta work on that). 

I switched to Smartthings last year and haven't looked back. The system is stable and works well. There is a bit of a learning curve but once you understand ST, it gets easier. Iris simply did not work in my house. Too many device disconnections.