We got a new Platform Update 04/26/2017 New Alexa Skills!!!
2 2

53 posts in this topic

I noticed that we just got a new platform update and for the heck of it I told Alexa to find new devices.  She found all of my locks and Scenes.  I was able to get her to lock the doors (but not unlock, she tells me she can't unlock them to be safe) but I haven't figured out how to run a scene yet.

Mustang and pavalov like this

Yep, confirmed the door locks work with alexa a few minutes ago. I was on my way out the door so I didn't have time to experiment with the scenes.
I'm hoping I can make a scene a part of a group in alexa. With my harmony hub, I'd like to have a scene that turns off and dims certain lights in my living room that I can couple with the Blu-Ray or Tivo activities of my harmony hub. I could create a group for alexa called "Blu-Ray Cinema Experience" and "Tivo Cinema experience" that enabled the appropriate harmony activity as well as running a specific lighting scene. This would still allow me to use the normal "turn on TV" or "Turn on Blu-Ray" activities if I didn't want the lighting scenes to be impacted.

I'm planning to play with this tonight to see what I can get working!

Also to be noted;
All my scenes are not detected by Alexa. Only the ones that strictly deal with lighting.
I have scenes that also lock the front door, set the alarm to partial, or set the alarm to on.
I don't know if it's the lock activity, the alarm activity, or both that disqualify some of my scenes from being seen by alexa.
I'm thinking if a scene contains any device other than lights and switches, it will not be available to launch via alexa.

I am trying right now and "turn on night" says "ok" but nothing happens. Lock back door works, what is the status of back door lock works. Still working on scenes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@accessdenied79 Make sure your "night" scene is showing in the smart home devices section of the alexa app.
I have several scenes that aren't showing up, presumably because they contain devices other than just lighting and switches.
Is your "night" scene nothing but lighting?

Could have swore I saw it in there, oh well. Yeah that one isn't in there maybe because it sets the alarm? My all devices off worked, accidentally shut the pool down. Haha.

Smitho likes this

I wonder if any other goodies are included with this platform update which we don't know about yet...
I haven't seen any statement by iris about the new alexa skills... maybe they are waiting for an app update that goes along with the platform update?

Either way, nice find @Otto Mation

Mustang likes this

Okay, I have played with it a bit now.  Alexa turn on (scene name) works but I have scenes with motorized blinds in them and they will not run.  I also will not run scenes with locks in them.  

I was able to make a group and call it "Front Door" and then dropped my "Deadbolt Front Door" in it and she will lock it but not unlock it.  This is so that I can say Alexa lock the front door without messing up my device naming convention.  She also will not lock a group with more than one lock in it but then Iris can't do it in a scene either consistently anyway.

Edit:  I was wrong, I can lift the blinds in a scene with Alexa.  I had to rebuild the scene but it is working  now. 

5 hours ago, scunny said:

I somehow believe we're going to see some very exciting news that comes along with this update.

I somehow believe that when scunny "somehow believes", we should believe his belief.

*crosses fingers for nest thermostat support*

2 minutes ago, Smitho said:

I somehow believe that when scunny "somehow believes", we should believe his belief.

*crosses fingers for nest thermostat support*

Not what I had in mind but hey we now have google integration so someday maybe Nest.

Strange -- I can get the deadbolt to lock and can get lock status, but I can't get any scenes to run. When I say, for instance, Turn on Foundation Fans (a scene with two smart switches on it) Alexa tells me I have several devices by that name, which I don't. When I say Turn on Auxiliary Outdoor Lights (the exact scene title that is in the Alexa Smart Skills Device List), it tells me I don't have a device by that name.

Has anyone discovered an alternative way to ask her to run scenes other than (Turn On . . .)? It doesn't seem to differentiate between scenes and devices.

I haven't tried it yet, but I wonder if they have a custom skill enabled now? If so, you would have to launch them using an invocation name chosen by iris.
I'm not sure if they would have to create a second alexa skill to be enabled (similar to how harmony has a basic skill and a custom skill), or if they can somehow update their existing skill.
The most obvious choice for an invocation phrase would be something like "alexa, tell iris to __________", or "alexa, tell iris-by-lowe's to__________".
They could have also decided to use some other invocation name such as "my house". Who knows...  I'm hoping a greatly expanded "custom" skill set is coming soon!

I looked at trying to get the locks and scenes available in Google Home but it still only sees lights.  I even tried un-linking and re-linking my Iris account since there is no rescan option.

Interestingly enough, the 2.2 release notes do not mention supporting scenes and locks in Alexa. I wonder if this is part of another announcement coming soon...

12 minutes ago, Smitho said:

Interestingly enough, the 2.2 release notes do not mention supporting scenes and locks in Alexa. I wonder if this is part of another announcement coming soon...

I am seeing it here:  https://community.irisbylowes.com/t5/News-Announcements/Iris-Release-Notes-App-Release-2-2/m-p/1962#U1962

scunny likes this

13 hours ago, Otto Mation said:

ahh... it wasn't mentioned in the blog post they did
I also checked the "release notes" section of the iris support site (which is completely out of date) and there is nothing on 2.2.
I didn't think to look for a post in the official community forum.

Is there any way to integrate the GDO with Alexa? I would love to be able to at least ask the status, like "Alexa, is the garage door open?". And just like locks, I would like to be able to close the GDO with Alexa, although opening it could be a security issue.

6 minutes ago, Earl said:

Is there any way to integrate the GDO with Alexa? I would love to be able to at least ask the status, like "Alexa, is the garage door open?". And just like locks, I would like to be able to close the GDO with Alexa, although opening it could be a security issue.

I don't believe it is possible at this time through iris... there may be garage door openers that integrate directly with alexa though... I've not looked into that.