We got a new Platform Update 04/26/2017 New Alexa Skills!!!
2 2

53 posts in this topic

My video storage capacity has just increased by 50%! I'm now being allocated 3 gb of video space. Is that the same for everyone, or is it maybe a nod to folks who are still "Premium" customers?

I have a 4TB limit on my video storage capacity through Blue Iris.   Since I'm still on the Iris premium plan it's too bad I couldn't just "donate" my allocated Iris storage to someone else.

thegillion, KingBatman and pavalov like this

Nice on the increases but I don't think the limits are currently enforced.

They fixed this a while back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, Vettester said:

I have a 4TB limit on my video storage capacity through Blue Iris.   Since I'm still on the Iris premium plan it's too bad I couldn't just "donate" my allocated Iris storage to someone else.

Is that 4TB cloud storage?  How much do they charge per month?  Thanks.

Is that 4TB cloud storage?  How much do they charge per month?  Thanks.

No, that's local storage. The drive is a WD Purple 4TB Surveillance Hard Disk and it costs $132.99 from Amazon.
sparc likes this

On 4/28/2017 at 7:06 PM, scunny said:

Nice on the increases but I don't think the limits are currently enforced.

The way I noticed the increase was that my storage percentage was at 10%. When I checked it later, the % had gone down significantly even though I had more videos. I'm not sure when they quit enforcing the limit, but I have lost recordings before due to going over the former 2 gb limit.

On 4/27/2017 at 3:04 AM, pavalov said:

Strange -- I can get the deadbolt to lock and can get lock status, but I can't get any scenes to run. When I say, for instance, Turn on Foundation Fans (a scene with two smart switches on it) Alexa tells me I have several devices by that name, which I don't. When I say Turn on Auxiliary Outdoor Lights (the exact scene title that is in the Alexa Smart Skills Device List), it tells me I don't have a device by that name.

Has anyone discovered an alternative way to ask her to run scenes other than (Turn On . . .)? It doesn't seem to differentiate between scenes and devices.

This continues to be my experience with the expanded skills. I cannot get Alexa to recognize Scenes, even though they show up in the Alexa app. I re-ran the Discover Devices command in the Alexa app, but it didn't solve the problem.  Is anyone else having trouble getting Alexa to differentiate between Devices and Scenes? Tier 2 support has received a pdf with the new expanded commands (but they have not been posted for our use yet). The pdf reports that the proper command is "Turn [off/on] Scene X", but that is not working for me.

8 hours ago, pavalov said:

This continues to be my experience with the expanded skills. I cannot get Alexa to recognize Scenes, even though they show up in the Alexa app. I re-ran the Discover Devices command in the Alexa app, but it didn't solve the problem.  Is anyone else having trouble getting Alexa to differentiate between Devices and Scenes? Tier 2 support has received a pdf with the new expanded commands (but they have not been posted for our use yet). The pdf reports that the proper command is "Turn [off/on] Scene X", but that is not working for me.

Given the Syntax you specified, to run a scene called "goodnight" which of the following commands are you using?
A- "Turn on Goodnight"
B- "Turn on Scene Goodnight"

In my experience, only "A" would work (assuming you don't have locks or the alarm status as part of the scene)
I can imagine, if you your scenes and devices have similar names, it could cause some problems. I had some issues initially with groups within alexa and individual devices.
I had to come up names that didn't overlap. I have found that Alexa is pretty good about differentiating between singular and plural device names. For instance, I have a "kitchen light", "recessed lights", and "under cabinet lights" in our kitchen. I also have a group called "Kitchen LightS". It is pretty good about recognizing the "s" on the end and running the "kitchen lights" group instead of the individual "kitchen light". I did have some issues with "hall light", and "hall bathroom light" initially ( "There are several devices by that name, which one do you want??"), but for some reason when I changed them to "hallway bathroom light", and "hallway light" I no longer have these issues... :wacko:
Just takes some experimentation.

I have a little experience building voice skills for Alexa, and I just wanted to point out that Alexa seems to handle multi-syllable words better in some cases. I had the same issue with "hall" vs. "hallway"

2 hours ago, Smitho said:

Given the Syntax you specified, to run a scene called "goodnight" which of the following commands are you using?
A- "Turn on Goodnight"
B- "Turn on Scene Goodnight"

"A" was the syntax I was attempting to describe.

It just doesn't seem to be enabled for me. For instance, the Scene "Auxiliary Outdoor Lights." There is nothing else in my devices list that has either the word Auxiliary or Outdoor in it, but it simply replies that I don't have any devices or groups by that name, not that it is seeing multiple possible choices.

Another quirk. If I say, "Is the deadbolt locked?", Alexa doesn't even answer -- just does the double tone. But if I say, "Is the deadbolt closed?", it replies, "Checking -- the deadbolt is locked."

1 hour ago, pavalov said:

"A" was the syntax I was attempting to describe.

It just doesn't seem to be enabled for me. For instance, the Scene "Auxiliary Outdoor Lights." There is nothing else in my devices list that has either the word Auxiliary or Outdoor in it, but it simply replies that I don't have any devices or groups by that name, not that it is seeing multiple possible choices.

Another quirk. If I say, "Is the deadbolt locked?", Alexa doesn't even answer -- just does the double tone. But if I say, "Is the deadbolt closed?", it replies, "Checking -- the deadbolt is locked."

In the voice feedback section on the Alexa app, does it look like Alexa is translating your voice to text correctly for the "Auxiliary Outdoor Lights" command? 

7 hours ago, Earl said:

In the voice feedback section on the Alexa app, does it look like Alexa is translating your voice to text correctly for the "Auxiliary Outdoor Lights" command? 

I don't know! My Alexa app doesn't actually show any command that I make to Alexa, i.e., I get no voice feedback section when I give any command for Alexa to communicate with IRIS devices.  I've tried it multiple times in the last hour, with multiple Alexa devices and with Reverb. Although it doesn't show up in the Alexa app, if I have told a specific device to do something, it does carry out the operation.

Log into your Alexa account at alexa.amazon.com through a browser on your computer and you should see all your Alexa "cards". This may help you in your troubleshooting process.

2 hours ago, Vettester said:

Log into your Alexa account at alexa.amazon.com through a browser on your computer and you should see all your Alexa "cards". This may help you in your troubleshooting process.

Even when I go through that browser address, none of my Alexa commands involving IRIS show up as cards. It does what I tell it to do re: devices, but doesn't record that fact in the Alexa app.

I take it no one else is experiencing this? You all see each Alexa/Iris command as a card just like you would if you said "Alexa, tell me a joke?"

My Alexa app doesn't actually show any command that I make to Alexa

Sorry, my post was based off of the comment above.  Anyway, I could be wrong, but I don't think Alexa has ever recorded any Iris related commands.

1 hour ago, Vettester said:

I could be wrong, but I don't think Alexa has ever recorded any Iris related commands.

No problem. But you are able to run Scenes now with Alexa? If so, what convention are you using -- "Turn on . . . "?

No problem. But you are able to run Scenes now with Alexa? If so, what convention are you using -- "Turn on . . . "?

No, scenes do not appear to be working. However, since Alexa is limited to what it can run within an Iris scene (mainly lighting functions), I have found that it is much more effective to setup a group within Alexa.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure how iOS works, but in the Android Alexa app, if you go to "Settings" and then "History", you get the screen I attached. All of my Iris commands show up. If you click on the specific command, it will allow you to play the recording of what Alexa heard. I'm not saying that Alexa and Iris are necessarily playing nicely together in your case, I'm just saying that the voice feedback has been invaluable to me in the past when debugging why skills aren't working the way they should.

alexa_capture.thumb.png.7ed27b20757acffb8f764b8cee4cd3e8.png

13 hours ago, pavalov said:

I don't know! My Alexa app doesn't actually show any command that I make to Alexa, i.e., I get no voice feedback section when I give any command for Alexa to communicate with IRIS devices.  I've tried it multiple times in the last hour, with multiple Alexa devices and with Reverb. Although it doesn't show up in the Alexa app, if I have told a specific device to do something, it does carry out the operation.

Might seem like a silly question, but are you sure you haven't somehow signed into the alexa app with a different amazon account from what your echo is signed into?
It's just really strange that there seems to be some kind of disconnect between your alexa app and your echo... do you use multiple household profiles and switch between them with the echo?
Did you use the verbal "alexa, discover devices", or did you discover new devices from within the alexa app?

2 hours ago, Earl said:

I'm not sure how iOS works, but in the Android Alexa app, if you go to "Settings" and then "History", you get the screen I attached. All of my Iris commands show up. If you click on the specific command, it will allow you to play the recording of what Alexa heard. I'm not saying that Alexa and Iris are necessarily playing nicely together in your case, I'm just saying that the voice feedback has been invaluable to me in the past when debugging why skills aren't working the way they should.

Wow! I wasn't aware of that feature. Upon check, I found that iOS has the same functionality. So to answer your question from a couple of posts back: Yes, Alexa is translating my voice to text correctly for the "Auxiliary Outdoor Lights" command.

1 hour ago, Smitho said:

Might seem like a silly question, but are you sure you haven't somehow signed into the alexa app with a different amazon account from what your echo is signed into?

Now that Earl has shown me there is another source for queries besides the Cards, I can confirm that I am in the correct account.

Old news on both the new features and privacy issues. Amazon is already working on the privacy issues and this has been confirmed by our fearless leader Otto.

Otto Mation likes this