Rules, Scenes and Favorites are now free in the Basic plan
1 1

40 posts in this topic

POSTED 

We’re excited to provide you with these updates to continue to give you the best value and experience possible. Here’s what’s new in 2.2!

Basic gets an upgrade:

Rules, Scenes and Favorites are now free in the Basic plan.

• Rules allow you to choose from 90 different types of “if this happens, then do that” scenarios. For example, if your Halo smoke detector detects smoke, you can create a rule to turn all of your smart lights on and turn your smart switches off automatically.
  • Scenes allow you to control several devices with a single action. For example, your “Good Night” scene may lock your doors, turn off your lights and change your thermostat all at once!
  • And Favorites allow you to tag your most-used devices and scenes so they appear in a convenient place on the dashboard, for faster control of your device.

All of these features were previously reserved for our Premium plan, but starting with our 2.2 release, they will be included in the Basic service.

bh241 likes this

Any idea what the premium plan now includes that the basic doesn't?  I know the graph in the History card is supposed to be premium only but the Care card has had the same graph for a long time.  Also I imagine the ability to add other "users" for different pin and notification options is still premium?  No doubt cameras are also premium.  Anything else or any corrections on my assumptions?

It sounds like the care plan will still be only available on the premium account. Also multiple users and anything that relies on multiple accounts (notifications when family members leave and arrive).
Basic has a more limited history log (1 day vs 14 days)
Of course you can stream a camera live, but you can't record.
I'm betting there will be some new features added in the future that will only be premium as well. I bet if we eventually get some energy monitoring features they will be premium only.
They are probably looking at additional revenue from Pro Monitoring to offset some of the hit they will take when some users drop their premium accounts.
I personally have no plans to cancel mine. 

4 hours ago, Terk said:

I know the graph in the History card is supposed to be premium only

What graph in the History card? I've never seen one (iOS).

1 minute ago, pavalov said:

What graph in the History card? I've never seen one (iOS).

The same one that is in the care card.  You can expand it and see activity by device.

Well I may hang on to my V1 devices now.  I was getting ready to sell them as I have switched almost everything to ST.  If they add geo-fencing and add some better rules I might switch back.  I will wait and see.

26 minutes ago, Terminal said:

Well I may hang on to my V1 devices now.  I was getting ready to sell them as I have switched almost everything to ST.  If they add geo-fencing and add some better rules I might switch back.  I will wait and see.

No risk at this point.

10 hours ago, pavalov said:

Ah. I'd seen the basic activity chart in the care card, but never expanded it. That is pretty cool.

I didn't realize you could do this either.... This makes it quite a bit more useful!

This makes me glad I stuck with Iris though the 'troubling' times, now if we can do something about the constant internet connection...

all in all, it's good news 

According to support, they say the ability to switch from portrait to landscape was causing issues with many of their customers devices (I can only guess they mean something like the Nucleus or something), a lot of us used it successfully on our iPads to get the orientation we need.  Also if you have cameras on your system it requires landscape mode to view those no matter the device so this really doesn't make sense.

I just downgraded to free plan. I don't have cameras or care pendants. Everything I use is a "rule" or a "scene" (either timed lights, or notifications of sensors), even if some of the rules are listed under "Care" in the rules section. (Care card is blank).

Let's see what happens. Considering no offline processing, no notification of the internet going down (something I really miss from V1), devices disconnects causing scenes not to work (and no notification until 24 hours later), if I can save $130 (with taxes) a year, it keeps me from dumping the system entirely.

29 minutes ago, Weather42 said:

I just downgraded to free plan. I don't have cameras or care pendants. Everything I use is a "rule" or a "scene" (either timed lights, or notifications of sensors), even if some of the rules are listed under "Care" in the rules section. (Care card is blank).

Let's see what happens. Considering no offline processing, no notification of the internet going down (something I really miss from V1), devices disconnects causing scenes not to work (and no notification until 24 hours later), if I can save $130 (with taxes) a year, it keeps me from dumping the system entirely.

Never mind you do not lose scenes in the free plan.

I hope they let you record your camera off alarm trigger under the free plan.  

I don't care if there is little to no storage (for free), or a short period to allow you to store it online,  simply put I would hope that function would be considered a rule.   

Any idea for those who downgraded?

45 minutes ago, Terminal said:

Never mind you do not lose scenes in the free plan.

You actually gain scenes in the free plan.

They updated the website to show the differences between the Basic, Premium, and Monitored plans.

https://www.irisbylowes.com/plans/

I think it's great that the rules and scenes are now free and hopefully this will encourage growth and by offering a monitored service,  that's a nice option for those who value that (and it's soo much cheaper than ADT, Xfinity Home, etc.)

I'm struggling a little bit to understand why the middle tier $9.99 premium still exists.

• A Notification list for up to 6 people to receive alerts and alarm notifications
  • Enhanced history service with a 14-day view and visualization of your history log*
  • 3G Storage of Camera Video Clips
  • A self-monitored Care service that notifies family members when loved ones daily routines are disturbed
  • Alarm Tracker™ - real time visualization of an alarm event in your home
  • Additional enhanced in-home, app, and web experiences, such as coordinated colors, lights, and sounds, for even greater benefits from having a smart home***

It's great that rules are free, but it seems a little unreasonable that you only get 24 hours of history in the log.  If you want professional monitoring, you'd pay the $15.   But would anyone feel it's worth $10 a month to check and see what happened in your house yesterday?  I don't think this is worth $120/year but by truncating the functionality could annoy people

Same thing on the camera storage.   I understand their servers aren't free and cost money to offer everyone space for videos,  so if you want 3G of storage and you frequently make recording then of course you'd pay for it.  ex. Nest/Dropcam offers a similarly priced service although you do get non stop footage,  let's just say the concept and price point is similar.

But for me personally, I'm not recording 24/7.  I have no clips stored currently.  I don't need a lot of space.    But, if I have a home invasion,  I want the 10 minute recorded video of the intruder.   Can I have 100 MB free?  That would seem reasonable.  If I recall, I thought V1 had a very low amount of FREE space, and premium brought more space.

Again, it's hard to complain when they make stuff free now,  but they made the history and "basic" camera storage free,  that would make me really happy!

I am using a 3rd party app for video storage and was struggling with seeing $120 worth of value in the other options included in the premium plan so I moved to the free plan.  I really haven't missed any of the disabled functions.

You have successfully updated your service plan to Basic at My Home. The Premium features below are not available on the Basic Plan:

• Up to 3GB of online video storage
  • Alarm Tracker™ (real time updates of alarm events)
  • Care helps you monitor your loved ones' daily routine
  • Expanded History
  • Add up to 6 people to alarm notifications lists

I agree on the camera point.  I have a V1 camera but it is basically useless unless I pay for premium.  I have just added a Ring doorbell and a Arlo Pro.  Arlo has won out.  They give you 7 days free, which is plenty.   I will probably just sell the V1 camera as soon as I get a Arlo replacement.  Just an FYI you can skirt their 24 hour history policy by looking at the unofficial web portal.

One thing I've noticed since moving to the basic plan is that with the unnecessary cards removed, everything I'm using fits nicely on a 7" Android tablet.

Android Screenshot.png