Customer Service Issues
1 1

24 posts in this topic

I know a lot of you adore Iris customer service, and a lot of you hate them. I was the former and am now the latter.

When the pro email went out, I clicked it and went to sign up to get my free 4G modem (which I've heard is junk.) Their database had my address marked as a Business address instead of residential. I let them know that they are using an old database that that has been fixed since 2013. A tier one representative who I do not recall her name told me,

"Your place will be held in the order that you attempted to sign up. This phone call will be your placeholder. We will call you in 24-48 hours."

I called back six days later and was referred to Thomas in tier 2. Thomas again assured me that I was still eligible for the modem however, I needed to reach out to my local municipality to have my address changed from Business to residential. I let him know that although I had taken those steps in the past, I will do it again just for posterity sake. Thomas said "that will not be a problem. Call us back when they change it." I called them back the following day and he said again that it was an issue with me and not their outdated database. He then flipped his stance and said that I will not be receiving a modem when we do get this figured out. He said he would call me in 24 to 48 hours to confirm this. 48 hours passes and I called back, Thomas is out of the office sick so I get to talk to Erica. Erica is a tier two representative as well, she has a kinder heart but let me know that although Thomas said I was eligible and then wasn't eligible she saw the amount of times I've called in regarding this in the amount of times that they've called me regarding this issue, she figures she can get me a modem. She says that she will call me back in 24 to 48 hours. 48 hours passes, I call back and Thomas the snake answers. Thomas says to quit calling back that I will not get the modem no matter what. That really upset me so I called corporate Lowe's and escalated it to the highest tier available. I was told to expect a call from the head of Iris by Lowe's. Understandably, She is a very busy woman and should not be expected to get back to me within 24 to 48 hours like they said she would. It has been three days and I am currently on hold waiting to talk to Erica. She gets back from her lunch in about 30 minutes. I have already been told again today by a tier 1 rep that no matter what happens I'm not getting a modem. I cancelled my Pro membership on the spot and told them thank you the fantastic customer service.

I've got a small setup compared to some, but 120 devices isn't a drop in the hat, I hope I can talk to Erica and figure out what all the smoke and mirrors were about, wish me luck!

Update: I just talked with Erica, basically she said that she's super sorry, but she did everything she could. Now I'm on hold with Lowe's Executive Support. I won't maintain a paid account and will be looking to move as many devices as possible to Smart Things, just ordered my hub.
Update 2: Lowe's customer support laughably transferred me back to Iris instead of Executive support. I'm now on hold with Erica, trying to get me to talk to the right people without being transferred back to Iris. At this point I can just laugh this has gotten so ridiculous. (total hold time so far today: 2:30)

billgon likes this

Sorry to hear that. I know there have been some problems with pro member sign up and addresses.

As a side note, you have more devices than me so your system is not small.

KingBatman likes this

I don't know why customer service stuff like that happens......I admire that you're willing to cancel the service over it.   I did receive a free upgrade from the v1 to v2 backup modem.  120 devices certainly isn't small...I'm around 60 devices.

KingBatman likes this

I agree the customer service is horrible. When they first mentioned the pro monitoring they were going to include local processing and the modem. Both were false. I quit paying completely too. 

KingBatman likes this

Final update:
Executive Support offered to send me the modem I told them it is not worth it, since I'm no longer paying for service. They then offered to send me a $50 gift card. I said no, it's not about that. She replied by asking what I really want. I simply replied I want Thomas to be reprimanded, and the people of the Iris infrastructure to quit being lied to. We have been treated poorly and are frequently lied to. I asked her to have corporate train their sales associates about Iris and to organize their end caps and Iris displays.

I'm not sure I got through to her but she said she will make notes and push it further up the line. She also said she is sending me a $100 gift card for my input and that I can cash that in store (after she called the manager) since I'm done doing business with them.

I hope this helps our cause by shaking some stuff up from within.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a similar problem but was never promised anything as no on can seem to "verify" I was one of the first 100 callers. Some glitch in their system made it so I couldn't sign up with my address and I've been told by both iris and lowes customer service to pound sand. On top of it my system has been almost unusable for 3-4 weeks due to massive delays and random beeping from the key pads and no one seems to know why. 

KingBatman likes this

If I were you I'd call in and ask them to pull up the recording of the first time you spoke to customer service where they said your spot was held. My keypads usually beep uncontrollably when they do not have a solid connection. Usually caused by my modem or router being on the fritz. It's too bad they can't get this under control.

So after my last phone call to them I had gotten an email survey so I wrote back saying I wasn't satisfied. The next day someone called me back. I explained the story again, telling them if they could verify I wasn't one of the first 100 I would be satisfied and would drop the subject. She took some notes and said someone would call me back. Never heard anything but got a modem in the mail the other day. Either I was one of the first 100 or they decided to just give me one for the problems I've been having. Either way, easy to set up and works great. 

pavalov and KingBatman like this

I never even saw this "first 100" email.... I would have jumped on board immediately.
Around the time it went live, I got some email saying they weren't providing monitoring yet because of a law in my area...
I just tried this past weekend and it let me go through all the steps like I was going to sign up... It seemed to verify my address and everything but I bailed at the last minute...  Figured I should probably wait for the email saying it is available in my area...

So I guess those of us that were not in areas where it was available at first didn't have any chance at getting the free 4G modem?

KingBatman likes this

That's a solid assumption. Knowing the customer service of Iris, they were planning on those of you in the affected areas not talking to those of us in the unaffected areas.

4 hours ago, KingBatman said:

That's a solid assumption. Knowing the customer service of Iris, they were planning on those of you in the affected areas not talking to those of us in the unaffected areas.

I'm sure they planned the Pro Monitoring rollout like this. Sneaky little rascals:)

KingBatman likes this

I think they are well aware of this community and they rolled it out this way just to piss off a few selected individuals.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

scunny and KingBatman like this

19 minutes ago, Vettester said:
I think they are well aware of this community and they rolled it out this way just to piss off a few selected individuals.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

According to the last customer service rep I told about this community, she said this forum wasn't official and we shouldn't "waste" our time on here. That all the real answers are on their official community forum. I laughed at her.

9 minutes ago, KingBatman said:

According to the last customer service rep I told about this community, she said this forum wasn't official and we shouldn't "waste" our time on here. That all the real answers are on their official community forum. I laughed at her.

The real answers are here as they have been since this community's inception, since the "official community" was started and since that time.  Anyone that feels otherwise is smoking some good stuff.

KingBatman likes this

17 minutes ago, KingBatman said:

I assume you realize that customer service is contracted out to a 3rd party.  They are only experts at reading predefined scripts.

I assume you realize that customer service is contracted out to a 3rd party.  They are only experts at reading predefined scripts.

Are they? From what I gathered they are all in the same office and all know each other. Some have helped me tear my network apart and rebuild it (routers, switches, etc.)
Some go above and beyond. Others are terrible at what they do.

Next time support makes a statement like this just ask them when the platform was released,  who was the vp at that time and who made the devices available at that time,  all 9 of them.

KingBatman likes this

Update: I was having issues with my Gen 2 smart button, so I called Iris and low and behold, I've been blacklisted. All Tier 1 agents have a do not talk to order on my phone number. I was found in the right after they reviewed the phone calls I talked about above and everything was rectified. However, Iris didn't get the memo, my name is permanently banned from using customer support.

I did get ahold of Jake in Tier 1. He seems to be the type of guy to give anyone a chance. His quote was "You can't get better if you only take the easy calls, so I'll pretend like I didn't read the notice about your account." He helped me out and said that it's a shitty deal no matter how you look at it. He said luckily their computer system was down so he could help me out without tier 2 knowing about it. I would suggest him any day of the week. Very knowledgeable, very polite, overall a good guy. 

Another update, I don't know if I want to be honest in this situation. They told me they were going to send $110 gift card in lieu of a modem (which I got and have already spent on new things for my ST infrastructure.) This afternoon I received a 4g modem in the mail with my info on it. It's brand new in the package. 

Would you guys send it back or keep it?
Thanks!

They sometimes make credit adjustments due to problems we have with the system. Why not call and thank them for the modem and the gift card? That lays it out for them and gives them a chance to say whether they want one or the other back.

They sometimes make credit adjustments due to problems we have with the system. Why not call and thank them for the modem and the gift card? That lays it out for them and gives them a chance to say whether they want one or the other back.

Because I'm blacklisted. They literally won't talk to me when I call in...