How does professional monitoring work
2 2

24 posts in this topic

Since iris gives about zero insight into the professional monitoring, does anyone know how it works?

at what point is the monitoring center notified during an alarm? Do I and other contacts still get the Robo call? How to I cancel the response? Do I or my other contacts get a code word? Or a code word for a hold up situation? Lots of unanswered questions. 

They are notified immediately following the grace period and in my test they called within a few seconds. They follow your notification list in its order. You have to confirm your identity by your pin. Upon an alarm you're given the option to cancel or confirm. Cancel stops their activity, confirm continues the process.

bh241 and CTMaineah like this

As always thank you for sharing the knowledge! Hopefully Iris updates the professional monitoring website soon with more info. 

Is it a Robo call or human call? Any word on an alarm test feature to make sure it works?

Human, I just triggered an alarm to test. I'm not aware of any test function. The calls are from the monitoring station, no more Iris robo call.

It monitors intrusion, smoke, Co and panic. Co and panic gets dispatched, there's no stopping those. 

I like it plus I saved 94 per year on my ho policy which is about 9%. The way I figure the savings just about covers the cost of the service. 

CTMaineah likes this

Update, I just got an update on my ho policy. The discount actually turned out to be 136 so I'm making a little on having pro monitoring. 

CTMaineah likes this

18 hours ago, scunny said:

Update, I just got an update on my ho policy. The discount actually turned out to be 136 so I'm making a little on having pro monitoring. 

So how does this work? I can imagine when I call my insurance agent they are going to say that they don't know anything about iris monitoring and I have to have a "real" security system by ADT or someone....
Is the monitoring done by some well known company that the insurance company would recognize? I'm sure I'll get some sort of run around....

This is a real monitoring company, probably as good or better compared to many. Once active you can print a certificate from your account that has all the information your carrier will need.

State Farm actually promoted Iris when I first started installing it.  I turned in some (many) Lowes receipts and started receiving a discount immediately.  I think it was like 3 or 4%, but every little bit helps.

I've had a traditional alarm monitoring service that cost me about $225 a year, but it got me a discount on my State Farm home owners insurance. I've now switched to the IRIS Professional Monitoring, and will provide the certificate as proof. I've told my agent that SF needs to have an additional discount for Smart Home systems that provide more complete protection than the traditional monitoring.

For instance, the other night my crawl space leak sensor was activated and of course the sirens went off. I had the problem identified and fixed within minutes (filtration system), so there were 10's of gallons of water in my crawl space instead of thousands. Traditional monitoring doesn't offer that sort of thing, and the insurance companies are going to benefit from the more complete monitoring that SH systems can offer. They should be incentivizing customers to install them.

So here is my biggest concern about pro monitoring.
Without it, I have the ability to check my cameras prior to calling 911... I'm having a hard time understanding how this will work when a monitoring service calls me and asks if I want to send someone out...
Are they going to wait on hold while I check my cameras and decide what to do, or are the going to want an answer immediately?

45 minutes ago, Smitho said:

So here is my biggest concern about pro monitoring.
Without it, I have the ability to check my cameras prior to calling 911... I'm having a hard time understanding how this will work when a monitoring service calls me and asks if I want to send someone out...
Are they going to wait on hold while I check my cameras and decide what to do, or are the going to want an answer immediately?

I could easily put them on speaker and check my cameras with IP Cam Viewer while I was talking to them.  I can't imagine that they could not wait the couple of seconds that it would take for me to do that.  That being said, I have posed the question in the Pro Monitoring section of the official forum and will let folks here know what they say.  I am not sure if that section of the forum is open to everybody or just those who have signed up for pro monitoring.

The important thing is that 911 gets called if you can not be reached or are incapacitated.  

The only issue you might have with checking your cameras while they are on hold is some mobile carriers like Sprint don't allow you to use cellular data when your using cellular voice, other carriers like Verizon I think allow this without issue.  Of course if you are somewhere with WIFI that wouldn't be an issue.  Do the Pro monitoring people have access to your cameras once an alarm is initiated, or ever?

For those that are doing the pro option,    how many motion sensors do you have the requirement set to?

Not using the monitored service,   I have mine set to 1.

I get an occasional false alarm,  but it's not a big deal.   I don't think I'd be comfortable having it call the cops every month or two if I don't respond quickly to their phone call.   

In one sense,   professional monitoring would make me feel more secure,   but if by doing so I change my motion sensor requirement,   that feels like a step backwards.   

Smitho likes this

On 5/5/2017 at 5:00 PM, scunny said:

This is a real monitoring company, probably as good or better compared to many. Once active you can print a certificate from your account that has all the information your carrier will need.

I just signed up... I might be overlooking it, but I can't find a place to download the certificate.

19 minutes ago, Smitho said:

I just signed up... I might be overlooking it, but I can't find a place to download the certificate.

Never mind... I found it....
It is not in the section where you choose the type of plan you have (this is where I was looking).
There is a "pro monitoring info" button after selecting "people and places" tab on the settings page.

Support said that a few people have called in and asked about making limited camera storage part of the basic plan and it was discussed on their side

Id say if this is important to you, call in and ask for it as well.  Seems like They've done a good job at adding features we've requested so let's add this to the list 

7 hours ago, Otto Mation said:

The important thing is that 911 gets called if you can not be reached or are incapacitated.  

I guess I'm going to have to be very careful after 5 PM because there's a good chance I might be incapacitated.

Just now, scunny said:

I guess I'm going to have to be very careful after 5 PM because there's a good chance I might be incapacitated.

You are exactly who I was talking about when I made that statement.  :D

Vettester likes this

On 5/5/2017 at 10:19 PM, pavalov said:

I've told my agent that SF needs to have an additional discount for Smart Home systems that provide more complete protection than the traditional monitoring.

Just talked to State Farm about this again. They continue to only offer traditional discounts for monitored burglary and smoke/fire. No additional savings for enhanced SH monitoring. They did offer some discounts on the Safe & Secure Kit in partnership with IRIS a few years ago.