Other Iris compatible 4g backup modems?
3 3

7 posts in this topic

I do not think there is any other option. This one works fine.  Is there a you do not like it?

The modem is unlocked so one option is to add another sim card of choice. I also have some hubs I use off site and use a mobile hotspot routed through a wireless bridge to give me an ethernet connection which becomes a primary connection without cellular fail over.

I just bought this FreedomPop Netgear 6100D Gateway two weeks ago.  I set it up with the Dual WAN feature.  My primary WAN is Comcast broadband and when the WAN port connection drops, the FreedomPop(Sprint CDMA) 4G connection kicks in.  It cost me $49.99 and I changed to the FREE plan without any featured service immediately after I received the device.  The FREE plan is 4G only.  If you worry about the 4G connection, you can choose the $3.99 500MB plan and the device would connect to 3G and 4G.

https://www.freedompop.com/offer/gatewaybanner?utm_oscampaign=FP_US_WebDesktop_Visitor_NA&utm_osplacement=FreedomShop_Top-Ctr_1280x300_Slot0&utm_oscreative=USWLS_gatewaybanner_GatewayBackInStock49

Notes:

1. Connection:  Home primary LAN cable goes to the Netgear 6100D WAN port.  Iris HUB Ethernet port connects to any one of the four LAN ports on the 6100D.

2. Disable the 6100D WiFi so it does not fight with your primary WiFi for channels.  It is just a push button on the device.  Very simple.

So far it's working well? Any details on the free 4G plan? I never trust free. Any limits other than the amount of data? 

9 hours ago, CTMaineah said:

So far it's working well? Any details on the free 4G plan? I never trust free. Any limits other than the amount of data? 

So far so good.  I setup the 6100D on May 5 and it used 57MB that day because there was a firmware update for the 6100D, let's say my setup used a total of 89MB.  To measure the usage, I left the WAN port disconnected.  From May 6 to day, it used 29MB.  Sprint has poor coverage in my area.  I get only 1 bar on the 4G LTE indicator but it worked. One thing I do regrade, I should not have changed to the FREE plan immediately after I received the device.  Now I will have to choose a fee plan to see the connection with its 3G network...which I am not about to do.

Like I mentioned previously, I set it up with Dual WAN.  During my tests, it took about a minute to realize the primary WAN (Comcast) was lost and then connected to the Sprint 4G network.  When the WAN connection is reestablished, it took about the same amount of time to drop Sprint and use the primary WAN data feed.

The Free plan offers 500MB per month so I am not worried about going over.  If you do go over the free data amount, I believe FreedomPop charges $20 per 1GB.  The thing is I got 5GB bonus when I bought my device and I believe there is no way I would run that out at all because I will only connect Iris and ST Hubs to the FreedomPop, all my other devices are on my Comcast.  Besides, after my test, I will hook up the WAN port and the FreedomPop will be a backup connection only.