Glass breaks on sale
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Glass break sensors are $10 off right now. What are people's expirence with them? I've read others posts that they are always on (like a smoke detector) and can be very sensitive. What's the range on them? Does every room in theory need one? And how big does the window have to be for it to detect a breakage?

KingBatman likes this

Thanks for the heads up!  I've been wanting to get a few more.  I've got 3 mounted around downstairs and thus far have been pretty good.  I don't have powerful sneezes, nor a big dog that barks but I do have a home theater and so far have not set it off unexpectedly.  Only time was collecting empty glass bottles from a shelf, and another breaking a ceramic bowl did I inadvertently set one off.

Unit detects up to 12ft. from the window you want protected.  That means mount it on the ceiling where the microphone to the farthest end/edge of the window is less than 12ft.  In theory, and if you have the resources, you can put one in each downstairs room where there are windows or any windowed-room that can be easily accessible by someone outside.  If you have multi-windows in a room, mount it in the middle between/among all the windows while keeping in mind the window's farthest-edge range rule.

As for window size, it's actually stated in the install manual (though not easy to see unless you're really looking for it).  From the manual:

Glass to be monitored for breakage must be at
least 11 in. x 11 in. (28 cm x 28 cm) square. Glass
must be framed, in a wall of the room or mounted in
a barrier of 36 in. (91 cm) minimum width.

Glass Thickness: 1/8 in. (3.2 mm) to 1/4 in. (6.4 mm)

So it's generally about the industry-standard for glass break detectors of about 1ft. by 1ft. minimum glass size.  The installation manual is on the product's "Guide & Documents" section here:

Utilitech Indoor Door and Window Sensor

I have had 5 of them since v1 days and have never had a false alarm.  I have tested them with a professional glass break simulator and they worked every time.