Ideas for unlocking a dog kennel remotely?

12 posts in this topic

We have one of the metal kennels in which we contain our dog anytime we have company. As we now have a housekeeper coming in occasionally in the mornings, I would like to be able to lock him up until she leaves on certain days. She will get there early in the morning and I don't want him to be locked up all day.
I figure I could probably somehow hack a deadbolt to do this, but I really don't wanna spend $200 on it. Any ideas of a cheaper way? I'm thinking there might be some way to do it with a smart plug and some sort of relay, but I'm just not sure where to start.
He is smart enough I could probably train him to push against the door when he hears the sound of the crate unlocking.

Thoughts?

Unfortunately that $16 one on jet looks like it is only battery powered.
The deluxe is AC powered, but much more expensive.
I would imagine it should be easy to adapt the cheap one that takes 4 AA batteries to utilize a 6v power supply and put it on an iris plug-in smart switch....

Bad start to this project... I ordered the opener from jet and received the wrong product. 6870971466b717e3ba1490b8786981a5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I just won an auction on ebay for one of these. In fact, it's the dual latch version... so technically I have 2 to play with.
I'm thinking it shouldn't be hard to straight wire an AC adapter to the solenoid inside and plug it into a smart switch.
Apparently the guy that makes these has a large stock of the old versions that he is converting from battery only to AC powered... so it shouldn't be that difficult.

I also plan on setting a rule so that if an alarm is triggered, the smart switch for the kennel is turned on. This way if there is a burglary while he is locked up he would be immediately set loose.
Also, he could get out the kennel if there was a fire.

thegillion likes this

I was able to get the opener and everything worked out pretty well.
I was able to open the device and hard wire a 6v power supply directly to the solenoid.
When it opens it makes a loud enough noise to get the dogs attention... now I just need to train him to push the door open when he hears the sound.

If anyone else is interested in doing the same thing, I have a 2nd unit (this was a "dual latch" system, so I have an extra little black box with the solenoid in it).
You would just need a 6v ac/dc adapter and would need to do a little tinkering. The previous owner left batteries in these, so the batteries leaked all over the place and the battery terminals are all corroded, but if you are using it the same way I am you would be bypassing the battery compartment anyway.

17 hours ago, thegillion said:
@Smitho Happy I could help.

Thanks for the suggestion, it worked out really well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check the story at the bottom of the email that was sent from iris today :)

(We were one of the motion sensor giveaway winners and there is a little article with a quote about this pet release rig)

pavalov likes this

6 hours ago, Smitho said:

Check the story at the bottom of the email that was sent from iris today :)

(We were one of the motion sensor giveaway winners and there is a little article with a quote about this pet release rig)

I didn't get an email from Iris today?