GE 12726 Zwave 40 Amp Appliance Controller

5 posts in this topic

After about two years, the GE zwave light switch that was running my 1 HP 120 V pool pump stopped working.  It was disconnected more than it was connected, where it used to be rock solid.  I splurged on the GE 12726 ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YTCZZF0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) and installed it yesterday.  It was simple to install and paired up faster than any other zwave device I have.  It did so about 50 ft from the hub, where line of sight takes the signal through an exterior wall, two walls of a garage, then through an 18' diameter above ground pool.  There is a GDO in between this device and the hub.  The front of the box has a couple of LED's showing status and a rubber covered button to turn on/off the load without having to open the cover.  Granted, it's been paired for less than 24 hours, but so far, so good.  I'll update this thread after a few weeks, or sooner if I start to have problems with it.  -Jim C

A few notes for those who may be interested:

The Iris app, Iris+, and thegillion's portal show it as a switch, though Iris shows 'uncertified device' at the bottom of the Iris device page.

On/Off controls function perfectly in all three.

Scheduling and rules work perfectly.

The Iris app and thegillion's portal both show energy usage which appears to be accurate (about 680 watts for the 1 HP motor).  Iris+ doesn't show the device under Energy Usage.

Both Iris+ and thegillion's portal show it as having 0% battery, but it does not use a battery.

On thegillion's portal under Troubleshooting, the device exists under Battery Level (0%), but not Signal Level (EDIT:  I just realized that zwave devices are not listed under Signal)

The model number is not listed under the device on the Iris app, but is listed correctly in Iris+ and on thegillion's portal under Troubleshooting, All Devices.

Terminal and scunny like this

I want one of these but my pump is about 80 feet away and worried the signal won't be reliable enough. Can you confirm if this is at all like the bluetooth units that keep scheduling and timer locally? 

"That IS a bit of a splurge, but appears to be just what you needed. Thanks for the review."

As long as it stays connected, it's exactly what I need.  I'm in upstate NY and have a solar heater connected to the pump.  On a sunny 80 deg day it will increase the pool temp by 5 deg in a single day.  If it rains and is chilly, it will decrease the pool temp by 5 deg or more in a day.  As I'm a wimp, I like to be able to remotely control the pump from anyplace to override the schedule and keep the pool as warm as possible.

"I want one of these but my pump is about 80 feet away and worried the signal won't be reliable enough. Can you confirm if this is at all like the bluetooth units that keep scheduling and timer locally?"

This is simply a 40 amp relay in a box with a zwave enabled switch.  There is no local scheduling.  However, you don't have to mount it at the pool pump.  I only did so because it was convenient and I could replace the existing box with this one in about 10 minutes.  If I have trouble keeping it connected, I'm going to put a junction box there and connect the wires, then mount this box in the garage next to the breaker panel.  If you have easy access at the other end of the circuit that runs the pool pump, that may be a better location for your installation.  

-Jim C

Not a bad idea, I will have to look at the wiring and see if I can break it anywhere fairly easily. But the one thing I was really looking forward to was easy on off. Often I will reconnect the filter or vacuum after swimming and bump the pump just to make sure there are no leaks, I could still do that but would need the phone if I remote locate the panel.