Best pet safe motion
2 2

22 posts in this topic

What is everyone using as a pet safe motion detector? Any that are officially supported by iris vs ones that just work? We just have a cat in the house. 

This one works great.  It did chew through 2 cr123 batteries in 3 months but I'm not sure the batteries that came with it were not weak or defective. I've replaced with a new set and watching it.  The good thing is it comes with a usb cable for a ac powered installation if you have a plug nearby.

https://www.amazon.com/GE-Z-Wave-Wireless-Portable-34193/dp/B01KQDIU52

14 hours ago, scunny said:

This one works great.  It did chew through 2 cr123 batteries in 3 months but I'm not sure the batteries that came with it were not weak or defective. I've replaced with a new set and watching it.  The good thing is it comes with a usb cable for a ac powered installation if you have a plug nearby.

https://www.amazon.com/GE-Z-Wave-Wireless-Portable-34193/dp/B01KQDIU52

It doesn't specify pet safe in the description (just talks about sensativity adjustment). Is it definitely pet safe?

9 hours ago, CTMaineah said:

It doesn't specify pet safe in the description (just talks about sensativity adjustment). Is it definitely pet safe?

I'll tell you how I arrived at it being pet safe and you be the judge.  I was asked to test one of these. Initially I set it on a flat surface at the bottom of an entrance foyer column. One of my cats decided it would be a nice toy to bat around so I moved it to the top of a picture about 6' high on a lr wall. I just placed it on top of the picture and pushed it back against the wall. In other words it was pointing straight out, no downward tilt. It does come with a swivel mount that will oscillate 360 degrees so it could even be tilted upward if necessary. The sensor does have 180 coverage but that appears to be horizontal not vertical coverage.  As soon as you enter this area from behind the sensor it triggers as soon as you are beside it. The sensor in its current position covers a large lr, dr, entry foyer and a large part of a kitchen that is about 30' off to the right with a large arched opening between the areas. I have a 75 lb German Shepard and two cats. In the 3 months I've had it I have never had motion detected during the day when no one is at home.  I have a Halo in our family room and set a rule to turn that light on for 30 seconds from the sensor motion and likewise I have never seen that fail from adult movement in any of the aforementioned areas.  One of our cats naps on the top of the sofa located directly under the sensor so there's been some movement as close as 4' under the sensor with no motion reported.

I do not use motions for security but I do have pro monitoring and I would not hesitate to include this as a security device with my pets in my environment. I would also consider placement somewhere that can use a USB connection for power as I think it's going to be a battery hog.

CTMaineah likes this

7 hours ago, CTMaineah said:

Awesome! Thanks for all the feedback. Just placed my order!

Did you get the GE or Bosch?

I ordered the GE one you recommended. Going to give it a shot. I'll get a second one at some point as long as it works as expected so I can set my alarm trigger to 2 devices.

I also want to get a three-way dimmer set up for my hallway so I can have the lights auto turn on at night to a set percentage when motion is detected. Slowly building my smart home!

On 5/20/2017 at 8:21 PM, CTMaineah said:

I also want to get a three-way dimmer set up for my hallway so I can have the lights auto turn on at night to a set percentage when motion is detected. Slowly building my smart home!

That's one of the first things I did with IRIS - I love the light coming on 20% with motion in the hallway at night. During the day, no response. I have two small dogs, and because of the placement of my IRIS v2 motion sensor, I am able to just use a piece of electrical tape to cover the sensor in a way that it won't read motion on the floor, just upper torso motion. Has worked great this way for a long time. The dogs never turn the light on. 

CTMaineah likes this

Anyone using the Bosch motion sensor with a larger pet? I have one on the way and I'm trying to figure out where I'm going to put it.
Just curious how much wiggle room there is for the size of the pet... the documentation says 31 lbs and under. My dog is small, but a little over that. I think the last time we had him at the vet they said 35 or 38 lbs. I can't remember exactly.
I have a v1 motion in the hallway which gives me a false alarm about once or twice a year. I was considering replacing this one with the bosch. In the hall the dog doesn't trip the V1 sensor because it's mounted up high enough that he can walk under it without setting it off (but a person couldn't). The bosch has a 2nd zone which covers the area below the sensor, so I'm afraid if he is going to be borderline with his size he might set it off due to the different coverage pattern.

Mine came with a cover over the bottom zone window which you can remove if you want it to detect in both.  However I just have a cat so nowhere near 31lbs.

Smitho likes this

Ok, I got mine in and apparently there have been some tweaks to the design... There is a switch that turns on and off the bottom zone, and now it shows the weight limit for the pet is 45lbs.
However.... the instructions are absolutely terrible...  I understand that a large majority of the population today is basically illiterate and/or lack reading comprehension skills... but seriously? Do you HAVE to resort to nothing but hieroglyphics in your instructions?
I have one point of confusion... the diagram seems to imply that you should turn off the bottom zone if you have a pet... but without actual WORDS its difficult to know what the cryptic diagrams mean...

How would you interpret this?

File Jun 16, 7 04 51 PM.jpg

4 hours ago, Smitho said:

How would you interpret this?

It seems pretty straight forward to me.  If the arrow on the adjustment screw is pointing to the dot on the left the the lower part of the motion detector is off and if it is pointing to the dot on the right it is on.

9 hours ago, Vettester said:

It seems pretty straight forward to me.  If the arrow on the adjustment screw is pointing to the dot on the left the the lower part of the motion detector is off and if it is pointing to the dot on the right it is on.

Yep, that is what I got out of it.

On 6/16/2017 at 11:42 PM, Vettester said:

Yes, straight forward at first glance, but look closer; The little graphic on the left shows a dog in the house... the one on the right does not...
That makes me think that you should disable the lower part if you have a pet... Or maybe it only means "large dogs" are not compatible with the lower zone (the dog is rather large in proportion to the house... or maybe I'm reading too much into it). Is the lower motion sensor not pet immune? Or is it ok with cats but not dogs (due to size difference)???? who knows...