Hello and welcome to the forum.
5 5

32 posts in this topic

Hi all, My name is Peter. I am new to this Iris thing as I recieved one for Christmas. I love the thing and look foreword to learning how to get more out of it. However I am not a tech guy. Thanks in advance for the guidance.

Hello All!  Just wanted to pop in and introduce myself.  My name is Barrie and I am a newbie to the system.  I started with IRIS in September 2015 and have, quite literally (according to my wife anyway) fallen in love with it!  "Wife #2" is how Wife #1 refers to IRIS, I just call her "Mother" in honor of Lt. Ripley's struggles :-)  Now if only I could say "Hello Mother" instead of "Hello Ivee" and have it recognize it I'd be stoked!  Anyway, I'm currently running an all V1 installation in a single floor plan consisting of (2) separate V1 hubs on the same network and around 140 devices so far with another 80 slated for installation this year.  Unfortunately I maxed out the number of z-wave devices the single hub would support so I offloaded 40 or so nodes to the second hub.  The system is flawlessly stable and much faster with the load a little more balanced between the 2 hubs.   My background is in Technology so I'm a tinkerer by nature and have had a blast playing with all of the features.  My goal is to have a 100% FULLY automated Smart Home by December 25th, 2016.  Wish me luck!!

Thepurplewing and woofboy like this

I'm new here as well -

We set up Iris last week at our home and so far so good - we have added a few options along and plan to keep building our system as we can.

The reason for starting was that our neighborhood has seen a rise in crime and my wife is a stay-at-home mom and she wanted to feel more safe while she is alone - I'm a full time funeral director so my schedule varies often and my hours are never the same.

I got quotes from several local comapnies about installing alarms and such, and they started at around $900, plus $30+ bucks a month - so far Iris has cost us less than $300 and with the cost savings I'm planning on signing up for their monitoring package when it finally comes out.

I installed the door hinges over the weekend, and my next task is to give their cameras a try. 

-Speedy