All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. V1 Motion Sensors for $12

1st gen contact sensors and motion sensors worked great for me, I have no problem getting more at this price. There are newer versions of Z-Wave and ZigBee protocols that will no doubt be included in the next generation devices. When they come out then these devices won't stand a chance of selling (at least the way I see it), so they are unloading old stock now while they can still get something more than cost for them is my guess.
  3. A buddy of mine that is running ST is going to pick up one of these and I was wondering if anyone has tried one of these to see if they work on Iris. https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/products/ecolink-z-wave-plus-firefighter-ff-zwave5-smoke-and-co-audio-detector
  4. Opinions: how reliable is IRIS for security?

I have used iris for security around 3 years now. I've only had a couple of false alarms in that time and I've found it to be pretty reliable. Once I had a newly install contact sensor that I didn't secure properly fall off a door, but that was user error. The other times it has been one particular motion sensor... it happened two times around the same time of day and same time of the year. I attributed it to something with the sunlight coming through the windows and shadows. If you have too many issues with motion detectors you can also enable a setting that requires 2 sensors to be tripped to trigger the alarm. I will say I've had a few issues with keyfobs leaving and reconnecting in the middle of the night also, but there is always a good reason. We have a designated place to hang our keys, and if we put them where they go we've never had a problem. In the event my wife leaves her keys in her pocketbook and it gets placed in certain areas it can happen. Also with my keys in my pants pocket, if they end up at the bottom of a laundry pile it sometimes happens. I have also experienced this with low batteries. I have found a few things to do to mitigate this issue. #1 Have a designated place for your keys where they should have clear communication with the hub. Key hangers work well. Try to avoid placing them in wire frame baskets that might interfere with the signal. #2 Ensure batteries are not low. This might sound obvious, but I've not found the battery monitoring in iris to be reliable. #3 Create schedules for presence based rules. My keyfob rules which lock/unlock doors or modify the state of the alarm system are not active between midnight and the time we normally get up. This way, if something did go wonky while we were sleeping the doors would not be unlocking and nothing would change with the alarm.
  5. V1 Motion Sensors for $12

Thanks for the tip. I got one for the same price. I wonder why these are getting put out now? They are clearly old stock -- the package has the old logo/1st gen hub pictured, and the battery was dated 7/13.
  6. Opinions: how reliable is IRIS for security?

"Keep in mind that all these systems you are looking at use some type of wireless protocol and are battery operated so there is always a possibility for interference or power related issues that could cause a system failure." And that would be true no matter whose system you were using. If it has wireless and/or battery powered devices then that possibility will always exist. It did take some time but I would say reliability is as good or better than it was with the 1st Gen hub. We don't have all the features that we had with V1, but as far as reliability I would say Iris has been doing well for the past 6 months.
  7. YouTube video for pairing Lutron Caseta

@thegillion, Not needed at the moment as long as it Lutron can still connect to Iris. I switched all of my bulbs from Wink over to Hue. When doing this, I ended up with a bunch of Lutron remotes. I was hoping to put them back to use and Lutron gives me that option. The Lutron Connected Bulb Remote works with Hue bulbs, but the 2 button Pico remotes only work with Lutron switches.
  8. Yesterday
  9. Iris web portal V1.3.1

Thanks John, I'll check this out on my iPad when I get home tonight.
  10. Opinions: how reliable is IRIS for security?

I have had my Iris system for over 4 years now and I have to say that it has served me well as a security system. The handful of times that I have received a false alarm can be attributed to user error or as @sparc pointed out, key fob presence rules gone awry. There have been some significant improvements since Gen 2 was first introduced and I would say that most of the connectivity issues are have been resolved. Keep in mind that all these systems you are looking at use some type of wireless protocol and are battery operated so there is always a possibility for interference or power related issues that could cause a system failure. I would say that Iris would be a good fit for you and can honestly say that if I had to start over I would would more than likely stay with my first choice. However, if you decide you want to include video surveillance as part of your security system there are better solutions out there than what Iris has to offer.
  11. Iris web portal V1.3.1

Update 1.3.1 Added icon size dropdown to control panel.
  12. YouTube video for pairing Lutron Caseta

@rdisom Just in case you need them. Install the Lutron bridge as described in the manufacturer's instructions. Download the Lutron app and create a Lutron account. Pair your Lutron devices to the Lutron bridge using the Lutron app. Tap 'Next' to log into your Lutron account. Linking your account to Iris allows information sharing between Lutron and Iris.
  13. YouTube video for pairing Lutron Caseta

And....now it's gone. Bummer.
  14. Opinions: how reliable is IRIS for security?

Smartthings has no built-in support for delayed alarm triggering so that you can use a keypad to prevent an alarm when you enter. So, when you open a door, the alarm will immediately trigger. You don't get 30 seconds to enter a code on a keypad to prevent the alarm. And, once the alarm triggers, you must use the official SmartThings app to cancel it. You cannot use the keypad to cancel an alarm once it is triggered. Smartthings recommends using the app and geofencing to disable the alarm when you arrive. This works most of the time, but sometimes it doesn't. If you have a siren, the few times this happens are enough to remove the siren. Also, you can't just give a cat-sitter a PIN to use for the alarm. HOWEVER, there are definitely ways to get entry and exit delays working in SmartThings with 3rd party apps/solutions posted in the forums, but it can be tricky to set up and maintain and are not supported by ST. Other than that, I have no problems with sensors disconnecting with ST (but I am using 100% z-wave sensors.) If you are technical and don't mind tinkering with the system, it can be a good security system.
  15. GE Devices Having Trouble

It has happened to me a couple times, but not in the last 6 months thank God. It's a PITA to get them working again. Don't wish you the pain of restoring everything but glad to see it's not just me that it happens to, as I was beginning to think I was crazy.
  16. Opinions: how reliable is IRIS for security?

Funny you should ask. Just last night, for the first time in over 6 months, for some reason the hub decided I left the house in the middle of the night and started to set the alarm. I know this because I heard the beep on the keypad right outside the bedroom and it woke me up. I had not set the alarm last night for some reason, so it was off. Looking in history it shows that I left at 3:27 am and ran the Away scene then that I returned at 3:30am and ran the Home scene. But in reality I disabled the alarm by the keypad so the Home scene never ran. Of course the Away scene, however that was triggered was not by me actually leaving. Only the wife and I were home and both asleep. My keyfob and phone are both in the house. I can only guess that the keyfob lost connection to the hub for those 3 minutes, but the battery level shows as 100% today. Checking the hub from the app it has not lost connection or rebooted in over 3 days, so the hiccup is not there. My keyfob says it last paired on July 20, 2016. Same for the wifes' keyfob, been online since July 22, 2016.
  17. Appears that iris has no presence at CES again

I read that there is a new Z-Wave 700 series chip available soon which will offer many improvements and new features over the current Z-Wave Plus chips which are the 500 series I believe. Key features of the 700-Series platform include: Low power: 700-Series will have best-in-class low power radio performance enabling multiyear battery lifetime and more than 10-year sensor lifetime on a coin-cell. Long range: 700-Series platform will enable range of more than 300 feet, covering multi-stories in a house and the far end of the yard. Low cost and fast time to market: 700-Series gets developers started fast with low cost developer kits, tools and readymade certified reference code ensuring minimum time from prototype to certified product. High performance: Powerful ARM®-based platform with large memory on the chip and many peripherals, enabling intelligence at the edge with fast energy efficient computation and secure inclusion in less than one second. Certified interoperable and backwards compatible: Every 700-Series device will have the highest level of security in the smart home with Z-Wave Security 2 (S2) framework and consistent easy install with Z-Wave SmartStart. https://www.sigmadesigns.com/news/sigma-designs-unlocks-full-potential-smart-home-next-generation-z-wave-700-series-chipset/
  18. V1 Motion Sensors for $12

Well if I had known the ZigBee outlets had energy monitoring I would have gone for them long ago. But I would have had to order them because this is the first time they have been available in the store, always an order online for me which I certainly could have done and would have if I had realized they had energy monitoring. So maybe I will go pick up those two that they have on the shelf and give them a try. I could use more if they work out. I have always had better reliability with ZigBee than Z-Wave here for some reason.
  19. I’m considering getting IRIS because I really like it’s potential, flexibility, and affordability. But I’m mainly looking for a system that gives me reliable security monitoring, and I want to understand if the current IRIS version is a good fit for that. I realize this may be nuanced and subjective, but please share your opinions (note: I’ve posted this to the IRIS official community, and got a good reply from an IRIS tech, but no user opinions so far….) To be specific, I will compare IRIS to Abode and SmartThings, which I consider to be DYI systems with a similar set of features at affordable price. Abode is limited with automation and supported devices, but it’s well thought-out for reliable and dependable security, and it just works out of the box in an “arm it and forget it” kinda way. SmartThings has superior automation and integration, but users complain that it’s unreliable… e.g. often failing to recognize sensor open/close status, delays in arming/disarming, or in communicating notifications to the app, etc. Where does IRIS fit in that spectrum? Browsing the forums, I see issues with devices disconnecting from network, not receiving push notifications, etc. So, I get an impression IRIS is more like SmartThings – great for automation, but less so for security. In my case, I’m away often and for long periods, and I need a system that will arm when I tell it to, will not be sending me constant false alarms (especially if I use police pro-monitoring), will keep most sensors working, and will not require me tinkering with it every week to fix issues. It doesn’t have to be great, but it needs to be reliable in the basic security/usability aspects and not cause me major headaches while I’m away. I’ve got a good reply from an IRIS tech and it looks like IRIS has a lot of intelligence to gracefully handle some issues, like requiring more than 1 motion sensor to trigger before an alarm, or letting me arm the system even if some sensors fall offline, and adding them automatically later when they come back… Still, how isolated or widespread are this kind of problems with IRIS? Is Iris a good solution for me?
  20. Appears that iris has no presence at CES again

Over on the community forum they stated that there just wasn't enough interest in it. That is the main reason I ended up buying a ST hub and moving most of my devices to ST. Here is a quote from the community manager at Iris
  21. Last week
  22. I'm assuming that this isn't a technical limitation with V2? Do we have any information on why Lowe's would forego a feature that is obviously important to many people, and those who purchased these devices, assuming they would be supported? Thanks for the info on the supported list. I hadn't thought of putting Iris in pairing mode to find the supported devices...
  23. Appears that iris has no presence at CES again

I'm with you on the Aeon meter but it's not going to happen. The list of supported devices can be found in the Iris app. Without digging into the app a few come to mind that were added last year. Google Home, Amazon Echo, Yale Locks and the Philips Hue line.
  24. Rather, Pavlov quoted an Iris spokesman... If Lowe's has added support for "dozens of devices" in 2017, is there an official list? While I'm sure that some non-Iris devices are supported, all of the third-party sensors (and one siren) have paired but appear as non-supported devices. I did search the Iris community site for "supported" but no list of supported devices was found. Would love to see the Aeon Labs power meter supported again, as I have two of them wasting away in a dormant state...
  25. Appears that iris has no presence at CES again

On a related topic, an Iris Community Manager finally posted a response to a post started many months ago (July) in the Community Forum entitled "Is Iris going to be around much longer?": https://community.irisbylowes.com/t5/Professional-Monitoring/Is-Iris-going-to-be-around-much-longer/gpm-p/2742#M59 "Hi, Short of something unforseen involving zombies or perhaps a large asterioid, the end is most certainly not nigh for Iris. It is disappointing that your local Lowe's store's Iris display was not up to your (and our) expectations; we work with our stores to try to make sure your shopping experience is as good as it can be, and it sounds like this wasn't the case for you, which we will look into. In 2017, the Iris team added support for dozens of new devices, released an enhanced web user experience, introduced a reamped Security system and introduced Professional Monitoring, and shipped dozens of smaller features and fixes. Our 2018 plans are just as packed and we will continue enhancing and growing the Iris platform and ecosystem. Thank you for being an Iris customer and for posting here. Customers like you are why we do what we do. Happy New Year to you and your family! -Mike"
  26. GE Devices Having Trouble

I had six of the above-mentioned devices all go offline at the same moment, also during the same timeframe mentioned. However, all three of my newer GE Zwave Plus switches (purchased from Lowe's) were completely unaffected. Four of the older switches came back online in about eight hours, and the last two came back at about four hour intervals. One of the affected switches was within 10 ft of the hub. At my other house, with a similar mix of GE switches, had no disconnects at all. I note that the switches that did disconnect had no prior disconnects at all except during power failures.
  27. V1 Motion Sensors for $12

The GE Zigbee devices report energy. I use one on my air handler to let me know when the ac has turned on or off since we no longer have whole house energy monitoring. But I can't really complain as we do have the Santa tracker. Can't wait a year to use it again.
  28. All, I filed this on the IRIS Community board under their Bug reports for Android App. 2.8: --------------------------------- 2.8 App in general, including the fingerprint feature, works pretty well. However, this is a minor annoyance in the fingerprint prompt. I woke up my Android phone (Galaxy S6) and was given the IRIS App login screen with the fingerprint prompt since that's where I left the app. when I put the phone to sleep. However, I wasn't planning on using the app. so I hit cancel which correctly closed down the app. but (in my opinion) incorrectly logged me out all the way. The next login into the app. I had to re-enter my e-mail/password. Closing down the app. and logging back in correctly invokes the fingerprint function from this point. Suggest not logging out the user completely when selecting "Cancel" on the fingerprint verification step.
  1. Load more activity