Contact Sensor For Garage Door
1 1

21 posts in this topic

I haven't seen it mentioned in any other posts, but is anyone using a contact sensor

to detect the state of the garage door? 

I secured the magnet to the door using the 3M adhesive, not the crappy included tape.

I did have to turn it 90 degrees from the usual  position for mounting. 

Then screwed the sensor portion to the frame.

It seems to work well so far.

post-3783-0-57810900-1438563504_thumb.jpg

I did for a couple of years before the tilt sensor became available.  I used two sensors mounted on the rail and one magnet mounted on the door to report movement in either direction.

So why not just use the Iris Garage Door Opener? It comes with a tilt sensor that essentially does the same thing. 

I agree now but neither the GDC or tilt sensors were available until about a year ago.

Not to mention that the contact sensor is the cheapest (and probably the most reliable) solution. I have been using them on three garage doors for well over a year now with no issues. Given the number of problems with the Iris garage door controller, this is probably the better solution for now. 

Note to @awraynor: Your sensor is mounted upside down. The dot side should be closest to the magnet - I mounted one as shown and it worked fine at first but then started falsing. When I turned it around, it worked fine.

The only problem I had was the slop in the door rail. Sometimes the door would move in the track over a period of time and not be close enough for the magnet to activate the sensor(s).

Speaking of contact sensors, check this out:

http://nycesensors.com/products/ncz3011/

They make the tilt sensor and forthcoming hinge sensor.

It's available now and shows it's compatible with Iris.  I'm not sure that it is compatible but it's very small.  It looks like it's the same size as the tilt sensor which is not noticeable unless you're looking for it. Maybe something coming in the future.

Not to mention that the contact sensor is the cheapest (and probably the most reliable) solution. I have been using them on three garage doors for well over a year now with no issues. Given the number of problems with the Iris garage door controller, this is probably the better solution for now. 

Note to @awraynor: Your sensor is mounted upside down. The dot side should be closest to the magnet - I mounted one as shown and it worked fine at first but then started falsing. When I turned it around, it worked fine.

Ah crap. I don't think I knew it had to be mounted with the dot closest to the magnet. Only 3 of 18 are mounted with the dot on the sensor closest to and aligned with the dot on the magnet. If I turn all 15 sensors around do the magnets have to be turned around so the dots will align. 

If I have to move them I may have to use screws on the sensors. Peeling the backing off of the 3M adhesive is a major pain in the behind. 

I don't have a garage door controller yet, but found two contact sensors in one of the Smart Kit boxes so tried this. 

You should be able to just unsnap them from the mount and rotate them. The magnet is the same on either end.

Crud again. The cutout for the battery only allows the sensor to snap into the base one way. My

compulsiveness will not allow me to not have the dots matching up.

And I'm out of the 3M adhesive so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

Crud again. The cutout for the battery only allows the sensor to snap into the base one way. My

compulsiveness will not allow me to not have the dots matching up.

And I'm out of the 3M adhesive so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

My bad.  I guess there's a reason for the alignment dots:)

I've been using a contact sensor on the garage door since the beginning.  Mine is along the side of the door on the frame.  Every now and then in high winds it will move the door enough trigger the chime.   Fortunately I only use it for the chime not as an alarm trigger.

I've been wanting to replace the garage door opener so I'm glad I held off on the IRIS garage door switch.  I'll replace with the new smart opener once it becomes available.

My bad.  I guess there's a reason for the alignment dots:)

I even posted the question on Lowes.com. They said align the dots and placed the sensor dot closest to the magnet. I watched the video again and it shows

it the right way, but I suggested they verbalize in the video that you also need to put the sensor dot closest to the magnet.

You can never keep it simple enough for a newbie like me apparently. It was killing me and last night at 10:30 I went around and switched most of the sensors around and 10 out of 15 were still holding well without applying new adhesive. I guess that SC sun melted it enough to work twice. 

At Lowe's they sell the 3M pre-cut strips and I asked for the tape section. In pain they sell the exact same stuff in a roll that is more cost effective. 

It wasn't as bad as I thought and now all of my sensors are aligned correctly.

While I was there I of course picked up two more smart plugs. From 0-46 devices in just 2.5 months, not bad. I couldn't even get close to that with other systems given the price differences. 

I had the same issue.  I came up with this using a small door hinge:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uecg7l2bbmpuypc/photo%20dec%2019%2C%208%2059%2037%20am.jpg?dl=0

Works great.

That is good old American ingenuity at it's finest. After just a few times opening the door the adhesive stuck just fine. What did happen however was the top part of the sensor vibrated right out of the base and was on the floor. When I repositioned the sensors I wrapped clear packing tape around the whole thing as I screwed it back to the wall. I doubt that should fall apart. 

Thanks for sharing. 

While I was there I of course picked up two more smart plugs. From 0-46 devices in just 2.5 months, not bad. I couldn't even get close to that with other systems given the price differences. 

Keep it up.  Once you hit 100 devices you'll get a gold star, a private dinner with Jimmie Johnson and a lap around Charlotte Motor Speedway in the 48 car.

Keep it up.  Once you hit 100 devices you'll get a gold star, a private dinner with Jimmie Johnson and a lap around Charlotte Motor Speedway in the 48 car.

I live an hour from Charlotte, just let me know when he is ready!