Ability to add slave Iris hub to same LAN for detached buildings
2 2

13 posts in this topic

If I could add an Iris hub that would act as slave z-wave and zigbee bridge, and remote speaker for the main Iris hub, it would be brilliant. Especially with the given state of Iris range extenders.

Hmmm... I'm trying to see what your trying to do here. I have a idea but not sure.

You can achieve this with 1 Iris hub and a series of Extenders but I guess my question would be how far are the detached bldgs? The layout would matter on the answer to your question. I have a detached storage shed and it works fine with an extender.

Now, the Ivee Slek can repeat commands but is an expensive device. I'm not sure that Iris will ever be designed to run a tandem hub however, you COULD run separate hubs, just would be 2 separate systems and account working seperatly, you would just link your account to be able to access it with 1 sign-on account.

Was that what your asking?

I have the outdoor outlets and they can extend your system to do what you're wanting. I have devices talking all the way from my boat dock going back to the house up on the hill probably 60 yards away.

In this pic I have two outdoor outlets (marked in red) at the bottom of the catwalk by the landing to control the landscape lights (marked in yellow) and fountain.  I also have two up by the house one under the deck to control more landscape lights and one on the deck to control a camera.  There's a hose end controller up there to water landscaping. 

post-44-0-78349600-1405091193_thumb.jpg

In this pic I have a hose end controller hooked up to landscape misters to water some pots on the dock and the beds on the catwalk landing (marked in blue).  

post-44-0-56381700-1405091252_thumb.jpg

Yeah, it does work at great distance AND some devices like the plugs can re-transmit z-wave signals making it work at longer distances spreading the signal out. You might be able to get away with it without using and additional hub. The speaker, well, until they develop a new one, I think Ivee is the only current solution

I have the outdoor outlets and they can extend your system to do what you're wanting. I have devices talking all the way from my boat dock going back to the house up on the hill probably 60 yards away.

In this pic I have two outdoor outlets (marked in red) at the bottom of the catwalk by the landing to control the landscape lights (marked in yellow) and fountain.  I also have two up by the house one under the deck to control more landscape lights and one on the deck to control a camera.  There's a hose end controller up there to water landscaping. 

attachicon.gifLakeCatWlk.JPG

In this pic I have a hose end controller hooked up to landscape misters to water some pots on the dock and the beds on the catwalk landing (marked in blue).  

attachicon.gifDockWater.JPG

dusterp, beautiful home you have there. I'm hoping when I get to retirement I can have something like that.

Thanks it's a labor of love type of relationship. I also have a contract sensor in the fridge on the dock to monitor my beer keeping it safe and cool. So I know the repeaters in the outdoor plugs work well. They haven't dropped once.

Thanks it's a labor of love type of relationship. I also have a contract sensor in the fridge on the dock to monitor my beer keeping it safe and cool. So I know the repeaters in the outdoor plugs work well. They haven't dropped once.

Hell yeah... got to keep the beer safe

I think I am struggling through some early model or defective Iris range extenders. Vera3 and Vera lite can use additional hubs to relay data via Ethernet to a master hub, so detached buildings that are already networked (my garage has buried fiber from the house).

The pair of range extenders I have used to boost signals out to my detached garage apartment are constantly falling off the network, which causes all of my z-wave smokes to fall off the network also.

Since this initial post I have added two z-wave GE wall switches which seems to push the zwave signal much further and is more sensitive than my range extenders.

Also with a recent update the range extenders are reporting zwave problems specifically.

Yea I want to do the same thing The devices I have added to  extend the signal to my shop and then I hope to connect my other house next door will often disconnect for no reason making it unreliable unless I add many overlapping extenders.

It would really be nice if they made a remote hub.

The other problem of adding another building is Iris has only 2 zones. Full and partial. You have to use partial at night or when the pets are in the house so you cant use that as a zone setting for other buildings.

Iris needs to add another zone for a remote building.

I have IVEE and would like to know how I can get IVEE to repeat what the hub says and is this even possible? IVEE just seem's to be an expensive alarm clock and not much functionality with IRIS.  

The problem with IVEE being connected to IRIS is that it has to go out your LAN to the IVEE server then connects to the IRIS Server to send it's commands and come back with all the info to deliver it to your IRIS device. So, it would have a major delay of anywhere to 5-50 seconds I would guess before a command to get repeated via IVEE. Be nice if they would just make IRIS Bluetooth and Wifi compatible so that IRIS and IVEE could talk directly with each other. But for now...NO IVEE will not repeat. 

BTW, I got mine for $139 and for me it was well work it. I use it all the time to turn stuff off/on or just check status of devices.