Home Depot not a great place

6 posts in this topic

So I prefer Lowe's over Home Depot anyways.....However, you are using an unconfirmed, 4 year old, Facebook story? Home Depot's official statement even said they give a discount every day of the year.  Facebook is good for passing around fake news anyways, but even if it was true I'm more inclined to believe there is more to this story. It's more likely this guy say didn't have a military ID on him or something like that, and got angry they wouldn't let him slide?

"Home Depot's official statement even said they give a discount every day of the year"

Except that they don't. I had a hard time with them too. After a couple times being denied I 
showed a copy of my DD214 and my ID card ... Nope … so I said "See ya, I'm heading to Lowes".

So I went to the customer service desk and got signed up, showed them the same information that
I showed to HD just 15 minutes earlier (since the stores are only a 1/4 mile apart), and I was all set.

So now when I go in Lowes. I get the 10% every time, no problemo as Arnold would say. :-)

That story off FB may be false, but mine is not. Now I only go to HD when they are the only one
that has what I need, and that's not too often.

9 hours ago, sparc said:

"Home Depot's official statement even said they give a discount every day of the year"

Except that they don't. I had a hard time with them too. After a couple times being denied I 
showed a copy of my DD214 and my ID card ... Nope … so I said "See ya, I'm heading to Lowes".

So I went to the customer service desk and got signed up, showed them the same information that
I showed to HD just 15 minutes earlier (since the stores are only a 1/4 mile apart), and I was all set.

So now when I go in Lowes. I get the 10% every time, no problemo as Arnold would say. :-)

That story off FB may be false, but mine is not. Now I only go to HD when they are the only one
that has what I need, and that's not too often.

I'm always skeptical of anything I read on Facebook. I never really go to HomeDepot anyways. Your first hand account though a good story and worth posting. Some random Facebook story, I'm always skeptical of, especially since the snopes link is even unconfirmed.

On a side note, you are the second person I've seen mention carrying around a DD214? I've never done this, as it seems like a lot of personal information to have on me. Is there a reason for this?

No, I do not carry it with me, no need to, but after being denied three times at my local HD in as many months just showing my ID card, I brought a copy with me on the fourth try.

When they shot me down the last time (reason given was not active duty status even though I argued that doesn't jive with your stated policy) I said that's it, I'm outta here. I even showed them a HD receipt from another HD where I had bought a lawn mower because they didn't have the model I wanted in stock. They gave me the discount no questions, just showed my card. On the receipt it's printed right on there Military Discount. Didn't matter.

So I went across the street while I had everything with me and got signed up at Lowes. Then the copy of my DD214 went back in the file cabinet.