GE / Jasco Receptacle Plugs and Switches

4 posts in this topic

I noticed that the SmartPlug supplied with Iris monitors Power Consumption and makes a report of it on the website. Why doesn't it do this for the GE / Jasco Switches and Receptacles? Can this be added or does the Switch/Receptacle not have the capabilities of reporting and transmitting this data?

I think the folks at IRIS essentially used whatever hardware platform was available at the time when they developed software for the switches.  Feels like these switches/receptacles were available before IRIS's conception and therefore, they used what hardware was already developed.  The Z-wave capability was already there for these switches (for other home automation systems with Z-wave), but I bet IRIS/GE/Jasco collaboration only tweaked the firmware for the switches/receptables to be IRIS compatible.  The originals most likely never had any current sensing abilities.

Just my logical guess.

I think the folks at IRIS essentially used whatever hardware platform was available at the time when they developed software for the switches.  Feels like these switches/receptacles were available before IRIS's conception and therefore, they used what hardware was already developed.  The Z-wave capability was already there for these switches (for other home automation systems with Z-wave), but I bet IRIS/GE/Jasco collaboration only tweaked the firmware for the switches/receptables to be IRIS compatible.  The originals most likely never had any current sensing abilities.

Just my logical guess.

Well, I guess my question is, can Iris read the switch/plug to do this? Or does the device have the capability to report the same as the smartplug?

Well, I guess my question is, can Iris read the switch/plug to do this? Or does the device have the capability to report the same as the smartplug?

My guess is the switch/plug doesn't have the capability to do this.

A thought would be to Google for any potential chatter on the the GE/Jasco line of switch/plugs for other open, Z-Wave systems like Vera.  Those systems allow users to dive deeper into Z-Wave messages since users of those systems sometimes have to program some stuff for these devices to get them to do meaninful things.  I'd be curious if someone has informally documented the communication between the switch/plug and their Z-Wave controller.  If the Z-Wave messages say more than just power state / blue LED mode, and actually report voltage/current, I'd be super-interested.